Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tights that are comfortable comfortable to wear

(67 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 29-May-16 17:34:04

Which shop and or brand sells the most comfortable design in tights please? I'm tired of ending up with tights where the crotch is halfway to my knees despite buying a pair that should fit my size, or ladder at the slightest touch, or are short in the body section. I'm going to a wedding soon and I would like to be smart and comfortable. smile

All comments gratefully received.

ninathenana Sun 29-May-16 17:44:52

I never wear the damn things so can't help.
I hope someone can point you in the right direction

tanith Sun 29-May-16 17:48:07

I've not worn them for as long as I can remember because they are not comfortable. Good luck in your search.

Charleygirl Sun 29-May-16 17:53:28

I also have not worn them since I stopped working but I used to buy mine in BHS.

Grannyknot Sun 29-May-16 18:21:37

How on earth did I put comfortable in the subject line twice?! Clearly a deep seated desire grin

Thanks for comments so far!

Badenkate Sun 29-May-16 18:28:05

Never found any Grannyknot! I'm 5'10" and the crotch was always halfway towards my knees. Haven't worn the things for years. In fact if you look at photos of many women they don't seem to wear them these days. Suspender belts were even worse ?

millymouge Sun 29-May-16 18:36:57

I agree with Charleygirl I always found BHS tights the best. These days I only wear on very special occasions.

Luckygirl Sun 29-May-16 18:42:07

"Tights" and "comfortable" do not belong in the same sentence.

yogagran Sun 29-May-16 19:12:11

I used to hate wearing tights till a friend persuaded me to try Wolford tights. They're available from John Lewis among other places, more expensive than some but they last much, much longer AND are comfortable

granjura Sun 29-May-16 19:49:21

Hate them too sad

Tegan Sun 29-May-16 19:54:55

I'm quite small but have huge legs so can never find tights that fit properly (they must have a gussett!). When I do actually find some that fit I can never remember where I got them from.

Grannyknot Sun 29-May-16 20:00:06

Googling on the topic took me to an article from 2011 in the Huffington Post: "God forbid, pantyhose. If you were over 5’ 3”, they didn’t reach your waist, though you pulled them tight enough to splay your toes, and you spent the whole day worrying about being involuntarily pantsed."

grin (not that I know what "pantsed" means).

Grannyknot Sun 29-May-16 20:01:56

tegan that's me too (can never remember where a decent pair was bought) - especially as I don't wear them often.

Gonna check out Wolford now, thanks!

loopylou Sun 29-May-16 20:33:11

I like John Lewis' tights, they're really comfortable.
Now I've stopped work my stash will keep me going until I pop my clogs!

Deedaa Sun 29-May-16 21:50:38

I can usually find ones that fit in M&S but I do have to read all the measurements on the label carefully.

seasider Mon 30-May-16 00:15:59

Pretty Polly but I buy the size for tall women and they come up to my chest!

whitewave Mon 30-May-16 07:19:25

David Nieper sell tights but they are hellishly expensive. Often wonder what they are like.

Auntieflo Mon 30-May-16 07:59:55

Tegan and Grannyknot, I also belong in your size group. I do wear tights , as I find they stop my thighs rubbing, sorry, too much info blush. M&S are OK as are some of Tesco tights, if they have gussets, nice smile On the plus side, they are reasonably cheap and last a while.

Auntieflo Mon 30-May-16 08:04:57

I've just googled David Nieper tights. Oh the legs! envy. Shouldn't be allowed.

whitewave Mon 30-May-16 08:18:25

Yes but look at the price £29 for support tights!!!!!

Greenfinch Mon 30-May-16 08:24:11

I have always found Peacocks fine but most of their shops seem to have closed now.sad

Liz46 Mon 30-May-16 08:26:35

I have a big bag of tights but have not worn any for several years. I hate them.

minimo Mon 30-May-16 08:43:34

I used to find that most tights pinched me terribly in the middle. But I find these M&S ones very comfortable www.marksandspencer.com/100-denier-velvet-touch-opaque-tights-1-pair-pack/p/p22339130?image=SD_02_T60_5622_Y0_X_EC_90&color=BLACK&prevPage=plp I'm quite tall. They may be too thick for a summer wedding though?

moobox Mon 30-May-16 09:18:09

Funny how everyone I know seems to have gone over to trousers, so there has been quite a shift over the last 20 years or so

Rosina Mon 30-May-16 09:20:27

When my son married I bought an eye wateringly expensive outfit and the shop offered me a pair of tights FREE. (WOW!) They were amazingly comfortable, and although I almost choked when I saw the price on the packet (£20, and this was nine years ago) they lasted for years and were incredibly comfortable. They were, I am sure, 'Wolford Wolsey' or something very similar. I saved them for special occasions - they were silky, stretchy but not baggy, and I could wear them without even thinking about drooping knees and a waistband edging down. Likely to be abut £30 now but worth it if you consider the 'cost per wear' - they probably worked out cheaper than Poundland in the end.