Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shopping for wedding outfits.

(50 Posts)
Leticia Sat 22-Nov-14 15:47:31

My son is getting married next year-does anyone have suggestions of where to shop for an outfit? I want a fairly plain dress and jacket. Dress must be mid calf length-(this is always the difficulty). I want to take the jacket off in the evening and so the dress needs sleeves. I am willing to pay more than usual, but don't know where to start!

glammanana Sat 22-Nov-14 16:08:24

How lucky you are Leticia it's such an exciting time,my youngest boy got married over 12mths ago and my eldest boy gets married in 2016 still a long way off but I can assure you it will be on us in no time at all.
When I first looked for outfits I went on e-bay to look at the styles rather than spend hours walking around shops,they had all the names I wanted to look at,Frank Usher/Jacques Vert/Presen/Phase Eight etc,I did buy my hat from e-bay a massive Jaques Vert creation which everyone loved and commented on.
I would chat with your future DIL and see what the colour scheme is going to be and try and match in with it,don't do what I did and buy a red suit and she decided on pale blue trimmings I would have looked daft in the pictures so I ended up buying another dress and jacket and buy shoes you will be comfy in as the photographs take ages and my 5inch heels near crippled me,but enjoy looking and don't feel you have to buy the first thing you see keep looking.

soontobe Sat 22-Nov-14 17:01:24

I would echo lots of what glammanana has said.
I looked online in general. Particularly Jacques Vert[expensive, but they generally include hat, bag and shoes to match if you want it all]. And Phase Eight. I found the hat great, the shoes a bit optional, and the bag not that essential.
Agree about colour scheme, you might even want to take your future dil with you when you shop. Or someone else whose opinion you value. Or go on your own first, and then take someone for some confirmation. I found that the ladies in the shops were helpful, but sometimes they disagreed with each other!

Soooo agree about the heels. I bought the ones that went with the outfit. And they were fine in the shop[ie the 20 minutes they were on my feet].
But longer than that, ouch. I had to take them off at opportune moments during the day.

I went to a couple of wedding fairs, where there were some dress shops in attendance. Some of the bigger stores have personal shoppers[not sure if that is their right name]. I didnt end up using those stores, so cannot comment about how helpful they are.
Some of the intividual boutique stands there did comment that their new stock for the year comes in in January.
I think that other stores stock come in a season or two ahead, so eg now stock would be for spring?

Take time looking online, and have fun!

Leticia Sat 22-Nov-14 19:48:55

Thanks for your help. I am waiting to find out what the colour scheme is- yet to be decided. High heels are definitely out- I am all for comfort theses days! Will start with Ebay.

Treebee Sat 22-Nov-14 22:15:54

I found Debenhams, House of Fraser and John Lewis good places to look as they all have selections from different makes.
I have 2 daughters and took the relevant one along with me when shopping for her wedding. Could your daughter in law to be accompany you? This way you should fit into the overall plan.
Have fun!

Leticia Sun 23-Nov-14 07:35:35

I think I will take her, but I need to do the footwork first - I am not a good shopper at the best of times!

Grannyknot Sun 23-Nov-14 07:53:42

HI Leticia when my son got married a year or so ago, I found a fabulous Jaques Vert dress on Just Last Season - for £50! I wasn't looking for a bargain, I just loved the dress (caramel colour with soft pink polka dots). I read about the website on here.

www.justlastseason.co.uk/just-last-season/?gclid=CjwKEAiAhcGjBRDot_fjjtPKrgsSJACNYh76nLvaOKZn1URrumt_ZVLIchIufpmeeeoxhkRGKHuUShoCMVzw_wcB

Have fun, it's a very special occasion.

suzied Sun 23-Nov-14 07:54:27

It depends on your budget. I would make my own outfit, but maybe you have a local seamstress who could make you a bespoke outfit, I would do a silk semi fitted dress with lace sleeves( not too bulky under a jacket) and a short cropped collarless jacket to slip over. This way it would fit perfectly and you could have exactly what you want in whatever colour you fancy. Why not get a quote? It may cost less than you think and it is a one off special occasion. Have a look at vogue patterns to see if there's any shapes or styles you like to get an idea.

FlicketyB Sun 23-Nov-14 08:23:39

When DS got married I couldn't find anything I liked anywhere so I discussed it with DDiL and she was happy for me to wear a silk suit I had bought several years previously and only worn twice. I revamped it with some braid round the edge, new blouse, shoes and bag. I am also not a hat person and neither, to our mutual delight, was DDiL's mother. I had my, then, mid length hair in a French pleat with three copper orange roses pinned into it, which matched my outfit.

At the end of the day, nobody actually notices what the mothers or anyone else is wearing. It is the bride and bride's maids dresses that guests remember and talk about.

kittylester Sun 23-Nov-14 14:57:43

I hate MOTB outfits with a passion maybe because I am shortish and widish rather than slim and elegant!

I usually go for plain, single colour top and trousers with a striking jacket and some sort of hair decoration in a colour from the jacket.

