Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cool Summer clothes

(46 Posts)
NanKate Fri 03-Jul-15 12:51:01

Where can I buy loose fitting summer trousers? I saw someone my age in a very nice pair which I think were elasticated round the ankle and what I would describe as Circus Trousers (my description). I wish I had stopped and asked her.

Any ideas ?

glassortwo Fri 03-Jul-15 13:00:04

NanKate do you mean this sort of thing?

www.next.co.uk/g0d8200s1#882293x56

glassortwo Fri 03-Jul-15 13:02:51

Or these
www.wallis.co.uk/en/wluk/category/clothing-265973/trousers-265996/printed-trousers-2832956?noOfRefinements=1

kassi Fri 03-Jul-15 13:05:19

They are called 'Harem Trousers'. Also good are 'Palazzo Trousers'. I have just bought 4 pairs from Ebay for an upcoming cruise. They are so cool and loose. I usually wear jeans, but they are so sticky in this weather. I always thought I couldn't wear these as I am very pear shaped, but saw a friend who is a similar shape wearing them and thought 'why not, who's going to look at me?' I love them!

merlotgran Fri 03-Jul-15 13:08:38

Sainsbury's have some nice black and white ones, NanKate. They're very comfortable and any plain, loose fitting top will go with them.

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Jul-15 13:24:23

Tempted. I look a b****r in white linen trousers, so usually go for skirts in Summer, but these could be a good option.

NanKate Fri 03-Jul-15 16:09:29

Thanks so much ALL for your input. Yes these are exactly the trousers I want. It was very helpful seeing the photos glassortwo. I now know the proper name for them Kassi thanks.

We have a grand new state of the art Next opened about 4 miles from us so I shall make my first visit tomorrow. smile

flowers

Anya Fri 03-Jul-15 16:36:49

Well that's a result for NanKate now can anyone tell me where I can find a nice loose floaty shirt. Long sleeves, hip length, not fitted or see through and preferably in a plain colour as I can't stand all these loud flowery things around at the moment.

I too saw someone 'our' age wearing one and thought 'that's just what I need in this weather'

hopeful expression

TriciaF Fri 03-Jul-15 16:57:27

Summer trousers - they're easy to make, I've got a few pairs:
sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/12867

suzied Fri 03-Jul-15 17:15:36

www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/136525

These rayon trousers from Uniqlo are really comfortable. They have them in other colours and designs.

Lys60 Fri 03-Jul-15 20:56:43

Was in George today and saw some lovely coloured trousers. Tempted by a £6 black and white pair that would team beautifully with a black or white top. Didn't purchase but may do so-fun summer fashion to dress up or down at a bargain price.

NanKate Fri 03-Jul-15 22:32:18

Anya you might find a floaty shirt at East.

M and Co have lots of shirts but they are as you say floral this year.

Do you have a market near you because they may have an Asian stall. I bought a gorgeous cotton floaty long length cotton jacket/shirt last summer.

There is also an online company called Patra that have lovely silk clothes at medium to reasonable prices.

Best of luck.

Anya Sat 04-Jul-15 06:37:16

Thanks NanKate two good suggestions there. We have a little market today so I'll have a look and there's an East in Leamington so may pop in there.

I know Patra as I like to get their silk vests

smile

NanKate Sat 04-Jul-15 07:38:35

I have happy memories of Leamington Anya (I used to live in Stratford till I got married).

Can I ask you a few questions about the town? Do you still have The Regal Cinema, think that was the name, as my dad used to run a chain of cinemas including the Leamington one?

I used to, in my courting days, go to The Loft theatre, is that still there ?

Also you had some lovely gardens in the town. Happy Days.

Anya Sat 04-Jul-15 08:29:20

Yes, the Jepson Gardens. I don't know about the Regal Cinema or the Loft Theatre but I'll ask around.

I don't live in Leamingon, but in the next town up. We have two lovely parks ourselves - St Nicholas's and Priory. The Avon flows through the former and my oldest GS (aged 8) goes boating on it.

We visit Stratford often. I like to park about 1k out from the town and walk in along the banks of the Avon. Do you know that walk?

NanKate Sat 04-Jul-15 12:16:13

I know the walk well Anya as my father used to takes us on it every Sunday after lunch. I think it was a way to give my Mum a bit of a break from us kids. smile.

How lovely to see your GS enjoying the pleasures of the river. We swapped the Avon for the Thames and no doubt when our 2 GSs are older they will want to go on it when they visit.

I visit Stratford annually to meet some friends I went to college with in the 1960s. I use the Park and Ride which is brilliant and FREE.

You live in a lovely part of the world.

NanKate Sat 04-Jul-15 12:17:44

glassortwo I am now the proud possessor of two pairs of fab harem trousers from Next. A result. flowers

Lys60 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:07:51

Must check out Next for patterned trousers too. Mono floral tapered look good.

rosesarered Sat 04-Jul-15 20:47:25

Funnily enough Anya, I went to Witney a few days ago to East, there is usually a sale on for nice floaty things, got there and......it had closed down! shock, horror.Have to look online now, but I prefer to try things.

NanKate Sun 05-Jul-15 07:23:08

Roses I was shopping recently in a busy town locally in Thames Valley and went to our local East only to find it had closed down too and there was no notice in the window of the nearest East. I wonder if the company has gone under, I do hope not. sad

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 07:39:28

We'll never got to go shopping yesterday as GD2 has come down with 'chicken spots' and I had to look after her unexpectedly.

ginny Sun 05-Jul-15 07:46:46

Anya I don't know what size you are but it might be worth looking at Evans on line. I think they start at a 14 but often have longer length tops.

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 07:50:16

I'm a 12-14 depending on the fit (don't like tight clothes) so I never thought of Evans. I guess they are generous sizes so will have a look Ginny

NanKate Sun 05-Jul-15 10:12:17

Sorry to hear about GD2 Anya having chicken pox. I remember when our DS got it both DH and myself caught it too. He recovered quickly we felt awful for a week or two. DS banned us from taking or collecting him from school as we looked so awful.

On a school visit a couple of months later his teacher showed us a picture he had drawn of DH and myself lying in bed covered in spots. smile

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 10:28:51

smile Grandchildren love to draw you at your worst don't they?

The upshot is that today GS3 is having his birthday party on a Pirate boat on the Avon in Stratford as as poor little cousin has chicken pox she can't go. She was so looking forward to it too. Now there's a spare place Nana here has been drafted in to help on board.

If there's one thing I'm not fond of it's boats, especially smallish boats laden with over-excited 4-5 year olds shock

My DD seemed to think she was offering me a treat!

wanders off to seek out a pirate outfit