Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shampoo and Set anyone?

(37 Posts)
JessM Sun 24-Jul-16 09:37:42

Not surprisingly this hair salon standard is dying out. It's a generation thing I suppose. I'm in my 60s and shampoo and set was something the older generation had when I was a child. The end of an era. My MIL used to have one every week, until she reached point where she couldn't get to the hairdressers. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36854809

glammanana Sun 24-Jul-16 09:58:38

JessM we have locally a small Salon where the owner still does shampoo & set mainly on a Tues/Wed when it is senior ladies discount days and she always has a queue first thing in the morning she also has booking for going into the local nursing homes with her portable
hood and stand when I had my hair trimmed there a couple of months ago she did say she can do 2/3 cut and blows in the time it takes to do a shampoo & set.Thanks for the link it brought back many memories.x

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 10:02:16

I used to go every week in my hey day!?

Now once every 5 weeks to get the grey covered?

ninathenana Sun 24-Jul-16 10:09:43

It was always a Saturday morning ritual for mum when she was working. She still went regularly after she retired in the '80s and still had it done at day care each week until she went into residential.
I never knew my mum without a 'shampoo and set' style smile

Charleygirl Sun 24-Jul-16 11:08:06

An aunt of mine who died recently never washed her own hair for many many years. When she lived in London there was a hairdresser close by and when she was in the care home it was obviously done for her there.

JessM Sun 24-Jul-16 11:16:03

We do have a salon locally that seems to cater for this market. Just set me wondering if we could go forward in time 50 years which of today's "hair and beauty" trends will have persisted, but only for the generation that embraced them.
Spray tans maybe?

henetha Sun 24-Jul-16 12:00:11

I'm the opposite of your aunt, Charleygirl, - I haven't been near a hairdresser for 30 years. Can't abide anything about hairdressers.

Teetime Sun 24-Jul-16 13:41:55

Several of the salons here still do it and there seems to be a demand for it and perms as well. Personally I hate rigid hairdresser hair but I do put a few heated rollers in now and again. My mother and MIL went every week without fail for their bouffants!

Deedaa Sun 24-Jul-16 20:34:34

When I have my hair cut on OAP's day there are always one or two ladies having a shampoo and set (into proper old ladies styles) I'm afraid mine is just wash and go, because that's all it gets at home.

etheltbags1 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:43:55

I wonder what age do we change and become the grey set generation. It must start somewhere. I hate hairdressers and have had my long tail cut off I now need it trimmed. Dreading going back its too public. I shall grow it out and scrape it back. My friend is 79 and has hers this way

gettingonabit Sun 24-Jul-16 20:55:39

The salon I go to still mainly deals in shampoos and sets. (I don't have one myself, btw..)

kittylester Sun 24-Jul-16 21:20:30

I told my sister in law that she has to have a granny perm and go grey now her daughter is pregnant. And I've ordered her a rocking chair! grin

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 21:31:25

I have a horror of having an 'old lady style' even though I am probably in that category!!
However, my hair seems to be getting more and more curly, wild when it is longer and looking 'permed' when it is short, however much I try to blow-dry it straight. The hairdresser can blow-dry it straight but if it's damp outside it's a waste of time!
It's not grey yet though .....

DM never washed her own hair as far as I remember - she went to the hairdresser's every week for a shampoo and set, and when she was unable to go out either sister-in-law or I used to shampoo and set it in rollers.

gettingonabit Sun 24-Jul-16 22:01:18

The salon I go to still mainly deals in shampoos and sets. (I don't have one myself, btw..)

Leticia Sun 24-Jul-16 22:13:30

I thought they had died out years ago. I don't know any salons that do them- or who would want them. My mother is over 90yrs and has a wash and blow dry for at least 40years.

Leticia Sun 24-Jul-16 22:15:19

If I saw a hairdressers with curlers and hoods there is no way that I would even go through the door.

gettingonabit Sun 24-Jul-16 22:58:52

Why not, leticia? It doesn't mean the stylist is out of touch, necessarily. My stylist is brilliant-best I've ever had-and cheap too. Her core business is shampoo and set, though.

ninathenana Mon 25-Jul-16 01:06:11

Agreed gettingonabit My usual salon is unisex and you will often see a twenty something guy sitting next to a "shampoo and set" client.

mumofmadboys Mon 25-Jul-16 07:19:32

I don't know where you live Leticia but look around you. There are plenty of shampoo and set older ladies!

petra Mon 25-Jul-16 08:44:08

leticia Those hairdressers who still do shampoo and set know far more about hair than many younger hairdressers.

JessM Mon 25-Jul-16 09:13:22

Maybe it's a good look if your hair is getting a bit thin?
Vivienne Westwood embraced it at one stage. But then she has done most things with her hair e.g. long and messy and dyed orange, shaved to a white stubble etc

ginny Mon 25-Jul-16 11:43:38

My hairdresser has just one drier for Shampoo and set ladies but says they only do a few nowadays. I certainly don't know any one of my age or younger that still has one.

Mother in law has her S & s every week and has it coloured too. She is 85 and says she doesn't want people to think she is old. She is totally baffled as to why at 62 I am happy to have my natural greying hair colour.

Leticia Mon 25-Jul-16 19:07:11

I will have a look but they certainly have no driers in mine. I also have young hairdressers who are excellent. I am not sure where all these 'older ladies' are- my mother at 93 has a wash and blow dry, as do her friends. I am in my 60s and can't think of anyone my age who would have a shampoo and set.

Leticia Mon 25-Jul-16 19:11:18

Actually, having given it some thought, my mother's local hairdressers has one drier so some must still have it. I would imagine that many my mother's age are like her and have a hairdresser come to the house and then it has to be a hand dryer.

Harris27 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:56:38

I had to laugh at this thread have been looking for home hairdresser for elderly am in law and couldn't get one for her that did wash and set tried about ten and all said no. Eventually got lay that does it but costly!