Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I need a new razor

(27 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:24:14

Can anyone recommend a razor, I have used basic 'wet' razors in the past and found they go rusty if you leave them a few days, DD says they are disposable but it seems a waste of money to dispose of them after just one use. I had a battery razor but it never seemed to take of any hairs and I would have to use a wet one to go over the same place.

I want to start swimming again after 6 months off and my legs are needing to be done. I have seen a JML razor advertised and it sounds good, has anyone used it and does the 'eyebrow shaper' really do the eyebrows (I hate eyebrows with a passion).
Any ideas

petra Mon 29-Jun-15 20:29:36

Seriously! They are less than £6 for 20 razors.

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 20:31:31

They don't go rusty if you dry them with a sheet of paper towel or toilet paper after use.

etheltbags1 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:39:42

it still seems a waste to just use them once.

Ana I would cut my fingers to ribbons if If I tried to dry a razor blade with loo paper,could maybe use a towel but would that not cut the towel

shysal Mon 29-Jun-15 21:10:37

I use a Venus razor, with disposable heads. I use the same one for weeks on end, to do pits daily and legs every other day. It comes with a hard plastic case for the cartridges, on top of which the razor sits, never going rusty. I buy the packs of heads on Ebay, much cheaper than the supermarkets.
I have tried electric shavers, but it takes longer to do and doesn't get so close. I also tried an epilator but couldn't stand the pain!
I hope you enjoy the swimming, take it gently!

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 21:19:09

ethel, how big is the razor blade you're using? shock

Those little disposable razors have a tiny blade - your fingers wouldn't need to go anywhere near the edge to give it a quick wipe with a bit of loo roll...no need to be so dramatic!

Elegran Mon 29-Jun-15 22:23:11

Dry using the razor dry (with talcum if it doesn't "glide")

Elegran Mon 29-Jun-15 22:46:21

That should have started "Try . . ."

Katek Mon 29-Jun-15 23:16:37

Or grit your teeth and wax!

yogagran Tue 30-Jun-15 14:01:18

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?path=%2Fen%2FPhilips-Satinelle-HP6422-00-Epilator_1000110%2F&unCountry=uk

I use one of these, you very soon get used to the pain! After using mine for years I've found that hair growth has reduced so much that I hardly need to use it any more

rosesarered Tue 30-Jun-15 14:07:42

The Venus range ( non disposable) are really good. Well, I say non disposable, because one blade lasts for ages. yes, they are pricey but do the job really well, and don't go rusty, although I do dry it afterwards.

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Jun-15 14:58:24

Etheltbags i have been cleaning disposable razors like this for years and i have not sliced my fingers. You just need to be as careful as if you were chopping up veg. Don't keep them in a steamy bathroom after using and cleaning.

annodomini Tue 30-Jun-15 15:14:06

If you are worried about your fingers, you could dry your razor with a hair dryer. I use mine to dry my feet. grin

rosesarered Tue 30-Jun-15 20:27:18

Then you must have very stylish feet anno! grin

contrarymary Fri 03-Jul-15 15:56:45

What does anyone do about facial hair? I don't mean just fuzz but actual hairs.

Envious Fri 03-Jul-15 16:16:52

Umm pluck them with tweezers?

Auntieflo Sun 05-Jul-15 16:28:56

Just come back. From a family holiday. Used a trusty BIC disposable razor in the jacuzzi bath. Hope it didn't clog the pipes. It works just fine. I did buy an Epilator a few years ago, but when I read the blurb, it said, " do not use if you have varicose veins", so I returned it, and went back to a razor. My daughter and granddaughter both have epilators and seem to get on fine with them. I don't have to bother with under arm hair, that seemed to stop growing many years ago. One good thing about ageing gracefully.hmmmmm!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 05-Jul-15 16:43:30

My DD had an unfortunate occurrence the other day with her epilator. Doing her bikini line. It took in some skin. Was just hanging there. Not nice. shock

etheltbags1 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:38:25

can no one recommend a battery one, I need to go for a swim soon.

Lona Mon 06-Jul-15 21:43:48

ethel I bought a Remington Wet and Dry battery razor not long ago, for my legs and I'm very happy with it, if that helps. I got it from Boots, but you can probably get it online cheaper.

etheltbags1 Tue 07-Jul-15 08:36:36

lona can you do your 'bits' with it.

Lona Tue 07-Jul-15 11:25:33

I don't see why not ethel, but I'm sticking to my legs IYSWIM! grin

etheltbags1 Thu 09-Jul-15 21:58:10

to pot with the expense I got 6 disposable razors for 25p in wilko today and will not bother with the battery ones. Hope they do my bits.
I once used wax and didn't remove it completely and went to bed, the next day I found my 'bits' were stuck to my legs, it was agony.

Ana Thu 09-Jul-15 22:13:01

Hardly worth starting a thread about it if you're quite happy to pay 25p for a six-pack, ethel.

etheltbags1 Thu 09-Jul-15 22:15:24

It was after reading the thread that I decided I couldn't be bothered to look anymore for a battery one but Im putting it on my birthday list in a few weeks.