Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Fat clothes, inbetween clothes & slim clothes

(44 Posts)
posie Tue 30-Sep-14 18:15:25

I'm usually a size 14-16, but in the winter it creeps up more to 16+ & in the summer if I was lucky it used to go down to a 14.

However a few months ago I finally admitted to myself that the likely hood of me getting back into my slimmer clothes was non existent so reluctantly threw out some old favourites.

And guess what? After some stressful weeks the extra pounds have disappeared & I need new clothes.

Not going to go mad as I'm sure with winter coming it will all creep back on but at least I bought some new jeans.smile

I did try on some warm leggings, as I've seen on here that lots of you seem to wear them, but don't think I look quite right in them.confused

Does anybody else have fat & thin clothes in their wardrobe?

grannyactivist Tue 30-Sep-14 18:19:16

Oh yes! I have clothes from size 14 - 18. The latter are perfect for when I return from holiday having put on pounds and pounds....then I'm back on the 'healthy eating' plan and slowly whittle it away until the next holiday. grin

Kiora Tue 30-Sep-14 21:11:12

Loads & loads and loads of 'thin clothes' I'm fat and will probably never loose the extra weight. Meanwhile I live in hope and my wardrobe is buckling under the strain. hmm

Anne58 Tue 30-Sep-14 22:13:35

Mine range from a size 8 shock to a size 14, which at a height of 5'2" is not good!

just worked it out, that spans FOUR sizes!

So far everyone else seems to be either a 2 or 3 size range.

Strangely enough, all my bras still seem to be a small size sad

numberplease Wed 01-Oct-14 01:05:28

I have mostly size 22, but during the summer of 2013, I lost a fair bit of weight, not dieting, don`t have the willpower, I just lost my appetite for a while. I went down to an 18, but haven`t bought too many things in that size, because I fully expect the weight to creep back on, a bit already has, although the size 22 skirts are still way too big, they fall off me! So, my size variation is 18 and 22, nothing in between.

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Oct-14 04:13:06

Normally 16-18.
Sometimes a spell at small 16.
At present because of arthritis/fibromalgia I haven't been as active over this past summer and the top of me would like to be a size 20.
Narrow back and generous in the chest area.
Trousers are a 16.
I'm either a Quality Street round golden penny, or their green foil triangle. With skinny legs and arms, both best kept covered smile

Mamie Wed 01-Oct-14 05:43:44

Well I am just back from the UK having had a lovely time refurbishing my wardrobe after going from a 16 to a 12 (over a period of about 8 months of sustained and moderate low-carbing).
I bought a couple of everyday denim skirts, a smarter navy one, a tunic top, a stripey Uniqlo top and a smart grey and navy striped sweater dress. In the charity shops (much better for smaller sizes) I got a brand new LK Bennett jumper for £10 and a pretty White Stuff skirt for £5. I also inherited some stuff from DD who is now size 8-10. Spent about £175. I now have to get serious with the sewing machine to take in some of my other stuff.
I have basically lost the weight that arrived, unasked for, with the menopause and have no intention of putting it back on. The low-carb diet is now our lifestyle, so all the cake stuff on here will pass me by. grin

Teetime Wed 01-Oct-14 09:00:28

I used to have a range between 16-22!!! these days are a big effort a few years ago I got down to a 14 so that is now all I have- any creeping up (like now) is dealt with. I always wanted to be a 12 but have decided it would make my face thin - good excuse!!! a lot of clothes went to the charity shop!! Like you mamie we keep to a regime generally of low fat low carb but in the main its just healthy eating with lots of veg and fruit.

Teetime Wed 01-Oct-14 09:00:45

Oh and a lot of golf!

Mamie Wed 01-Oct-14 09:20:06

We don't do low fat Teetime. I have never approved of nasty substitutes for butter, olive oil, full-fat yoghurt etc. I am so pleased that the scientific evidence is now in agreement with that.
We have continued to eat dairy and meat with fat as we have always done and with low-carbing and weight loss have both had a huge drop in cholestoral levels.