Leticia Sun 23-Nov-14 15:29:18

Thanks for the website. I am thinking of having something made because I know what I want-just don't think I will find it. The length of the skirt rules most things out. Will try Vogue patterns in the week. DIL, to be, now decided on blue for bridesmaids. Glad I asked on here-very helpful-thanks.

Leticia Mon 24-Nov-14 07:50:32

A good website Grannyknot - good reductions.

shysal Mon 24-Nov-14 08:08:27

What a great website Grannyknot! I nearly bought some tops, but y either they didn't have my size or they looked a bit short on quick view. I have made a note for future needs.

elena Mon 24-Nov-14 13:57:51

That's a great site!

When DD1 married three years ago, I went to 8 posh frock shops, in four different towns, and I worked out I tried on about 40 outfits...in the end I bought a Paddy Campbell outfit online, a dress and a jacket, and I hired the hat from the local hat hiring shop. Paddy Campbell is designer, and the prices are way more than I ever normally pay, but in the end I thought it was worth it.

I ordered the 12 and the 14, 'cos I can hover between those sizes, and I sent back the 14.

Shoes - I bought a pair of heels for the photos and then swapped to some stylish flats, as I can't wear heels for more than an hour or so at a time.

DD2 is marrying next summer and I am determined not to do the whole traipsing round thing again - might go straight to Paddy Campbell.

Grannyknot Mon 24-Nov-14 15:31:27

I remembered I had posted a photo of myself in the dress (on an old thread) - here I am in my 50 quid dress at my son's posh wedding smile

www.gransnet.com/forums/pictures/1206710-The-Dummies-Guide-for-Uploading-Pics

Happy memories.

Leticia Mon 24-Nov-14 17:29:11

Lovely photo GrannyKnot- looks great. I am looking into Paddy Campbell. We have a good hat hiring shop locally so that shouldn't be a problem.

rosequartz Mon 24-Nov-14 17:48:43

A couple of tips (which you can ignore if you like!) is to find out what the mother of the bride is wearing and try not to out-do her! Ask your future DIL what colour theme, if any, she is choosing for the wedding (bridesmaids' dresses, etc) and try to tone in but not match.

When DD got married I was Jacques Vert top to toe, but I did take a more comfy pair of shoes with me which I put behind the bar and was very glad of later on. It is the only time I have worn that hat, so if you are not a hat person I wouldn't bother! The shoes are still in a bag at the top of the wardrobe. I should send them to the charity shop. I got the whole lot at a Jacques Vert outlet in a 'designer village' after looking everywhere for weeks.
When DS got married it was winter and I wore an Alexon top and skirt with a red jacket, which was quite Christmassy and I have worn quite a lot since.

rosequartz Mon 24-Nov-14 17:52:47

Kitty I like plain, too, and the Jacques Vert outfit was plain blue with a bit of neckline cream trim, straight and simple skirt, top and jacket.

Coolgran65 Mon 24-Nov-14 19:01:26

I married my DH 10 years ago, after 7 years together we got married at 3 months notice. My friend and I went into town for 10am. First shop - I tried on a chiffon like floaty ankle length dress with scoop neck and narrow short sleeves. The same fabric ankle length floaty coat had fine random fabric stitched on for effect. Big hat in same shop. Got shoes dyed to suit in same shop, low heels. All in toning aubergine shades.

I was home by 11.30am, job done.... so fortunate to have found just what I wanted so easily.

Wore the entire outfit again as mother of groom, 6 months later.
Many guests were at both weddings and I loved wearing the same outfit again.

Ariadne Mon 24-Nov-14 19:07:30

But there are some appalling outfits around, aren't there? Full of pastels and polyester and fascinators...

Leticia Mon 24-Nov-14 19:09:46

I am going to find out what the mother of the bride is wearing-but I doubt she has thought about it yet.

rosesarered Mon 24-Nov-14 19:44:43

It's a minefield, looking for MOB outfits, I have had to do this 3 times in the last 10 years, and each time was difficult if you don't want to go down the pastels and big hat look [and I sure didn't.]In the event I bought items that I could wear again for different social do's, by going for a skirt, top and jacket, that co-ordinated, but each item could be worn with other things.So out of the 3 outfits, that gave me three lovely jackets, 3 skirts and 3 sleeveless tops. They have all had plenty of use, and I felt 'me' on the day not a dressed up dummy.I did find out what colour the other Mother was wearing first though, not that it would matter if you clashed, but we didn't want to turn up in the same colours [it has been known!]

trisher Tue 25-Nov-14 20:11:39

I found shopping for a wedding outfit as MOG a nightmare. It seemed I had to be squeezed into something pastel and fitted, or settle for something looser and "grannyfied"- hope you understand what I mean by this! I toured the shops and tried on loads of stuff- none of it was me. I finished up at Boundary Mills where I found a dress that would go from day to evening and was stylish without being OTT and a jacket which went well with it. I have worn both on separate occasions since.

Leticia Tue 25-Nov-14 20:52:01

My first thread and I have made discussion of the day!
I am going to look at pattern books tomorrow-having something made is probably the way to go. All shops will be winter wear and I need it for May.

matthewkevin Mon 01-Dec-14 13:12:31

That’s really very nice to read your shopping for wedding.