Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

David Nieper

(31 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 30-Apr-16 09:16:23

Any thoughts on clothes from this website? I saw an advert in a magazine and really liked the outfit shown but, on looking at the website, it seemed very expensive. I don't mind paying if the items are of good quality but I'd never heard of this company so no idea if its any good. Anyone had any experience of it?

Alea Sat 30-Apr-16 09:36:35

I agree, much of their stuff looks lovely but is pricey! Jenners rather than PT's you might say! smile

Teetime Sat 30-Apr-16 09:44:11

It is expensive but I know a lot of ladies who really like their clothes (its main factory is near us) and say they are well made classics which last and last.

Alea Sat 30-Apr-16 13:14:41

If the factory is nearby is there a Factory or Seconds shop? When I lived in the Scottish Borders there were some fabulous knitwear bargains (including cashmere) to be had in the factory shops! !

Parsleywin Sat 30-Apr-16 13:34:47

Jane, I have only ever had one item from them. It was a dressing gown, and yes it was expensive at the time but the cost per wear must have been miniscule as it lasted for an insanely long time!

Ellababy Sat 30-Apr-16 13:36:37

Haven't bought clothes but I get my nightgowns from them. So good to wear something that doesn't flap above my ankles but comes near the floor! The cut and quality is good so I would imagine the clothes are made along similar lines.

thatbags Sat 30-Apr-16 14:03:21

I had some cotton/modal PJs from then some time ago. The fabric was not as strong and hardwearing as cotton PJs I've had from elsewhere for less money. I'm not hard on my clothes, day or night, so I was rather disappointed. They looked nice.

Jane10 Sat 30-Apr-16 16:05:25

Thanks all. I'm still undecided. Have never bought clothes online before. Its one big adventure after another these days!!

Teetime Sat 30-Apr-16 16:16:13

NO I don't think there is a factory or outlet shop - they do position themselves as high quality so perhaps they don't put there things on the market in this way. Internet shopping is great from good companies as they make it so easy to return things and you can try them on in comfort at home and not be hurried/bullied into a purchase you don't feel good about.

annsixty Sat 30-Apr-16 16:45:31

David Neiper do in fact have a factory shop at their premises at Alfreton in Derbyshire. They sell samples and overproduction items.

Jane10 Tue 10-May-16 17:28:10

Well I'm fed up with David Nieper. I put in an order on 1st May, was wondering what had happened when nothing had arrived after 10 days so phoned. I was told I'd have to wait another 4weeks! Had not been told this. All I had was an acknowledgment of my order. No use to me as I needed it and had expected it more or less by return like most things ordered online. Result? Order cancelled. I'd better get a full refund. It was expensive and they had taken all the money despite knowingly not being able to fulfill the order within a month. Not happy with David Nieper angry

janeainsworth Tue 10-May-16 18:18:45

That's rubbish service jane but don't let it put you off online shopping generally.
I get things from Boden, Uniqlo and Toast and the stuff usually comes within a couple of days at the most.
You can try stuff on with the things you want it to go with, keep it for a few days until you're sure you're happy with it.
If you have to send it back and pay postage, so what? It's probably less than the cost of driving to the shops and paying to park your car. smile

Synonymous Tue 10-May-16 19:10:23

Sad that you didn't realise you could have made sure to get it when you needed it Jane but don't let that put you of. sad
David Nieper website clearly shows a number to ring if you want something at a particular time and lovely staff who are most obliging too. Nothing too much trouble.
Beautiful products which last beyond anything else in my experience. Beautifully cut, made with lovely material and all beautifully presented. British made too!
I do most of my shopping online nowadays and it takes a while to work your way through a site to get information that you would often get IRL just by chatting. That is why I just phone them very often particularly when I am tired and not firing on all cylinders.

Jane10 Tue 10-May-16 19:25:14

I suppose I'm just used to eg Amazon who acknowledge an order then send another email to say its been despatched and then it arrives. DN only acknowledged the order then nothing. How was I supposed to know it would take 4+ weeks? Nice lady on the phone but she wasn't helpful. Its put me off that company completely.

Synonymous Tue 10-May-16 20:22:22

Shame 'cos you are missing out on really good quality Jane. smile
If you felt she was unhelpful it might be a good idea to let the company know about it and how you would have liked it to pan out as I am sure they would take on board anything that was reasonable and possible.
To be fair, you would also get an email from DN when said item was despatched and I would expect it to be coming out by about 14 days in or thereabouts to say it was either being despatched or there would be a wait.

It must be pretty difficult for a smallish company to gauge the market well enough to work out when it is financially viable to take on more staff and be sure that they will be able to offer new people secure employment into the future, especially as things are in the world at present. I am so glad to be retired now and not in the cut and thrust of the business world!

I am pleased to say that the Chancellor of the exchequer (ie DH grin ) reckons I can order a couple of new nighties this month so I am a happy bunny. smile Last lot still ok and comfy but have had them about 14 years so it will be nice to have some new ones.

Jane10 Tue 10-May-16 20:30:31

Business is business. Communication with customers really matters. They didn't. They lost my business. That's modern online life! Plenty of other places to shop.

Synonymous Tue 10-May-16 20:36:30

cupcake brew smile

janeainsworth Wed 11-May-16 11:29:14

I ordered something online from Boden on Monday morning.
Got the acknowledgement straight away.
Got an email this morning from the courier to say they had my Boden parcel and a link so I can track where it is and when it will be delivered.
That's modern service. smile

Alea Wed 11-May-16 11:34:43

EAST have been known to deliver within 48 hours of online ordering, perhaps in case I have second thought hmm

Alea Wed 11-May-16 11:35:06

Or even thoughts

janeainsworth Wed 11-May-16 12:36:00

My Boden stuff has just come via Hermes - 48 hours after I ordered it.

Jane10 Wed 11-May-16 13:40:06

I like East's stuff so might check their website. Sad to say I think I'm too jumbo sized for Boden sad

janeainsworth Wed 11-May-16 13:53:21

No you're not Jane !

Jane10 Wed 11-May-16 15:38:52

Well I just checked and, amazingly, I could just about squeeze into their clothes. Nothing really caught my eye but I did see a lovely dress that janea would suit. I hope you've got it. I'll keep checking the website.

janeainsworth Wed 11-May-16 16:44:42

Which one? grin
What came for me today was a perfect black cashmere cropped v neck cardigan - you could wear one like that jane smile