Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Longer-length t-shirts

(44 Posts)
Mamie Wed 07-Oct-15 09:20:31

Am heading over to the UK next week and need to buy some short-sleeved, longer-length t-shirts to wear over leggings. This is my in-house winter uniform so I don't want to spend much as they will undoubtedly get splashed with cleaning and cooking. Size 10-12 and nice colours, not M and S fluo orange or lime-green. I may be able to get to Bluewater to have a decent range of shops.
Thanks in advance for any ideas of where to look. grin

Luckygirl Wed 07-Oct-15 09:38:07

A T-shirt in winter!! Even indoors I usually have layer after layer on here to try and keep warm! How much heating do you have on?!

Indinana Wed 07-Oct-15 09:39:05

Exacrtly what I was thinking, Lucky!

loopylou Wed 07-Oct-15 09:45:59

Primark teeshirts are longer (as are Sainsburys) but need to check quality as it varies. There's a good range of colours too.

Mamie Wed 07-Oct-15 10:14:33

Central heating on for half an hour in the morning. Then the log burner takes over and heats the whole house. When it is on all day I have to open the window in our bedroom above or it will be 27° by bedtime!
Thanks loopylou, I don't think there is a Primark nearby though.

Mamie Wed 07-Oct-15 10:24:06

This is hilarious. Primark won't let me search for the nearest store to Tunbridge Wells (access denied) because of my French IP address. It will only tell me where to find the store in Paris.
Watch out Dior and Chanel - Primark is in town. grin

ninathenana Wed 07-Oct-15 10:27:01

Maidstone has a large Primark

kittylester Wed 07-Oct-15 10:45:39

I like M&S t shirts but the price has gone up incredibly - which I wouldn't mind if they had decent colours! Last time I looked they had no black, white, navy or beige! angry I also want a purply grey one. I've found one in Kettlewell which was £30. shock

Mamie Wed 07-Oct-15 10:49:22

Are they long enough to cover the bum in leggings, Kitty? The BHS ones are just about, but I could do with a bit of extra length. I don't know who chooses the colours in M and S. "Could we find something just a bit more unflattering? I am sure it would sell". grin
Thanks Nina, Maidstone might be possible.

TriciaF Wed 07-Oct-15 11:50:33

Maybe search for tunics instead of T-shirts?

Mamie Wed 07-Oct-15 12:13:18

I have some tunics but they tend to be long-sleeved and quite often thicker fabrics. I wear them out but they are a bit too hot for inside (sorry to those with cold houses!).

shysal Wed 07-Oct-15 12:55:06

Matalan have plenty of longer T shirts, some with dipped hems. I have one of these Dipped hem T shirt which washes well with no need to iron.

annodomini Wed 07-Oct-15 13:43:24

It probably isn't the best time of year to try to find teeshirts, but you might have a look at the Cotton Traders web site. I've had several tunic style tops from there in teeshirt fabric.

Teetime Wed 07-Oct-15 13:54:25

White Stuff T shirts are longer and Gap but they are a bit more expensive. I am wearing a jade green WS one at the moment and it covers my 'rotund' bum.

Mamie Wed 07-Oct-15 14:23:16

I love White Stuff, but they are a bit too nice to get splashed with curry spices! I think the essential problem is that I can't get the cheap and cheerful ones in Tunbridge Wells and I don't have a car when I am visiting.....
Might have to make a special trip to Paris for Primark. grin

granjura Wed 07-Oct-15 16:59:39

Kitty, do you remember the good old days when we could go to the Corah shop and buy all the M&S seconds (that had nothing wrong with them!)...

Lona Wed 07-Oct-15 17:03:32

I saw some longer styles in Sainsburys today, but I can't remember if they were short sleeved or not, sorry.

janerowena Wed 07-Oct-15 17:05:33

Be careful with the Sainbury's ones if you use a tumble dryer. They shrink.

I look for tunics now. I found a wonderful cheap shop, but they closed two years ago. I am bereft. The teens all used to wear very long t-shirts over their leggings, but I have noticed that tops are getting shorter again, so am considering adding fabric bands to the bottoms of my short t-shirts!

Mamie Wed 07-Oct-15 17:09:26

Brilliant idea JR. I could chop up some old t-shirts or even knit some fringes. grin

janerowena Thu 08-Oct-15 13:54:59

grin Very fashionable!

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 08-Oct-15 14:08:06

Layering is very much back in fashion with thinner fabrics, so you could look at some of the shorter dresses in thin fabrics that are in the shops and wear a short sleeve t-shirt on top. The dress is like a vest or cami. Looks good with most bottoms like leggings/jeggings, jeans, and trousers (shape matters with trousers - trial and error). Go for one colour all over for a less showy look. Be brave!

Google Lagenlook for some ideas and then tone them down a bit!

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Oct-15 19:32:27

I also look for tunics rather than tee shirts. EBay is excellent for this. Also Amazon.

Sapphyr Fri 09-Oct-15 09:40:12

As others have said... 'layer', 'layer', 'layer' and add, and remove, as you need.
I have MS and my optimum operating temperature is 22-24C, 'temperate' - without the ability to layer, I'd be b******d and motionless on the floor!

Sapphyr Fri 09-Oct-15 09:46:26

As for suppliers, 'Long Tall Sally' have a range of longer tunics/tops - www.longtallsally.com/c/tall/tops/tunics.
Sadly, they're mostly in dull, dull, dull as befits the Autumn trend sad
eBay may well have some of the summer stock?
I'm 1.80m and my husband doesn't like me to show too much when wearing 'normal' length t-shirts!

SueDoku Fri 09-Oct-15 10:17:34

Two words. Cotton Traders. Longer length, good quality, wash endlessly without going all shapeless, not expensive (especially if you can get to a CT outlet) good range of colours. Can you tell that I live in them? smile