Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Health and beauty products

(46 Posts)
HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:56:39

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for beauty products on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 14:18:53

Baby Bottom Butter, Waitrose - overall rating 10/10

(From jeni)

(2012) After trying many much more expensive creams my daughter finally tried this one. She now swears by it and also loves it as a handcream for herself. (it seems to suit my gorgeous granddaughter as well)

The other advantage is that as she has not got a local waitrose, mother buys it for her!

(From Sook)

(2012) Can't speak for the babies' bottoms. I use it as a facial moisturiser. Apply it in the morning pat away excess with a tissue and unlike other moisturisers I have used I do not need to reapply it through the day.

It's easy on the pocket less than £4 a pot and in my opinion excellent value for money.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 14:27:17

100% Waterproof Mascara, Rimmel - overall rating 10/10

(From Coolgran65)

(2014) Always use Rimmel waterproof mascara, wouldn't use anything else - no Panda eyes.

(From Mads)

(2012) Being an 'out of work' older person, I have had to cut back and decided to try this product. I was pleasantly surprised - it goes on well and is easy to remove. At around £5 it is excellent value.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 14:32:52

All products, Liz Earle - overall rating 10/10

(From Pennysue)

(2011) Have suffered with eczema now have a form of psoriasis and Liz Earle products have been absolutely brilliant, my skin has been so much better. Cannot recommend highly enough

(From Hattie64)

(2011) I have now used a variety of the products, they are extremely good. Not too expensive either. The ingredients are mainly natural, which is excellent if you have a skin allergy, which I had. I always buy mail order, but some shops do stock the products.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:01:57

Rose Otto facial serum, Dr Organic - overall rating 10/10

(From helcrai)

(2012) Gorgeous scented product which does not irritate my sensitive skin.

(From wallers5)

(2012) A lovely rich restoring oil used under moisturiser in the morning & over night cream at night. Natural & organic ingredients, anti-ageing & light perfume of Damascus Rose.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:06:33

Vitamin E cuticle oil pen duo, nails inc - overall rating 10/10

(From ditakelly)

(2012) Nails In are a top brand and this pen is great to keep in your handbag, really softens the cuticles. Highly recommended.

(From snailspeak)

(2011) Yes, I know that it is expensive but it is absolute magic too for dry cuticles. Worth every penny - or should that be pound?

I keep a pen handy where I tend to read during the day and at the same time apply the oil which is rapidly absorbed. Just rub it in and push cuticles back if you have the time.

I belong to a gym and receive a £6 mini-manicure at the attached beauty salon. My manicurist could not believe the wonderful condition of my nails and the nail bed was deeper so my nails looked longer.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:08:16

Bath float, Sanctuary - overall rating 10/10

(From goose1964)

(2012) A real indulgence product, smells gorgeous but hard to describe (sort of a mix of orange & flowers). It says to add generously but I find you only need a small amount.

It does not dry my skin out like other bathing products. Not your everyday product as it is quite expensive but it is an ideal small gift.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:13:24

Beautiful Ends Intensive Mask, Herbal Essences - overall rating 10/10

(From overthehill)

(2013) Brilliant!!

This is the hair conditioner that beat all others in my book.

Comes in a red tub (Superdrug often have it on offer half price). You only need a small amount it immediately glides through your hair making it tangle free.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:23:17

Body Butter and Sparkle Skin, Clinique - overall rating 10/10

(From susiecb)

(2011) Exfoliating with Sparkle Skin twice a week at bathtime removes all the dull skin left over from the fading summer tan, prevents skin tags growing and completely removes dry elbow and knee patches. After the bath smooth on the Body Butter which sinks in beautifully leaving silky skin - certainly prevents my eczema from developing too. A little pricey but a tub of each lasts all winter.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:25:07

Brazil Nut Shower Cream, The Body Shop - overall rating 10/10

(From Maggiemaybe)

(2014) This shower cream smells divine and its lather is so rich. I have dry skin and find it helps a lot, as it's soap free as well as containing no unnecessary artificial nasties. The brazil nut body butter was gorgeous, but seems to have disappeared from my local stores - the almond version is a very acceptable alternative for nut lovers!

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:26:42

Double Wear foundation, Estée Lauder - overall rating 10/10

(From Nankate)

(2014) This is the first foundation I have found that really covers my skin well, and coupled with the Double Wear powder makes my skin look younger than it is. I have had compliments on my complexion!

It's pricey but lasts a long time. I usually buy Estée Lauder products when they give a nice bag of freebies with the purchase of two items.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:27:49

Good Things Manuka Honey Daily Moisturiser - overall rating 10/10

(From NannyGoat12345)

Lovely moisturiser, and it smells wonderful too, like honey (not surprisingly) - although when I put it on at night my husband moans 'urgh you've got that coconut stuff on again' - it smells nothing like coconut!

