Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

New shoes ripping feet

(68 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Wed 04-May-16 15:11:32

For the first time ever I have bought a pair of shoes from M and S which are killing me. They fit perfectly well when sitting, walking up and down in the shop, but just tried to do my weekly shop in them and they were agony. Not only rubbed my heel, but I can put a plaster on there, but the three smaller hoes have had the skin taken off. Any ideas so art from the bin.

shysal Wed 04-May-16 15:38:00

Perhaps use a shoe stretcher with knobs at the points where they rub? I have to do this on all new shoes to accommodate bunions and raised toes.

MiniMouse Wed 04-May-16 15:58:04

Oh, how disappointing Luckylegs9 You could try wearing thick socks and then wearing the shoes round the house?

mumofmadboys Wed 04-May-16 16:17:56

Try wearing them in around the house for twenty minutes at a time once your feet have recovered.

petitpois Wed 04-May-16 16:53:00

shysal What IS that?! Looks like a skewered banana/shark hybrid! shock

You could also use the hairdryer trick (works a charm!)
Put the shoes on (with socks preferably) then blast a hairdryer at them till they get warm and stretch to accommodate your feet. Might need to wait till your poor toes have recovered though?

Gagagran Wed 04-May-16 17:01:59

I have one foot wider and deeper than the other and when I get new shoes I take my too-tight shoe to my local cobbler and he stretches it for me.

The old fashioned way is to stuff them with newspaper - really ram it in and leave overnight. That works too.

LullyDully Wed 04-May-16 17:02:00

There is some spray you can buy that you spray in then wear about the house.It stretches the shoe . It works a treat. You can buy it in Clarke's.

Rosina Wed 04-May-16 17:06:42

I sympathise so much; over the years I have bought more pairs of shoes than I want to think about that have been absolutely fine in the shop, and then crippled me the first time I have worn them out in the street, and then of course you can't return them.
However, I have started wearing Hotter shoes, and they are fantastic. Evidently they have a fraction more toe room as well as other nice features , and although there are some 'Granny'' styles (and why, really, should I object to that??) they also do fabulous colours and some extremely sassy footwear. Last year I bought a pair of red suede wedges with pom poms on the toes and a GOLD leather lining, which caused my little grand daughter to go 'Ooooh Nanny!' when she saw them (They are known as my 'tart' shoes within the family now) The great thing is though that you have 90 days in which you can return them, even after they have been worn out in the street as well. (and I am not on a commission from Hotter)

Tegan Wed 04-May-16 17:34:50

I've just bought some Hotter shoes and wanted to buy two other pairs in different colours but the shop couldn't order them...said they were in stock but the warehouse wouldn't release them till mid August. May be able to buy them over the phone or the internet though. Most odd. I'm like you Rosina; it seems impossible to find shoes that don't hurt my feet. I tried some sandals on but my bunion goes off at such an angle that my right foot looks toeless sad.

TriciaF Wed 04-May-16 17:59:42

I have a pair of Hotter shoes which are the only ones I can wear when out shopping now. I don't want to resort to the style of the local elderly - they go everywhere in their hard-soled slippers.
I've got bunions, hammer toes , corns and arthritis in my feet.
Must get another pair of Hotters.

harrigran Wed 04-May-16 18:08:28

I want to go out but my feet are too painful to wear shoes, I am considering wearing my Fitflop sandals and bare feet. I have a pair of M&S sandals, probably 5 years old and they still skin my feet every wearing, they are now relegated to trips to wheelie bin only.

annodomini Wed 04-May-16 18:20:06

I have, at the last count four pairs of Hotter sandals which will be my footwear for the summer. I have lost count of the Hotter shoes I have bought. I'm lucky that the broad fit is just right for my square feet.

Luckylegs9 Wed 04-May-16 21:17:45

Thanks for your ideas everyone. I am sitting here with my poor feet on fire and hope the blisters go down as I am going out for the day Friday with a friend. Some of you have this all the time with each new pair of shoes so I have been fortunate. I have got myself a pair of flit flops so bring on the sun.

