Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

The curse of VPL

(71 Posts)
maybenot Tue 26-Jul-16 17:09:09

I hate VPL. It's obviously not so much of a problem in winter with thicker fabrics and long jumpers etc but in the summer with thinner lighter materials it's a nightmare especially when wearing trousers. Any suggestions? I can't be doing with a thong and I went to M&S and bought their no VPL pants but they are as bad as the normal ones!!

grannylyn65 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:16:21

Go commando ?

maybenot Tue 26-Jul-16 17:27:15

I couldn't! It would feel all wrong. And uncomfortable. Do people really do this?

Badenkate Tue 26-Jul-16 17:30:43

I have to confess that I had to google VPL. How tight are your trousers maybenot? Can't say I've ever had this problem!

suzied Tue 26-Jul-16 17:33:27

I think maybe your trousers are too thin/ tight? Why not wear a longer line t shirt or tunic which covers the hips/ thighs then it's not a problem. I wear Uniqglo jeans or cropped leggings with long t shirts or their baggyish colourful summer trousers with shorter tops and never had this problem!

gettingonabit Tue 26-Jul-16 17:38:36

maybenot going commando is quite comfortable. So I'm toldwink.

GandTea Tue 26-Jul-16 18:03:20

I know my anatomy is different, but commando is comfortable most of the time. Surly underwear is a throwback to the time when outer clothes were not frequently washed and underpants prevented soiling. Nowadays we tend to wash outer clothes as often as underwear, I. would not normally wear trousers for more that than one day.

My only advice would be to check the mirror in strong light, or you might be showing more than you wish, especially in white.

shandi6570 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:24:23

Grannyln65, I am with you on this one, I have been going commando for over 45 years and hate it if I have to 'conform' and wear the dreaded pants/knickers! (Visits to doctor etc). I can well remember a visit to a physiotherapist who asked me to take my trousers off to check something and my embarrassment that I was not wearing knickers! However,they were only invented about 100 years ago, so are a comparatively new item of clothing wink

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:32:24

If going commando remember not to jump on a trampoline with Gchildren!
Have you tried the opposite approach and worn Big knickers.?

phoenix Tue 26-Jul-16 18:32:30

I did post once about having to go commando all day during business meetings after an unfortunate thong incident on the train from Exeter to Paddington blush (Don't know if the post/thread can be found?)

I find some knickers make me look as if I have 4 buttocks confused

Lillie Tue 26-Jul-16 18:54:56

Do you iron your knickers? I do .... and it makes them flatter and less visible!

phoenix Tue 26-Jul-16 19:00:06

Iron your knickers????????

(Phoenix comes over all unnecessary and has to have a lie down)

Iam64 Tue 26-Jul-16 19:34:27

who cares? I do wear pants because it's more comfortable but in the evening I dispense of any items of underwear and wear a long loose frock or skirt and top.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-Jul-16 20:18:59

I'm just trying to imagine GandTea's surly underwear. grin

Deedaa Tue 26-Jul-16 20:42:11

I don't find a problem with vpl although I do have to be careful about wearing flesh coloured knickers with some of my lighter linen trousers. I've got some rather clingy black trousers I wear in the evenings and then I just leave off the knickers.

grannylyn65 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:06:32

Gandtea, surly underwear?? Surely not !!

whitewave Tue 26-Jul-16 21:07:03

Blimey this is a revelation. I had no idea that so many people went knickerless!

The item of underwear I hate is the bra. But would look awful without one.

Alima Tue 26-Jul-16 21:27:06

Sorry to go off the point here but today I found myself wondering why so many women wear such tight clothing sometimes that everything is revealed. Not just VPL but belly buttons, rolls of fat, nipples, bulges, really not nice.

GandTea Tue 26-Jul-16 21:33:52

grannylyn65, never could spell

petra Tue 26-Jul-16 21:38:03

If you have a VPL your trousers/ skirts are too tight.
I only started wearing pants in my late 50s when the dreaded 'leaking' started.

tanith Tue 26-Jul-16 21:42:03

There are plenty of pants that don't give you a VPL they don't have any seam or elastic round the leg I'm sure I've seen them in most shops..

Minder Wed 27-Jul-16 09:45:25

If my trousers show the PL, I wear a thong grin

amber22 Wed 27-Jul-16 09:49:51

I wear tights under trousers, so no VPL, never occurred to me to wear knickers or pants or whatever you wish to call them. If you want bare feet for sandals, cut old tights off at the knee. I do sometimes wear a thong but they're rather uncomfortable.

Sunlover Wed 27-Jul-16 09:52:08

I've invested in some BIG knickers to wear under t shirty maxi dresses. I hate seeing any form of knicker line or lumps and bumps. I got ones which are flesh coloured and look like cycling shorts. They give a lovely smooth appearance and also help hold the dreaded cellulite in place!!

Lilyflower Wed 27-Jul-16 10:03:47

My view is that VPL is a visible sign of respectability!

Having said that, M & S kids' 'seam free, sporty, high leg' briefs do the trick. The 9-10 year ones are about the equivalent of a size eight and they do bigger sizes.