I love all the Good Things products I have tried so far, they suit my skin perfectly and there are no 'nasties' in them. The range is also cruelty free. What's not to like?

The range was created by Alice Hart-Davis, who presumably must be using her own products - at 51 years old she looks absolutely gorgeous and is a great ambassador for Good Things.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:29:00

Natural Repair Face Cream, Oilatum - overall rating 10/10

(From cloudfreeday)

(2012) Brilliant moisturiser for when my dreaded rosacea flares up and I daren't use usual products; does exactly what it says on the tube and comes in at less than a fiver. Handy for travelling too and is ok as a make up base

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:30:39

Oriflame, Eco Beauty Range of moisturising creams and eye cream - overall rating 10/10

(From D93walker)

(2012) I love this range. Just out this month. Devised with partnership of Vegan Society, Fairtrade, Ecocert and the Forest Stewardship Council. It is free from ANY animal derived substances, Parabens, Silicone, Mineral oils and Synthetic fragrances, and at least guaranteed minimum of 95% ingredients from natures traceable, renewable and sustainable sources.

I love the silky feel of these products and how they sink into the skin and do their work unobtrusively

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:32:11

Ponds Cold cream - overall rating 10/10

(From noonoo270)

(2011) This is not only good value for money but has a texture which is neither oily or too light. It makes the skin feel nourished. My skin is very dry and I only need to use this twice a day rather than keep reapplying as with other moisturisers. I have to say that having used this cream I won't be changing in a hurry and would recommend it to all.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:46:53

Restore and Renew Foundation, No7 - overall rating 10/10

(From Shibarg)

(2012) Lovely to use and sinks in without leaving skin feeling greasy.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:48:06

Revitalising Firming Mask, Boots No 7 - overall rating 10/10

(From Lizziehop2)

(2011) Just wonderful!! This is the one product that actually plumps out the wrinkles!!

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:49:54

Salt scrub, Espa - overall rating 10/10

(From stephgr)

(2011) Using this is like having a professional scrub treatment in a spa. It's the most effective product I have ever used.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:51:12

Skin Essentials Rich moisturiser, Skin Wisdom

(From glammanana)

(2012) I was having noticeable dry skin under the chin and neck area and my friend suggested that I try this cream, I bought it from Tesco beauty counter and was not sure what to expect as it was 89p a tub, (yes that's correct).

After 7/10 days what a difference it had made, it contains rosehip and camomile so is suitable for any skin type. It keeps your skin hydrated and fresh. It is as good as any other cream I have used costing many £s, excellent.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:54:19

SPM Pelvic Toner - overall rating 10/10

(From morethanagranforsure58)

(2014) This is a health rather than beauty product. I recently started to experience stress incontinence in my late 50s which is very distressing. I researched gadgets and evidence on the internet and decided to buy a Pelvic toner rather than one of the more expensive devices. Within a week my problem disappeared and I was amazed. I still use it regularly and the problem has not returned. I know this is a common problem and embarrassing to talk about so wanted to share my good experience. Please share with friends and daughters. costs around £30 or can be provided on prescription by GP. go to www.pelvictoner.co.uk and read the evidence for yourself.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:56:19

Superstay 24 Color Lipstick, Maybelline - overall rating 10/10

(From Rosiebee)

(2012) This is the only lipstick I've used that doesn't 'bleed' into lip lines. You put it on with a wand, let it dry, then use the other end to add a bit of a shine and some moisture. I've tried similar products and this is the best for me. The colours stay true throughout even after meal. I've got a few and find 196 Raspberry a flattering colour. If I want a lighter colour, I just blot it before letting it dry.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:57:50

Thickening hair range, Trevor Sorbie - overall rating 10/10

(From glammanana)

(2011) I bought these products as a birthday present to myself and found them to be very true to their word, nice shiny manageable hair from the shampoo and a light conditioner which sprays in where needed most, the mousse gives that final lift for thinning hair if necessary. The overall finish is very salon-like with a fresh fragrance being left on the hair, wonderful.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:59:11

Triple Resist Reinforcing shampoo, L'Oreal - overall rating 10/10

(From candystripes)

(2012) Left my hair looking stronger, smoother and healthier. I noticed the difference after first use and would highly recommend this with the matching conditioner for fragile hair with a tendency to fall out.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 16:00:48

Vitamin E moisture cream, Body Shop - overall rating 10/10

(From whatisamashedupphrase)

(2012) It goes on smoothly and makes your skin feel softer and more comfortable. Your moisturiser goes on more evenly too. It's not tested on animals and has no nasties in it.

HQ1 Tue 07-Jul-15 16:03:10

Aqueous cream, Boots & other brands - overall rating 9.5/10

(From maryjane)

(2012) I find this a good cream to add moisture good as a hand cream or to use anywhere.

(From habari)

(2011) Cleansing cream, all over moisturiser, you name it it works!