Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Normcore

(34 Posts)
annodomini Tue 23-Sep-14 13:34:43

Heard of it? I hadn't until I caught an item on Woman's Hour this morning. Apparently it's a unisex fashion trend, not quite grunge but about undistinguished clothes. It's said to be 'a reaction to a fashion oversaturation resulting from ever faster-changing fashion trends.' The speaker mentioned jeans, hoodies, sweatshirts, sneakers... Then I looked at what I was wearing: cropped denims, denim sneakers and a turquoise tee-shirt. And until that moment I hadn't realised that I was 'on trend'. grin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normcore

petallus Tue 23-Sep-14 14:15:44

I like the sound of Normcore.

I shouldn't think there would be much profit in it for the fashion industry though.

Ana Tue 23-Sep-14 14:55:51

I think 'Normcore' is a very unappealing name!

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 15:09:29

I never did like the name 'Norman', either, which doesn't help. (although I have a good friend with that name, I find it hard to forgive him)

So what happened to plain old 'unisex'? confused

Starling Tue 23-Sep-14 17:57:00

Apparently you have to "consciously choose clothes that are undistinguished". I am wearing a striped hoodie but didn't choose it consciously. Does this count?

petallus Tue 23-Sep-14 17:59:54

janerowena I don't like the name Norman either. First husband who went off with a woman from his office was so named.

I was always surprised by that romantic song about Norman. I wonder if it was meant to be ironic.

Soutra Tue 23-Sep-14 18:08:09

I believe the GAP slogan is "dress normal" which sounds OK to me and is a million miles away from the rubbish being shown on London Fashion Week (or whatever's) catwalks. Bring back " normal" smile

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 18:09:22

I can't think which one that is. Maybe I blocked it from my subconscious?

It sounds like a wardrobe system made in heaven for introverts. Or me on what I think of as a lazy day!

Ana Tue 23-Sep-14 18:14:06

Wasn't it Susan Maughan's follow-up to Bobby's Girl?

Let's face it, most of us have been 'dressing normal' for donkey's years...grin

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 18:23:53

grin I really hope so! I must google that song...

Oh good heavens there really is a Norman song!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWt0wfNTME

Iam64 Tue 23-Sep-14 18:34:39

I heard some of the item on woman's hour, and realised that's how I dress most of the time. I'm with Soutra - bring back normal.

Ana Tue 23-Sep-14 18:56:21

I won't open that link if you don't mind, janerowena. Unfortunately the blasted song comes into my head all too often as it is (usually at the mention of the name 'Norman' of course!)

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 20:11:45

I haven't looked at the link (yet) but 'I wanna be Norman's girl' doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Even though 'Bobby' always makes me think of Dallas and showers.

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 20:27:12

I wouldn't look at it if I were you, it's dreadful.

Storming Norman didn't help matters, either. Or Norman Wisdom. Apologies to all nice 'normal Normans' out there, I think apart from just one, all the ones I have met have been rather odd!

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 20:31:50

I only know one Norman who was in my age group (actually he was slightly younger). The rest were all much older.

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 20:33:11

Yes, they are all a generation older than me.

Ana Tue 23-Sep-14 20:37:09

And of course there was Norman Bates...shock
(Cue 'Psycho' music)

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 20:49:48

shock Oh yes!

There aren't all that many famous Normans. Apart from the conquering ones.

annodomini Tue 23-Sep-14 21:19:44

I never could see why so many people adored Norman Wisdom! However, there's a Mancunian poet and comedian called Henry Normal and I do like him.

Iam64 Wed 24-Sep-14 08:23:36

I'm with annodomini on Norman Wisdom. I recall cringing as a child, and feeling both embarrassed and sad for Norman Wisdom. I couldn't understand why the adults in my family thought he was funny, and didn't realised there was something sadly wrong! grin

janerowena Wed 24-Sep-14 18:40:17

grin Me too!

hildajenniJ Fri 26-Sep-14 19:21:33

Some years ago I was waiting for a bus when a small boy (about 4yrs old)came running along in front of his mum. She called out to him saying "Norman, stay there". Until then I'd only heard older gentlemen being called Norman. As for "norncore". this is how I dress most of the time.

etheltbags1 Sun 28-Sep-14 20:10:08

nomcore sounds like the way I dress too. Just grab whatever theres at the frotn of the wardrobe, I know it will be t shirt and jeans and the colour will be black, black and more black occasionally purple or grey.
I hate to be looked at and try to merge with the background.

nonnanna Thu 02-Oct-14 19:51:00

At last I am going to be fashionable grin

petra Thu 02-Oct-14 20:15:43

Normcore goes a lot further than just clothes. 'They' are talking about no tatoos, no Facebook/ twitter, no music downloads (bying vinyl records) etc etc. it literally is going against everything that is the norm