Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eye cream/gel

(26 Posts)
tanith Mon 30-Mar-15 11:39:26

I've been trying a Olay Anti Wrinkle and Lift Eye Gel.. but I really can't see any difference after 2mths if I'm honest..

So anyone recommend one that they have used but really noticed the difference? I'm so fed up with thinking well its expensive but if it works thats fine only to find I really can't see a difference from my usual cheap creams and potions..

Help me please or I shall come to the conclusion that its all a con trick to make us spend more when any old cream will have similar results..

Elegran Mon 30-Mar-15 11:51:12

Let's face it, Tanith, it probably is a con to make us spend more money.

I have read that the action of these eye-lift and anti-wrinkle things is a temporary one - they have an astringent effect on the skin and pull it up tight for a while. Then there are the potions containing fruit acids that remove the dead cells faster (plus the not-yet-quite-dead ones?) to make the skin look brighter, which it does because all the newly-formed cells are exposed faster, to be dried out faster . . . Anything that attracts moisture from the air and holds it in the skin cells helps the skin texture - not necessarily the expensive ones with exotic ingredients and celebrity endorsements.

loopylou Mon 30-Mar-15 11:57:57

I gave up eye creams etc, nothing delivered what the ads say....perhaps you need to start using them very young?!

tanith Mon 30-Mar-15 13:02:05

So my suspicions are true, its all a con but we still all buy into it don't we? In hope I guess.. grin

J52 Mon 30-Mar-15 13:33:32

I use the tinted Garnier roll on one as a base for eye shadow. I don't think it makes any difference to the wrinkles, but it does even out the skin tone and dark circles! x

twoforjoy Mon 30-Mar-15 13:38:09

tanith I use one from the superdrug natural radiance range and I think I'm starting to see a difference. the whole range has helped brighten up my skin quite dramatically, can't recommend it enough and it's v cheap!

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 13:45:43

I think it depends what we want from an eye cream/gel as well. My problem is hereditary eye bags which only surgery would really remove (no way! shock) so I go for an eye gel which claims to diminish the appearance of bags rather than just wrinkles. I find too rich a cream just makes them look worse.

Nonnie Mon 30-Mar-15 13:50:37

Eye creams work on my bags very well but have no effect on my wrinkles.

tanith Mon 30-Mar-15 14:30:30

Ana which one do you use? Under my eyes are fine no bags or shadows but my eyelid is a bit baggy/droopy and almost sit on my eyelashes I want to try and tighten it I suppose but no luck so far and I've tried many..nothing makes any difference.

Teetime Mon 30-Mar-15 15:23:38

I have almost given up on Eye Creams and use Vaseline twice a day to stop my eyes getting dry and itchy (probably my fault I do wear mascara daily) EXCEPT for Clarins Eye Flash Balm which is lovely and soothing - pricey but not meant to be worn all the time only as a rescue remedy.

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 15:31:49

tanith, I did use Boots No.7 Lift and Luminate eye cream for a long time and it seemed to make a difference but recently I couldn't get hold of it so went back to Clarins All about Eyes which is good as well.

Quite expensive but you only need a little bit!

annodomini Mon 30-Mar-15 16:34:52

My eyes are puffy at the moment because of the pollens floating around. Liz Earle's Eyebright soothing lotion, on a cotton wool pad, placed over the eye for a few minutes, does seem to relieve the puffiness and a little goes a long way.

tanith Mon 30-Mar-15 16:38:31

I've just been researching older eyes and its seems I have 'hooded eyes', which are difficult to deal with ... hey ho I guess eye gel/cream isn't going to work whatever I do, they can be disguised with eye shadow but I really only use a bit of shadow at the lashes otherwise it just disappears under the hooded bit...grin

Tegan Mon 30-Mar-15 16:57:37

I've always had dark shadows under my eyes but now I have dark shadows and a bit of bagginess as well. Not sure if the bagginess is because of the cream or that it might be an idea to have another thyroid test. I do have them sometimes in the hope that it's the reason for my thinning hair but they always come back negative.

numberplease Mon 30-Mar-15 22:31:49

In a book I read a while back, it was mentioned that many actresses use KY jelly to stop bags under the eyes, but I`m a little reluctant to try that one!

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 22:39:15

I've heard that hemorrhoid (sp) cream works on undereye bags, but on the one occasion I actually did try it (many years ago) the overpowering smell of it put me right off!

janeainsworth Mon 30-Mar-15 23:34:40

tanith I do the eyelid exercise recommended by Eva Fraser.

www.evafraser.com/facial_fitness.html Look on the facial fitness section.

I do know two people who had surgery for hooded eyes on the NHS and they were pleased with the result.

Ana Tue 31-Mar-15 10:58:22

Just to correct my post about the eye cream I use - it's Clinique's All About Eyes, not Clarins!

HildaW Tue 31-Mar-15 11:57:36

I've been using Neals Yard White tea eye gel. And its certainly improved my under eye droopiness and dark shadows.
Cannot remember how long it took to work but all I can say I was getting used to looking in the mirror and seeing saggy skin under my eyes and then a month or so later there was a definite improvement. Been using it a year or so now and honestly feel it keeps the suitcases at bay.

Tegan Tue 31-Mar-15 12:07:37

That's an interesting one cause I put a tea bag on my eyes if they're feeling sore and/or puffy.

janerowena Tue 31-Mar-15 14:43:59

Nanoblur is good if you want to just fill in lines temporarily, all over your face and under your eyes. It's very good. I find I reach for it if I want to make a good first impression.

indeedlabs.com/nanoblur/

thelmashelton Thu 04-Feb-16 10:06:37

Under eye area are really sensitive one trying different products could be harmful.With my experience i would suggest to go natural,Massage essential oils around eyes that will be safe and surely help for wrinkles and fine lines.

Teetime Thu 04-Feb-16 12:54:31

Since my last posting on this subject in March last year I have recently found Clinique All About Eyes gel and it really works no more crepey dryness.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 09-Feb-16 23:06:09

I gave up using eye creams after years of trying different ones and seeing no difference at all. I've got the usual crows feet and a bit of sagginess on my eyelids. Now I just use my normal moisturiser round my eyes. I am tempted to try Cliniques All about Eyes though after reading that some of you recommend it.

StormFiber Mon 11-Mar-19 16:17:36

I use one from the superdrug natural radiance range and I think I'm starting to see a difference. the whole range has helped brighten up my quite dramatically, can't recommend it enough and it's v cheap!
time4buying.com/best-korean-eye-creams/