Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Swimsuits

(39 Posts)
Teetime Fri 08-Apr-16 15:48:38

Can anyone recommend a nice swimsuit please for a holiday in 6 weeks time. I will only be puggling about in the hotel pool and possibly if its warm enough a bit of sunbathing (yes I know). Something elegant and structured I'm a size 14 and rounded generally. Thank you

Regalo Fri 08-Apr-16 17:51:26

www.simplyswim.com

Simply swim have some lovely swimsuits and a huge range. They offer free returns.
The zoggs ones are very comfortable and good quality.

Marmight Fri 08-Apr-16 18:19:54

I buy all mine, about 3 at a time, from Asda, use them for a year, or until they look past it and then chuck away. £12. Cheap as chips and a good fit too. I take a size below my normal dress size and take out the stuffing/chicken fillets from the boob bit which I can't stand. Worth a try.

Luckygirl Fri 08-Apr-16 18:30:49

I have one of these www.amazon.co.uk/TRIUMPH-DOREEN-O-SWIMMING-COSTUME/dp/B00FYXIQBI It is very comfortable indeed.

pompa Fri 08-Apr-16 18:35:27

Thought you ladies would be able to knit one !
Some while ago one of you offered to knit me a mankini, so a bikini should be a doddle.

annsixty Fri 08-Apr-16 18:56:12

When I was a child my mum and her friend took me and friend's son to Skegness in a caravan. This would have been either during the war or just after. M's friend knitted us both bathing costumes, they were awful, even Hayden's had the built up shoulders. The first time we came out of the freezing sea the costumes were down round our knees they had stretched and dropped so much. Everyone around apparently laughed to our shame. Thank you for the memory,very precious all three have died now.

pompa Fri 08-Apr-16 19:19:18

I can remember having a knitted cossie, one with shoulder straps. Not a good look when dry, let alone when wet.

Coolgran65 Fri 08-Apr-16 22:25:39

Luckygirl are the Triumph Doreen swimsuits true to size, and is it underwired.
I never knew that Triumph Doreen did a swimsuit. smile

Teetime Sat 09-Apr-16 10:10:54

Thank you all I see JL have Zoggs so I might go for one of those.

oliviablond Mon 25-Apr-16 15:48:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Elegran Mon 25-Apr-16 16:38:38

Bully for you, oliviablond but I have a feeling that your post will be deleted as spam.

I also have a feeling that your youth is not as far behind you as most of ours.

jellybeanjean Sat 30-Apr-16 11:00:34

Moving on fomr this slightly, can anyone recommend a good firm tummy control swimsuit? I can cope with a steel plate if that's what it takes!

Liz46 Sat 30-Apr-16 11:23:31

I have a fairly long body so find a separate top and bottom more comfortable. It's easier to go to the loo as well!

harrigran Sat 30-Apr-16 11:45:03

Does anyone have experience of swimming with a stoma ? Do you just wear normal swimsuit ?

annsixty Sat 30-Apr-16 11:59:11

Just google swimwear for stoma patients ,lots of websites.

Badenkate Sat 30-Apr-16 14:05:54

I'm thinking about going back to Victorian times for a full cover up. Believe me, there's no bit of my legs from ankle to btm that you'd want to see blush

Jane10 Sat 30-Apr-16 16:17:00

That would be lovely. I'd also like a bathing machine, preferably with a dresser as I find drying myself and forcing my clothes on afterwards very stressful as I'm so stiff and awkward. Perhaps this dresser could also have a nice cup of cocoa for me ready after my ladylike bathe and before the horse hauls us back up the beach. So civilised!

Badenkate Sat 30-Apr-16 16:33:36

I must admit, the idea of a cup of cocoa afterwards is very appealing!

Jane10 Sat 30-Apr-16 18:22:36

Sorry for previous post. It just got me thinking and I do occupy a rich fantasy world. Think I'll ring my imaginary bell to summon my notional butler and ask him to wheel in the imaginary drinks trolley!

rosesarered Sat 30-Apr-16 22:13:42

Stopped swimming years ago, much happier now! Always cold in pools and all that chlorine, and showering and shivering afterwards.Dread to think what a sight I would be in a swimsuit now, but back in the day ( as they say) I looked very fetching in my bikini.On holiday DH goes off and does several lengths of the pool while I read my book, happily, with a drink to hand.

harrysgran Sun 01-May-16 08:39:42

M&Co have got some nice ones in some with bright patterns and a plain black .

Blinko Sun 01-May-16 08:49:47

After years of spending a small fortune on swimwear due to large boobs syndrome, I've found that if I buy a size larger than normal at Matalan, it fits well enough. And at a bout a quarter of the price. No brainer!

Craftycat Sun 01-May-16 10:55:20

I buy Curvy Kate Tankinis- usually at the end of the season when they are selling them off cheap. Their swimwear has a proper bra fitted inside & it very figure flattering & boy does mine need flattering! You can get your normal bra size & they do a higher brief as well as the tiny ones.
I like a tankini as I get too hot in a swimsuit- I did try one year & it was a disaster. I like to get my tum brown too if I'm honest. Tankinis look like a swimsuit but you don't have to take it off every time you need the loo!They wash well & come in wonderful colours & patterns. Roll on July & a tiny peaceful cove in Rhodes!

castle Sun 01-May-16 11:42:46

I buy mine at bramisamo as I have big boobs. ?

Mumsyface Sun 01-May-16 11:59:54

I have had two with "tummy control" panels from M&S - nice swimsuits, very comfortable, but the "tummy control" panel simply doesn't work at all! Was considering taking them back and complaining.....trade descriptions legislation? wink