Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cost per wear

(47 Posts)
DaphneBroon Sun 23-Oct-16 23:43:22

Have you ever bought a "bargain" which you have then only worn a few times, making it not such a bargain after all? I am not counting outfits for DCs' weddings, which may or may not get worn again, despite our best intentions.
Conversely, has a really expensive item proved real value for money because it is your "go to" for all sorts of occasions?
Is there such a thing as an "investment" when it comes to clothes?

Jayanna9040 Mon 24-Oct-16 00:04:42

Only if you've managed to develop a kind of individual "timeless " style. I'm envious of those women who look great in well cut cotton trousers, a collared shirt, a sweater tied around their shoulders and loafers. I have tried but you need slim hips and good shoulders to carry it off. So yes I've thrown away endless shirts, slacks, jumpers..........

janeainsworth Mon 24-Oct-16 06:49:06

'Saving things for best' was one of those ideas that was ingrained in my childhood along with leaving a clean plate to avoid wasting food.
With a realisation that 'best' occasions are increasingly few and far between I have resolved to wear my nice things as often as possible, to reduce the cost per wear and to justify the expense in the first place.
They have to be comfortable though so anything that isn't, is being culled.
As MrA likes to remark 'never knowingly overdressed'grin

Anya Mon 24-Oct-16 07:19:43

I do think 'cost per wear' is important. I once bought a black, silky shirt in the 1970s which cost £50... a great deal of money in those days. I wore and wore that shirt over the next 20 years, dressing it 'up' or 'down' as the occasion demanded until it actually fell to pieces at the seams.

It probably cost me 1p per wear. I wish I could repace it with one similar.

mumofmadboys Mon 24-Oct-16 07:46:21

When I buy a new item of clothes I like to think I will wear it a minimum of 100 times! Perhaps I am just mad! Not sure this will app!y to the very occasional skirts I buy but it might do eventually.

DaphneBroon Mon 24-Oct-16 08:18:09

It eases the conscience doesn't it?
I have a couple scarves which cost quite a bit more than usual, and some cheap impulse buys from the market which cost the same as a couple of coffees. But the latter, languishing , worn no more than once, in the drawer are not such a bargain after all.

I am happy to report my gilet(s) (of the Hip, hip, gilet thread)are getting an airing at least twice a day at the moment (smile]

Jayanna9040 Mon 24-Oct-16 08:51:22

Oh, I don't look good in gilets either. Have feeling you look just like my image of what I want to look like, Daphne.

DaphneBroon Mon 24-Oct-16 08:54:50

Do I look like the pic on the website? Not sure jayanna - but how I feel I look in my head is what matters thlsmile

Jayanna9040 Mon 24-Oct-16 09:18:32

Yes, yes, like that! Sigh...........

Auntieflo Mon 24-Oct-16 09:24:12

I know the feeling Jayanna, I too wanted lusted after that pink gilet, but just knew that I would look like a pink blancmange smile

radicalnan Mon 24-Oct-16 09:34:43

I have 2 garments bought on the cheap, one a charity shop cardie lambswool.......and the other a fleece waistcoat.....neither flattering but oh so warm. What they cost to buy, under a tenner the pair, I have easily saved on heating bills. I have also felt cosy.

Thermals are worth the money, cost me over 30 quid for lace trimmed, long sleeved 'vests' love them..........

They wash and dry almost immediately.........

As for posher things...........don't really need them now and fine that my one,wonderful silver pendant makes me feel good enough to go anywhere.one something black of course.

Chris1603 Mon 24-Oct-16 09:39:06

My personal rules are:-

If the new clothing puts a smile on my face and makes me feel good and, of course won't break the bank then it is worth it. If it is in a sale, so much the better.

When the wardrobe gets too full it is either time to cull or stop buying.

I aim to have a little bit more than what I need and try to buy little and often to refresh my wardrobe. Works for me as I enjoy shopping.

Lilyflower Mon 24-Oct-16 10:15:55

I bought a fine woollen printed shawl in Liberty's sale in 1979. I could never have afforded it full price and as it was my budget was severely stretched. I have used it constantly ever since and, no word of a lie, it is as good as the day I bought it.

Lilylilo Mon 24-Oct-16 10:16:35

I bought rather expensive (for me) Joules gilet and quilted jacket both worn constantly thro autumn,winter and spring!
Also White Stuff denim leggings go with everything!
Plus decent shoes!! I just love my Sketchers trainers!!

