Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

50 shades

(110 Posts)
Alea Thu 27-Aug-15 18:52:44

Stage 2 of letting my hair go grey now completed. I have had all my "warm" lowlights cooled down to a cool ash, and very pale silver highlights blended in with the grey which was threatening to break through!
DH says it actually makes my face look "younger" (clever man) but I am now looking at my wardrobe and thinkng about which colours will suit me best. I fear any beige/camel/tan things will not do me any favours, but look forward to " rediscovering" monochrome winter clothes, bright crisp red, white and blue (no not the Union Jack) . Purple and deep pink will also be fine but I think pastels might be for the charity bag.
Oh and I need to look out my lippy!
Have you changed what you wear, especially near your face, at all as your hair colour has "matured" at all?

Alea Thu 27-Aug-15 18:53:31

Sorry about the "at all, at all," bit of a Mrs Doyle moment there!

soop Thu 27-Aug-15 19:51:47

Alea I have also "gone grey"...I like to wear soft teal green, dusty shades of lilac, warm red, taupe is looks elegant worn with almost any colour. Soft sage green is also very much to my liking. Sorry, have to dash. Should be washing up the dishes. hmm

moon

Alea Fri 28-Aug-15 08:57:02

Thank you soop from pics you have posted you have lovely colour sense, I shall pay close attention!
And hope that I can now stop cut back on funding my hairdresser's foreign holidays to quite the same extent!

rosesarered Fri 28-Aug-15 09:05:15

Your hair colour sounds lovely Alea, and rather than fighting nature, is going with it!smile I hate to see roots showing on anyone's hair, it always looks awful, so highlights or a few lowlights is a good idea.

kittylester Fri 28-Aug-15 09:15:38

Very brave thing to do Alea. I'm sure you will look elegant in anything (except beige, obviously).

Teetime Fri 28-Aug-15 09:18:11

Your hair sounds lovely and I wish I could do it too. I would have thought block colours of anything can be harsh and have always favoured the bluey end of the spectrum. I think that would look good with your colouring - never ever beige or brown!!!

Alea Fri 28-Aug-15 12:26:49

Looking a bit dishevelled and as if I am having a LLD!

Lona Fri 28-Aug-15 13:39:46

It looks great Alea sunshine

Alea Fri 28-Aug-15 14:04:42

Oh good, I seem to have reverted to an upright citizen at least as long as you don't click it.
Thank you kindly , Lona!

Stansgran Fri 28-Aug-15 14:58:03

I went grey a good few years ago as like Alea I found the hairdresser's P&O habit was being funded by me. Well part of the reason and also I started to wonder about all the chemicals being plastered over me and I felt I could cope with the gravitas that grey hair would bestow on megrin

cherryblossom Fri 28-Aug-15 15:11:42

You don't look grey to me Alea, I am also thinking of going down same route mostly due to joint pain and discomfort during colouring process But worried because I was very dark and roots look more like dull Greg. Would anyone recommend going ahead and haveing silver low lights?

cherryblossom Fri 28-Aug-15 15:17:39

Don't blame Greg, predictive typing! grey and having

Coolgran65 Fri 28-Aug-15 15:43:16

Alea looks great

chelseababy Fri 28-Aug-15 15:43:40

I had dark hair which I used to have dyed blonde with highlights. Last October I had it coloured for last time, then used semi perm, had it cut quite short then used a colour stripper. Now its a not bad grey imo. I find the colour quiet flattering and the bank balance much improved.

loopylou Fri 28-Aug-15 16:08:53

Looks lovely Alea!
I'm silver and love it, but need to be conscious of what colours I wear near to my face. Camel/tan are fine so long as I wear a scarf or colourful necklace, and of course you can still wear them on your lower half.

Lona Fri 28-Aug-15 16:13:57

I let mine do it's own thing colour wise and I love it!

purplehairstreak Fri 28-Aug-15 16:14:35

Several years ago my then-hairdresser very honestly said I didn't need high/low/inbetween lights as my hair was greying attractively and was doing its own silvery streaks quite nicely. So I stopped and have never looked back. Honest hairdresser having left to be a mum, the one I have now gives the most fabulous cut which complements all the grey streaks and makes me feel confident in wearing my silvery grey hair.

I had my colours done many years ago and was classed as a "true misty summer" (think Monet), and was told that the "true summer" type can go grey most successfully, so most of colours have stayed as they were pre-grey. Now though I find I can carry black more successfully, provided it's well away from my face (gap can be filled with scarf from summer colour range). Having said that, I don't follow the colour palette rigidly, but it's always a useful guide and if I walk into a clothes shop and have a quick survey of the shades on show, I know whether to stay or go. Saves a lot of time!

Lona Fri 28-Aug-15 16:14:36

Wow! That's a whopper! grin

purplehairstreak Fri 28-Aug-15 16:15:51

By the way, I DON'T have any purple streaks in my hair!! Just realised after posting that my user name & previous comments contradict!!

purplehairstreak Fri 28-Aug-15 16:16:39

Lona you look fab!

annsixty Fri 28-Aug-15 16:21:16

Lona you having fibbing all this time about being a Gran. You can't be!!!

Alea Fri 28-Aug-15 17:22:33

cherryblossom I think it's to do with the light. I hesitate to have another go because Lona has given me a total inferiority complex!

Lona Fri 28-Aug-15 17:30:22

Oh stop it! grin

reenee Sat 29-Aug-15 07:36:10

I have been going grey for along time now, about ten years since I read an article about possible links to breast cancer and hair dyes so bit the bullet and stopped using it.After the colour grew out I had many compliments about my hair and feel that it is more natural looking on a mature person. Each to their own of course, but I do think that the black/brown etc on an older lady looks bizarre, far from making a person look younger I feel that it draws attention to ones age.