Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Skinny jeans

(53 Posts)
absent Fri 10-Jul-15 07:02:43

Absentdaughter and I both wear jeans a lot of the time. I have about 12 pairs of boot-cut jeans from Next that are not yet worn out. She wears a variety of different styles and, indeed different colours. (Mine are all "denim blue" even if they contain a small percentage of elastane.)

This afternoon I was doing absentdaughter's ironing. Don't tell me off – it's one of things I do to help her with her six children to make life a bit easier. I actually hate ironing. Anyway, I thought I might try on one of her pairs of skinny jeans and see what I look like.

We are both about 5 feet 9 inches tall, but she had a baby nearly three months ago so she is currently a size 12. I wear a size 8 but I think I am really a size 6; however, I am past that bit where you lie flat on the floor and pull up the zip with a bootlace threaded through the puller.

I thought her jeans looked quite nice on me – I have to say that my legs are my one good physical quality, still dancer's legs; everything else about me is pretty much rubbish. So I asked Mr absent what he thought. WRONG! He didn't even look before dismissing the idea with a bit of force, telling me that he has never liked skinny jeans and they just look like tights.

I think I shall stroll over to Richmond Mall tomorrow and buy a couple of pairs. How long before he notices?

loopylou Fri 10-Jul-15 07:11:33

Go for it absent!
I'm size 12-14 and I wear slim or skinny fit jeans and love them!

Enjoy your shopping trip smile!

absent Fri 10-Jul-15 07:27:37

Seriously tempted! I might ask absentdaughter to join me.

absent Fri 10-Jul-15 07:29:39

She will go for cinnamon, green, sky blue, scarlet – and I will trust her. grin

suzied Fri 10-Jul-15 07:33:27

I love Uniqlo super stretch jeans they are so comfortable and come in loads of colours. I wear mine with a loose shirt or relaxed fit sweater over and I think they look great. You sound like you are super tall and slim so make the most of your assets!

Lona Fri 10-Jul-15 07:44:43

Go for them absent , previously I've only worn them with boots in the winter, but I got some different coloured ones a few weeks ago and I love them!
One pair of navy skinnys have zips at the ankles so I feel quite tricky wink
If you've got long legs you can't go wrong.

absent Fri 10-Jul-15 07:49:19

I have hugely long legs. Sounds good!

glammanana Fri 10-Jul-15 08:39:43

Go for them absent not everyone is lucky enough to have good legs why waste one of your best assets.

annodomini Fri 10-Jul-15 09:16:41

Of course you must have them, absent. You're the best judge of what suits you and it sounds as if you have the perfect accomplice in your DD.

sprite66 Fri 10-Jul-15 09:26:09

I'd say go for them Absent.
Recently bought some slim fit ones from Crew sale (half price).I got the impression that himself wasn't too keen, tried to be tactful by saying he wondered if my thighs would be comfortable! I'm about 5.6" and a size 14 so don't think they look too awful, much prefer a slim fit to flappy round the ankles boot cut.

Teetime Fri 10-Jul-15 09:26:59

If I had such lovely slim legs I might be tempted too but unfortunately I have the short fat hairy kind. I've just bought two pairs of patterned floppy trousers that come in at the ankles a bit like harem pants. When I showed them to DH in Monsoon he said - pyjamas. I shall wear them in comfort in the house.

Alea Fri 10-Jul-15 09:36:43

envyenvyenvy
For skinny jeans you need skinny legs and that rules me out.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 09:43:02

A thread about skinny jeans on Gransnet?!!!! This is so wrong!

envy

Have you not thickened? hmm

Tegan Fri 10-Jul-15 10:15:02

Given that I live in leggings in the winter I thought I'd buy some jeggings but, when I tried them on the were all wrinkly on my short fat legs [Norah Batty look] even though they were meant to be tight. How can that be?? Problem with very tight jeans is that they don't suit people with big legs but they don't suit people with skinny legs either. And they can cause all sorts of medical problems; when tight jeans were first fashionable many years ago I ended up going to one of those hospital departments for people with vd as I was too embarrassed blushto see my GP; the nurse just laughed and said 'm'dear, stop wearing tight jeans, we're seeing young ladies like you all of the time because of it'.

ffinnochio Fri 10-Jul-15 10:22:51

I have medium length/sized legs, and the thighs and knees have now gone a bit floppy, so skinny jeans contain in a comfortable way if the right style and size is bought for one's shape. This will, however, require a certain amount of determination. smile Not for wearing day in and day out tho'. Bit of fresh air around the delicate areas is certainly to be considered occasionally!

janerowena Fri 10-Jul-15 12:42:38

They are lovely with a longish tunic top over them, no matter what your size. I think it slims down your silhouette, as long as they aren't all wrinkled up on your legs, then you would end up looking like the front end of a panto elephant. And if they do look like tights, even better, you can wear them with a short dress.

loopylou Fri 10-Jul-15 13:22:22

I'm a 32" inside leg and I wear them with a bum covering top/tee shirt/sweater and pumps, definitely comfortable and reasonably stylish IMO smile
Just bought a pair of cream ones from T...o's to wear with long cream/taupe/navy over shirt and my 'baggy days' tee shirts.....

arch4u Fri 10-Jul-15 14:05:57

OK if shape is OK, often wondered how you guys get them on.
Stiletto heels on decking a no-brainer, damage caused to wooden floors runs
into millions ... funny how editors fail to notice these things.

KatyK Fri 10-Jul-15 14:48:32

I would love to wear skinny jeans but I never know whether I look quite right in them or what shoes to wear with them. My DD had some skinnies on the other day, I haven't seen her in them before but she is in the process of losing weight and they suited her. I asked whether she thought I could wear some and she said 'mum you are taller and slimmer than me, they would look great'. Bless her. The trouble is shoes. I love to see skinny jeans with ballet pumps but I can't wear those because of my horrible bunions. DD's jeans were from Tesco and they looked great. She said they are stretchy and comfy. I might try a pair.

Tegan Fri 10-Jul-15 15:29:37

I never seem to have the right shoes to go with things either, especialy as I tend to live in either Crocs, trainers or Ugg boots.

rosesarered Fri 10-Jul-15 16:02:10

Some people end up looking Max Wall. you have to be careful, even for young ones.

rosesarered Fri 10-Jul-15 16:04:31

I think you are right Katy, my daughter wears ballet flats with hers but I have seen all sorts of clumpy shoes/ boots worn with them and they look comical.

grannyonce Fri 10-Jul-15 16:06:07

if you are tall and slim you can wear any sort of trousers/jeans
at 5 foot and a bit but a size 12 but with slim legs I look awful in bootleg/flared/straight jeans - especially those that sit on the hips (which is a whole new topic as I have to wear a belt since their idea of sitting on the hips means the jeans are sitting on my waist) and that is before I have to shorten the legs.
So I love skinny jeans and tops of all types (I am a 14 up top) and wear them mostly with ballerinas or flats - never heels as I look ridiculous. grin

grannyonce Fri 10-Jul-15 16:13:10

best makes by far I have found as comfortable and looking good
are Firetrap and bizarrely H&M
Mand S jeans are not at all comfortable
I do wear boots with my 'skinnies' but they are knee-high so I don't look like Max Wall.

KatyK Fri 10-Jul-15 16:15:44

I agree roses. I have a fear of looking like Max Wall grin