Mamie Wed 01-Oct-14 09:28:40

Have just found the unworn, charity shop LK Bennet jumper that I bought for £10 is £175 online. I love charity shops!

annodomini Wed 01-Oct-14 10:12:37

Oh yes! I even found a pair of size 12 cords lurking at the back of my wardrobe. 16 is the current size. 18 up top which makes it hard to buy dresses. However, the doctor took my BP last week and it was UP! I have never had high BP before - blame the steroids I've been taking for three years. But I do have to do something about my weight and next week will venture to Slimming World about which I have been hearing good things recently. I have to go and have my BP taken next week too and if it's not substantially down, I will have a 24 hour monitor and am threatened with tablets.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 10:42:30

a no have you tried taking it at home? Mine always shoots up at the doc's. At home it's fine. White coat syndrome.

Lloyds Pharmacy do reliable BP monitors. Reasonable price too.

Gagagran Wed 01-Oct-14 11:16:02

Spot on Jings - that has always been the case for me too. I have a BP monitor at home and keep a chart of the readings, which I present to the GP periodically and it's always fine. Hate going to the Drs and always get nervous. Many loo visits prior to the appointment needed! grin

etheltbags1 Wed 01-Oct-14 11:32:44

Yes I can identify with you all. I have 2 size 12 skirts elastic waistbands that I wear now and again, size 18 jeans, lots of scruffy t shirts size 22 to cover up my bum n boobs. I have a more formal size 22 shirt (for work meetings that I cannot get out of), jumpers spanning size 16 to 22 etc etc.
As you all know I just put on whatevers clean so I just tend to use the stuff at the front of wardrobe, I have stuff at the back that I never wear so goodness knows what size it is.

I do think that the sizes vary so much depending upon the manufacturer, my friend always buys 2 sizes larger in Asda, I buy 1 size smaller in Evans as they are so generously cut, in the past M&S have been generously cut but not bought from them recently. I also buy smaller in Bon marshe.

annodomini Wed 01-Oct-14 12:25:28

jings, I suggested to my GP that I was suffering from white coat syndrome. He just looked at me and said (straight faced), 'But I'm not wearing a white coat.' hmm I will go to my friendly Health Care Assistant for the next check.

merlotgran Wed 01-Oct-14 13:01:08

I am a size 14/16 for skirts and trousers but nothing smaller than an 18 for tops. I haven't got big boobs but I like tops to be loose so I even have some size 20 shirts to go over T shirts.

I've noticed a huge difference in my shape since I switched to gluten free bread. I was suffering from bloating and mild IBS symptoms but it all disappeared when I stopped eating supermarket bread. I'm so pleased with my improved shape that I think I'll replace my breadmaker (the old one blew up) so I can experiment with buckwheat and spelt flour recipes.

I could give up bread altogether I suppose but I do a lot of active work outside so I need a few carbs in my life.

Mamie Wed 01-Oct-14 13:12:18

We use spelt flour merlot, it is great. We don't have more than 50g of bread a day though and total carbs are 150g. We use pearled spelt, pearl barley, red rice, new potatoes and all sorts of beans and chickpeas as basics, We work in the garden too, but because we have plenty of protein we don't get hungry. I think I am turning into a diet bore so I will shut up now.
grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 13:20:14

Anno grin They just don't understand do they? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 13:21:09

I've got a packet of spelt flour in the cupboard. Bought it in France, probably last year. Must get round to using it.

Anya Wed 01-Oct-14 13:51:39

I've got a packet of spelt flour in the cupboard to. Not the foggiest when or why I bought it and haven't a clue what to use it in or for. There's a packet of soya flour there too hmm

Anya Wed 01-Oct-14 13:52:00

...too...

shysal Wed 01-Oct-14 14:04:28

Spelt flour makes lovely bread, with a sort of nuttiness!

shysal Wed 01-Oct-14 14:07:05

Another white coat syndrome sufferer here. I seem to remember that even Galen, our resident medic, mentioned that she suffers from it too!

janerowena Wed 01-Oct-14 14:30:48

Yup, white coat syndrome here too but all the Drs at the surgery recognise it!

Between 14 and 18 here too, big boobs which re a real nuisance so I possess lots of bras in different sizes. Currently 16, will be 18 after xmas and 14 in time for summer holidays. With SAD comes a real need for carbs, this year I am trying to allow myself only one starchy item a day.

In the meantime, I have three sizes of trousers stacked in different wicker baskets. Jeans and smart ones and I have managed to cut back on the storage by shifting to more forgiving leggings and treggings. As the boobs stay between 16 to 18 I can get away with tops that fit both sizes.

However - my feet also change. So I possess 5s and 6s, wide 5s for swollen but smaller summer feet and narrower 6s for the winter to accommodate thicker socks but for slimmer feet.