Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Would you wear a bikini

(54 Posts)
jeanie99 Fri 29-May-15 13:11:21

Swimwear for the over 50s that's the title on this website and there are some really nice one piece swimwear and a couple of bikinis.

I've not warn bikinis since I was in my 50s, always wear a one piece now.

At 70 I wouldn't wear a bikini and I would feel uncomfortable showing off my middle regions.

What do other members think.

Tegan Fri 29-May-15 13:15:00

I wear a bikini in the sauna; my middle bits are my best bit [good waist and my skins pretty good]. It's the bits on either side that are a problem..fat legs; varicose/thread veins; mutant feet; bingo wings; saggy chin and disappearing hair sad.

aggie Fri 29-May-15 13:19:23

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

jeanie99 Fri 29-May-15 13:30:22

LOL

Ana Fri 29-May-15 13:33:30

I've never worn a bikini in my life, and am not about to start now!

Even when I was younger and had a good figure I preferred a one-piece.

J52 Fri 29-May-15 13:36:57

Like many of us, I have seen some sights around the pool, in bikinis! I could probably wear one, but I would no longer feel comfortable in one.
There are so many attractive one pieces and I don't want a tanned middle! x

shabby Fri 29-May-15 14:30:29

I would wear one, if I felt like it, if I was holidaying at a private house/villa but would wear a one piece at a hotel or the like.

bikergran Fri 29-May-15 14:33:11

well I don't think I could look any worse than the men in "Mankinis" confused

janerowena Fri 29-May-15 14:49:04

I don't car any more, but I'm more worried about burning as I have a very fair skin, so I wear tankinis.

FlicketyB Fri 29-May-15 14:54:35

I'm with Anna, I have always worn one pieces, bikinis are too much trouble, always worrying whether they are slipping, and absolutely useless for swimming in.

soontobe Fri 29-May-15 15:05:49

I gave up wearing bikinis in public several years ago.
I dont go in for cosmetics much, but one thing I would go back and change is stretch marks.
Nowadays everyone rubs oil on apparently. Which oil I do not know, but I could certainly have done with some. well quite a lot!

annodomini Fri 29-May-15 15:46:46

Bikini? 40/50 years ago, yes, when I had a waistline and no spare tyre oozing over the pants! Definitely not a pretty picture.

loopylou Fri 29-May-15 15:54:57

Too many memories of years ago I hasten to add, of sunburnt tummy.
Not sure if I wouldn't come under public indecency now grin

numberplease Fri 29-May-15 17:32:51

NO! The world does not deserve to be exposed to me in a bikini!

glammanana Fri 29-May-15 18:24:06

Not would I wear a bikini but could I wear a bikini and the answer is a firm no even though I don't have to much overflowing at the minute my tummy resembles a patch work quilt of sorts,not for the faint hearted.

baubles Fri 29-May-15 18:32:44

Well I would, and in fact do, wear a bikini but only on furrin shores! One pieces are too hot and I do love the sun. sunshine

I care not a jot what others on the beach may think and as my mother was fond of saying to me 'sure, who'd be looking at you?'

Charleygirl Fri 29-May-15 18:32:55

I did in my youth butI would not dream of it these days. I see some sights in shorts and tops walking around supermarkets- I dread to think what they would look like on a beach.

I do not think that I would wear a swim suit now. My swimming days are long gone.

tanith Fri 29-May-15 18:38:59

I wouldn't wear a bikini but I do have swimsuits suitable for pool swimming and others that I wear on the beach.. they are all once piece I found some nice ones in BHS last Summer.

Would anyone pay over £100 for a swimsuit? I guess they would but thats way out of my budget range I'm afraid.

suzied Fri 29-May-15 18:42:46

A tankini is a nice alternative. I often wear one as underwear when on holiday. Saves a bit of packing and easy to rinse out.

rosesarered Fri 29-May-15 18:51:45

You must be joking!

rosesarered Fri 29-May-15 18:52:06

That was to the OP

Iam64 Fri 29-May-15 20:55:10

I wear a bikini or a tankini so I can change my pants after swimming. I'm beyond sitting around with wet nether regions and don't care about what I look like.

absent Fri 29-May-15 20:58:26

After rather a lot of abdominal surgery my body is really not suitable for public display. All I need is a bolt through my neck and I'd look like a film star. grin

Deedaa Fri 29-May-15 21:07:22

Absolutely not grin I think I last wore one in 1968 when I had the figure for it. I think a one piece is more flattering for most women anyway.

loopylou Fri 29-May-15 21:36:35

I do wear a tankini though because I can then wear just the top half with shorts in the garden. I'm quite long bodied and finding a swimsuit that is long enough is difficult.