Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Help please.

(58 Posts)
Anya Sat 04-Jul-15 22:04:49

Can anyone 'out there' tell me how to wear a summer scarf please?

A few months ago my DD bought me a lovely floaty cotton scarf-thing about 6' long and 3' wide. It is in a delicate shade of turquiose subtly patterned with butterflies.

I tried it this way and that, folded, draped and every which way including up, but it never looked right so I hung it decoratively over the handlebars of my exercise bike. I know she's offended I've never worn it.

Today my DDiL appeared with a present for me - a floaty, cotton scarf about 6'x3' in a beautiful shade of blue, lightly patterned with butterflies.

Now I have two lovely scarves I don't know how to wear and probsbly two offended people when they don't see me wearing them sad

Please advise.

Jane10 Sat 04-Jul-15 22:10:19

I can't help you I'm afraid as I'm in exactly the same boat! I see ladies everywhere looking lovely with scarves artfully draped but I just look daft when I do it. Maybe it's a matter of confidence? Maybe it looks OK really and its just me (and you?) who don't feel we've done it right. Sigh

Ana Sat 04-Jul-15 22:10:20

I can't, I'm afraid.

I have several of them hanging on the coat rack in the hall and none of them look right on me whatever I try to do with them! sad

merlotgran Sat 04-Jul-15 22:12:03

Sorry, Anya I can't stand wearing scarves in the summer, floaty or otherwise.

Anya Sat 04-Jul-15 22:14:08

I don't know whether to laugh at your replies or cry in frustration!

annsixty Sat 04-Jul-15 22:31:48

I have a drawer full and at 5 ft and a considerable number of stones I look stupid in a scarf however I tie it. It hangs off the bust in an outstanding way and exaggerates it,not what is needed. They are all gifts!!

Maggiemaybe Sat 04-Jul-15 22:34:40

Oh, me too. I have loads of floaty scarves, all very pretty and all very thoughtful gifts. I sometimes think I'm being given a big hint about hiding my crepey neck... But whatever I do, they look wrong on me. I've never quite managed to get out of the door without giving up and ripping the thing off again.

Juliette Sat 04-Jul-15 23:00:36

Lots of scarf folding ideas on You tube Anya there might be something that will help.

Coolgran65 Sat 04-Jul-15 23:59:01

I wear a lightweight but biggish scarf in place of a light cardigan. I open it well out and place it across my shoulders 1/3 and 2/3. I.e. one side longer than the other hanging down the front. It reaches practically to waist level at the back. Then get hold of the long side and take it across the front and over the opposite shoulder.

I do this summer and winter. Do love my scarves.

kittylester Sun 05-Jul-15 06:49:11

I was going to suggest UTube, too. Or one of my friends who manages very elegantly and give me tutorials! I, on the other hand feel, and probably look like a sack of potatoes!! confused

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 07:23:13

Well firstly thank you all. I'm feeling reassured I'm not some fashion disaster area, though I tend to live in jeans and tops these days as a reaction to having to wear a suit much of my working life.

Still I love the idea of dressing up my look with a lovely scarf, but as most of you have said, it just somehow 'doesn't look right'.

I'll have a look on UTube and perhaps play around with 'the look' even if I have to settle for coolgran's idea of wearing it as a sort of wrap.

grrrranny Sun 05-Jul-15 08:13:43

I find there is just too much scarf as I am only 5ft tall. It tends to look like I am wearing a curtain and I too end up ripping it off before going out. I've tried tying knots in them before draping around neck to try to get some of the material under control and that does help a bit but then it looks like a curtain with knots tied in. Not very helpful sorry but just empathising Anya

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 08:16:51

grrranny latest attempt looks like I'm wearing a hijab grin

grrrranny Sun 05-Jul-15 08:20:02

grin grin grin

Stansgran Sun 05-Jul-15 08:53:39

If the graceful and elegant Isadora couldn't hack scarf wearing then I don't feel the need. I stick to polo necks 48 weeks out of 52.

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 09:04:28

Yes, I believe her scarf killed her.

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Jul-15 09:16:02

I think I have heard of scarf tying classes.but no idea where.

Lona Sun 05-Jul-15 09:17:31

m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=750055181679289&id=100000244435501&_rdr

Try this smile

Nelliemoser Sun 05-Jul-15 09:31:18

It would be better if it were slowed down. And if the models were real shaped people not 6ft tall size 8 models.

Lona Sun 05-Jul-15 09:38:00

Sorry Nellie

grrrranny Sun 05-Jul-15 09:53:27

Looks good on video - some of them anyway but I think I need to order a longer neck as I get the 'trying to hide a neck brace' look. Liked the kimono thing though.

Pittcity Sun 05-Jul-15 10:01:20

Maybe knotted low down like a pendant necklace or fastened with a brooch.

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 10:18:04

hmm Now I see what the problem is ...I have a short neck (hiding the neck brace look grin ) and my bust is quite large in proportion to the rest of me so if I go for the low down knot it sort of juts out like an over-starched table cloth.

Not a good look.

Perhaps I should sew them together and wear them as a dress?

grrrranny Sun 05-Jul-15 10:28:35

I know what you mean about the 'over-starched tablecloth' look. There just seems to be so much scarf - scarf, scarf and more scarf. Would you dare chop some off them? Not that I get on much better with smaller ones but you can then tuck them in the neck of jumper or similar and just see a wee flash of them. Still need a longer neck though as they creep up. It's a no hoper really for us short necks.

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 10:34:13

I did wonder about chopping some off.

Event however have, temporarily, overtaken me and I suddenly need to come up with a pirate costume for myself this afternoon!!!