Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

rights and wrongs of duvet covers?

(46 Posts)
willsandco Thu 13-Mar-14 20:16:26

My friend and I are having a friendly discussion about duvets. Is it right to have a top sheet under the duvet or just to let the duvet cover drape itself straight over you? Interesting? Any comments welcome!

granjura Thu 13-Mar-14 20:20:06

I like to have a duvet without a top sheet to fiddle with and get entangled- but I know people who prefer to have a top sheet so it is easier to wash and they only have to remove duvet cover and wash from time to time.

Elegran Thu 13-Mar-14 20:21:20

Whatever you prefer, no right or wrong. Some people think it is easier to wash a top sheet than a duvet cover. I hate an extra sheet - just something else to get tangled up in on a restless night.

mollie Thu 13-Mar-14 20:24:29

I'd get tangled up because I twist and turn all through the night, I'm a very restless sleeper.

Ana Thu 13-Mar-14 20:25:21

No top sheet. Why complicate things?

mollie Thu 13-Mar-14 20:25:53

Well, that wasn't very clear - meant to say I prefer just a duvet. No top sheet.

annodomini Thu 13-Mar-14 20:54:04

A top sheet under the duvet suits me well because if one has arthritic shoulders there are few things more difficult than changing a duvet cover; luckily I am a very static sleeper.

Charleygirl Thu 13-Mar-14 21:07:19

Normally I just have the duvet cover and no top sheet. After major surgery, I could not physically change a duvet cover for many weeks so it was easier for me to change the top sheet unless I could get a friend to help me. The minute that I could change a duvet cover by myself again I discarded the top sheet. I seemed to get tangled up with the sheet and I am a restless sleeper.

granjura Thu 13-Mar-14 21:31:21

I use the inside out method. I wash and then iron (yes, I know- but I love fresh ironed good cotton sheets and duvet covers...) and then dig into cover and get hold of corners and take hold of duvet corners and flick the cover over as far as poss, turn it over and give it a good shake- easy peasy. We actually have a duvet each- much easier than a 6ft double, and stops the 'fighting' in the middle of the night smile

Charleygirl Thu 13-Mar-14 21:47:12

I have a king size duvet so I do not think that I could even try Granjura's method. It does wear me out changing it and I like it done weekly. No ironing for me though.

Gally Thu 13-Mar-14 22:14:37

I never have a sheet under the duvet - everything gets tangled up and shifts around. The duvet cover needs to be washed almost as often as the sheet so why bother! I have a king size + duvet and just lay the cover on the bed, stuff the thing into the top corners then the bottom ones, grab them and shake like mad until it shoogles about; then go to the sides and do the same. Very good exercise for the upper limbs as it takes at least five minutes to achieve grin. As I am the only one in the 6' bed, I tend to move over to the other side after a few days so it lasts longer wink

ninathenana Thu 13-Mar-14 22:41:28

No top sheet for me, I don't like to feel 'tucked in' If the bed in an hotel room is tucked in I always pull it loose. Even if it's sheet and blanket.

janerowena Thu 13-Mar-14 22:49:46

Granjura method and no top sheet.

Nonu Thu 13-Mar-14 22:51:49

We just have our King sized duvet , no sheet, doesn't seem much point !

merlotgran Thu 13-Mar-14 23:18:49

My sis-in-law is Swiss, granjura. She taught us all how to put a clean duvet cover on. Until then I used clothes pegs to anchor the top corners as I pulled the rest of it down.

No top sheet.

tanith Fri 14-Mar-14 06:35:02

No top sheet here either its just something extra to wash

Mamie Fri 14-Mar-14 06:41:16

No top sheet. Single duvet each on super kingsize bed. Granjura method. All bedding white cotton so no must get it dry to keep it matching problems.

gillybob Fri 14-Mar-14 07:04:00

A few weeks ago I bought my DD a king sized duvet to replace her old double having not realized that it was a double she had and all her covers were therefore double too. I ended up going back to the shop and buying a king sized cover. Apparently there was a good reason why she had avoided going king sized!

I was helping her with some housework and had to sit down and watch the "entertainment" while she attempted to get a cover onto the king sized quilt. My DD is only about 5 ft tall and not very domesticated at all. She was actually inside the quilt cover and looked like a living playing card with her hands stretched into the corners jumping up and down! smile

baubles Fri 14-Mar-14 07:04:40

No top sheet here either. I like the snuggle factor of the duvet and use the same inside out changing technique that has been mentioned.

My first experience of duvets was on a school trip to Bavaria in 1968, I raved about them to my mother on my return. She wasn't convinced and stuck with sheets and blankets for years.

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Mar-14 07:08:15

Top sheet, tucked in loosely at the bottom. It doesn't wander any more than it did with blankets (remember them?). In fact we've found the duvet stays in place better with a top sheet. And it means I don't have to change the duvet cover so often (King size on a double bed). I hate changing duvet covers.

Aka Fri 14-Mar-14 07:37:52

No top sheet either at home, but would prefer one if I was in a hotel.

kittylester Fri 14-Mar-14 07:44:04

The inside out method and no top sheet for us too! Doesn't everyone do inside out - it's just so obvious! confused

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Mar-14 07:48:26

I do do the inside out method but just find the covers so big. Being double thickness they take longer to dry and take up too much space on my whirligig clothes line. So I only change mine once a month -or so! (There, I've said it - I'm officially a slob blush)

shysal Fri 14-Mar-14 08:26:36

I'm with Nfk. When I used to use a duvet, I found that a top sheet, if well tucked in, stopped the quilt moving around and prevented the 'battle of the bedding' with (now ex) DH.
I have slept with top sheet only for many years now, as I am a hot body.

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 08:36:56

Charleygirl- when have have to put a superkingsize duvet cover on, we always did it togehter, 1 corner each- ir works well.

Merlot- which area of Switzerland does your sil live in?