Deedaa Wed 04-May-16 22:07:30

I've only just discovered Hotter - they're really comfortable.

Alea Wed 04-May-16 22:26:05

I can only suggest that the place for these shoes is THE BIN . I used to do well with M&S shoes, but they have changed (or Inhave!)
Now I like Merrills, VanDal, Gabor, Rieker and sometimes Hotter although I am less happy with their styling vis à vis comfort than I used to be.

grannyqueenie Wed 04-May-16 22:34:07

I'm glad I am not the only one, my feet have always blistered easily. I've used so many plasters over the years I really should have shares in elastoplast! Sometimes even previously tried and tested shoes will suddenly cause a problem for no obvious reason. I'm between sizes in Hotter so they don't work well for me but Fitflops are my saviour in warm weather and boots usually work in winter. And of course carrying lots of plasters with me everywhere I go... just in case! The old boy has never been very sympathetic....but that all changed a couple of years ago after he had to abandon a long distance walk due to ????, you've guessed, blisters!!! grin

Ana Wed 04-May-16 22:34:09

I love Rieker shoes and boots, although I don't think they'd suit those with wide feet. I find Gabor's sizing a bit hit and miss, but then nothing's reliable any more!

Jalima Wed 04-May-16 22:43:03

Vaseline is supposed to be good for blisters.

I used to like Rieker but my feet seem to have got wider.
Can't really advise on shoes as some styles of some makes suit me and others don't.
I have some Flitflot winter shoes that are comfortable but I had some Hotter sandals (with gold leather linings) that were never comfortable. Some Pavers shoes are comfortable, as are Loretta, others not. Same with Gabor.

I have a pair of old M&S Italian made sandals/shoes that I wear around the house instead of slippers (can't wear slippers) but most of their styles don't fit me now.

glassortwo Wed 04-May-16 23:16:35

Try this blister stick from Boots, great for shoes that rub the first few times you wear them.

www.boots.com/en/Boots-Anti-Blister-Stick-7-5g_1285177/

rubylady Thu 05-May-16 03:27:27

I've always bought Hotters but the last few pair have been very tight and uncomfortable. I have just looked up the spray to loosen the leather and it is on Amazon so I will try that. I did buy some Julipa sandals but the bag they came in smelled like it had had 20 cigarettes before the shoes went in, it stunk. The shoes were ok, EEE fitting for when my feet are swollen but I am very disappointed with the Hotter shoes, especially the lime sandals, very me! grin

suzied Thu 05-May-16 06:40:05

Are they leather or synthetic?
Leather shoes will definitely stretch - you can break them in by walking round the house in them with 2 pairs of thick socks on for half an hour or as long as you can.build up the time and they will eventually stretch. Stuff the toes as tight as you can with thick socks and leave overnight is also effective. I have also done the freezer thing - use 2 of those zip lock freezer bags inside each other for safety - put in toe of shoe - fill bag with water Zip up securely then freeze. the water expands when frozen and stretches the shoe. I wouldn't use this method with expensive shoes though. I buy Camper shoes , when they are in the sale, and they are really good quality leather, which I often have to stretch, but once they fit they are the most comfortable shoes/ boots and last for years.

Anya Thu 05-May-16 06:50:19

Skechers for me. Very comfortable and in great colours.

absent Thu 05-May-16 06:55:56

I think that you have either bought the wrong size or shape or simply crap shoes. Chuck 'em.

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-May-16 07:02:26

For your blisters, I'd recommend Dotz plasters, in packs of 5 from Poundland. They provide good cushioning and whatever they're impregnated with gets to work fast. I'm not on commission from either concern!

Teetime Thu 05-May-16 07:13:14

Oh I'm glad its not juts me who is having shoe trouble I was beginning to think I had freaky feet. I have had an op on one and the other needs doing but you would think you could get comfy shoes. I have Van Dal now for nice shoes and have bought some new Clarks things that look like duck feet but I cant wait to get into flip flops for the summer (the expensive Clarks one with moulded soles). I have one pair of Hotter but heeled going out ones and they weren't that comfortable - I may have a look at Joseph Siebel this year.