Tizliz Mon 24-Oct-16 12:06:29

I like clothes that can be moved from one category to another. e.g Expensive pair of brushed cotton jeans from Country Casual (now sadly closed) which when new went well with a matching jacket, then casual wear, then scruffy/dog walking wear and now wear in the workshop (we have a light engineering business). That is good value.

Of course balance out by the numerous pairs of trousers sitting in the wardrobe with hardly any wear - nothing wrong with them just not quite right/haven't caught the imagination.

Its the same with shoes. Bought a pair of soft boots in the summer and have already worn them more than other pairs which I have had for years. When something is right it is great.

Mamie Mon 24-Oct-16 12:30:57

I tend to buy my smarter clothes in second-hand and charity shops. I bought outfits for my children's weddings in very posh second-hand shops and sold them back afterwards. There are brilliant charity shops in the town where my daughter lives and I regularly find White Stuff, Boden, Joules etc. Last year I paid £50 in a charity shop for a beautiful Max Mara cashmere coat and I have worn it a lot. I get cast-offs from my DD when they are not smart enough for her work in London, but still have lots of wear.
I also buy cheap stuff for everyday French country living. I shall miss BHS for that.
I have far more clothes than I need. blush

Rosina Mon 24-Oct-16 12:55:35

I bought a black pure wool coat in a sale years ago; it was perfect in every way, and I felt like a million dollars wearing it. I wore it every winter for about twelve years, and when it started to look a little worn along the edge, that year shawls were in so I draped a bright shawl around my shoulders and wore it for another couple of winters. It was very expensive even in the sale, but what a bargain!

rosesarered Mon 24-Oct-16 13:39:05

I usually just know when a clothes item is 'right' and on all the times I have been doubtful but bought it anyway, it has always felt wrong once in the wardrobe, so goes mainly unworn.I have both expensive and cheap bits of clothing that have really been worn to death, but have to say that anything bought these days doesn't last long, whereas some very old things, over 20 years old are still going strong and cotton tops and tees have very thick cotton, the newer ones are very thin.

Lupin Mon 24-Oct-16 15:00:56

My daughter and I went to a horticultural show 10 years ago and an Irish company were there selling hip length coated linen macs of great style - or so I thought. I cast caution to the wind and bought one. It was VERY expensive. I have worn that mac endlessly. My go to coat. THEN we were on a family day out - a very windy one by the sea - and I had my mac on and pulled the hood up and peered out from under it. I heard someone say that I looked like an Ewok and I haven't worn it since. It is retired in the cupboard - but it owes me nothing. I'm waiting for a Star Wars fancy dress party.

Jalima Mon 24-Oct-16 15:37:50

What is happening with Country Casuals - I wish I had bought more in the sale - I didn't realise that they were closing!

BHS were not stylish but I did get some good cotton trousers for the farm from there.

So where to now?

SueDoku Mon 24-Oct-16 16:04:54

I've got several things that I call 'why didn't I buy six' smile most of which are being worn very selectively to eke them out - the long, very thin cardigan that I bought from M&S the year before last (and have worn and worn and WORN - until last week when I caught the sleeve on a splinter on the door of my dentist and a large hole appeared..!) The Clark's shoes that are the most comfortable pair I've ever had - and are now coming apart because they've been worn so often. The sleeveless woollen top that I bought for a tenner in the BHS sale (it goes with everything, and still looks great - but is starting to fray). The really irritating thing is when you buy something, realise very quickly how good it is - and they've stopped making it. I'm looking at you M&S...) angry

vickymeldrew Mon 24-Oct-16 16:06:35

I bought an Ann Balon lacey dress and jacket for my DS's wedding donkey's years ago. It was too expensive for me to tell my DH the actual price! However, I have really had my money's worth from it. Any cruise holidays (it is uncrushable), occasionally Ascot Races and Henley. It has the huge advantage of expanding to fit my pre-diet figure and flattering a post-diet fugure too.

DaphneBroon Mon 24-Oct-16 16:30:04

Well I am hoping my new glasses which I collected today will justify the £600+ price tag. I should think 365 days a year will bring them down to cheap as chips in no time ..... it had better!

Tizliz Mon 24-Oct-16 16:59:59

SueDoku - I know what you mean. I have a lovely pair of trousers and went to buy another pair or two and they don't make them anymore. It was only a few months later.

annsixty Mon 24-Oct-16 17:15:23

I would pass out from shock if I was asked £600 for a pair of glasses!! My friend was recently showing off her £350 Jimmy Choo glasses and I thought that was expensive.