Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dyson Hairdryer £299

(54 Posts)
Teetime Sun 29-May-16 10:26:22

Apparently this week sees the launch of the new silent lightweight Dyson hairdryer at £299- will you do you think? Don't think I will much as I like the concept.

Indinana Sun 29-May-16 10:28:34

I wonder how long it will be before G-Tech bring out a cordless version grin

Juggernaut Sun 29-May-16 10:30:25

Mine's ordered!
I know, it's an obscene amount to pay for a hairdryer, but I'm obsessive about my hair, I wash and style it every morning, and like the look/specs of this, so I'm treating myself grin

grannylyn65 Sun 29-May-16 10:46:29

However rich I was, I would Never pay that for a hairdrier !!!

tanith Sun 29-May-16 10:49:30

No way Jose!!

annodomini Sun 29-May-16 10:54:13

I had to look carefully to see if there was a decimal point between the 9s in the OP! It would have to be very heavily discounted before I bought one of those.

Charleygirl Sun 29-May-16 11:26:12

I would not pay £29.99 for it never mind the asking price but I am a cheapskate.

Jenty61 Sun 29-May-16 11:36:02

just as well buy one of their heaters for the same price and sit in front ot that! dual purpose...

my last hair dryer cost £10 I only use it to defrost the fridge...using a hairdryer frequently for drying the hair doesnt do your hair any good at all...

hildajenniJ Sun 29-May-16 11:38:59

I don't need any sort of hairdryer. My hair is so short it dries itself in about 15 minutes. I wonder how many people would pay £299 for a hairdryer?

Charleygirl Sun 29-May-16 11:56:55

Mine cost under a tenner and it is only used in an emergency- I agree it does not do your hair any good if used regularly. Even if I had a spare £299 I still would not buy one.

NanaandGrampy Sun 29-May-16 14:29:29

I would go bald before I bought a hairdryer for £299!!

I don't care how good, how quiet it is .

Nelliemoser Sun 29-May-16 18:04:02

No! juggernaut could you explain why a £299+ hairdryer is any better than a £20 one. You must have a lot of spare time.

My hair is also very short I usually give it a quick pat over with a towel.

sweetcakes Sun 29-May-16 19:10:51

More money than sense IMO

appygran Sun 29-May-16 19:16:32

I like the design and specification and may treat myself to one. No justification needed.

HildaW Sun 29-May-16 19:20:13

Having slowly grown out a layered crop that I've had (in slightly different variations)for 30 odd years - I now sport a neat 'bob' not unlike the style I had as a young girl. It washes and wears very well.....its the way my hair wants to be it turns out....its taken me 30 years to realise this. So the hairdryer is hardly needed....only on the odd occasions I want to blast a bit of extra 'body' into it. That being said I've always felt it was the hairdresser's skill that made a big difference to any style......its not the tool its what they do with it!

petra Sun 29-May-16 19:20:58

Sweetcakes. Why can't you have a brains and money?

SewAddict Sun 29-May-16 20:10:46

No that's an obscene amount of money for a hairdryer!
What on earth does it do??

morethan2 Sun 29-May-16 20:12:16

Apart from it being quiet and light what's so good about it? I know some of the more expensive hair dryers do somthing that stop your hair fizzing and keeps it smooth.

annodomini Mon 30-May-16 19:31:28

sweetcakes, you got there before me. grin

I have very fine hair which dries almost before I can switch on the drier, so I can think of much better ways to spend £300.

Juggernaut Tue 31-May-16 11:08:20

To those of you who think I'm mad for spending £299 on a hairdryer......
I want it, I can afford it, I'm having it, and I don't need to justify my decisionsmile
As long as I have enough in the bank to feel secure, I live by the 'can't take it with you', 'no pocket's in shrouds', 'it's made round to go round' rules!
Sweetcakes
I'm a member of Mensa, so probably have more sense than moneygrin

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 11:18:24

Jug.... If you want it, go for it. I have spent more than that on things my partner thinks totally useless, just because I could. You can't take it with you.

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 11:24:22

Just watched the Dyson video, looks great, BUT wait a minute, the guy near the end of the video hasn't got any hair !!!, a towel would have worked. (only joking)
Does look to be a typical Dyson product. well designed and built to perform the designated task as well as is possible.

Riverwalk Tue 31-May-16 11:56:47

As Juggernaut washes and styles her hair everyday and this obviously makes her happy smile it's not that expensive on a 'cost per use' basis.

On Saturday I spent more than this on sports clothes from Sweaty Betty, and why not.

When not working I walk 1-2 hours a day, sometimes longer, and wanted some decent stylish gear. Hitherto have been wearing baggy grey trackie bottoms and old T-shirts!

Nonnie1 Tue 31-May-16 12:29:48

I have a GHD hair dryer. It's the best thing I ever bought. This new one will really have to be good to beat mine. Will it mow the lawn I wonder smile

Teetime Tue 31-May-16 14:33:58

The first reason I'm interested in this hairdryer is that I find holding a dryer up over my head really makes my poor old shoulders ache and I have thick hair that takes ages to dry and if I don't dry it its then a big Brillo pad. The second reason is the noise - my hairdryer is deafening and I switch it off before my hair is dry - Brillo pad again. I would consider it but DH has a problem with James Dyson.... and Rupert Murdoch, and Jeremy Clarkson, and George Osborne ....... I hope someone else makes a similar one though. I suppose many of us have our indulgences that others would not consider here's mine as we are talking money- I wouldn't shop in Lidl or Aldi I prefer Waitrose and M & S! grin