Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I can't get my boots on!

(60 Posts)
rubylady Tue 25-Oct-16 01:11:07

I have a lovely pair of Hotter Pixie boots in burgundy which I have had a couple of years now and are a comfort of the winter months. I could have cried the other day when I pulled them out to put on and found that my balloon feet would not go in them, even though they weren't that puffy that day, I thought. Not happy.

I love and trust Hotter. Do any of you recommend another pair of boots of theirs which are still fashionable with extra fitting and probably a close tab over so that I can adjust when my feet are acting up. I have looked on their site and even though they look great, I would like some honest opinions as it is a lot to pay out for a pair of boots and then have trouble getting them sent back if not correct. Thank you, my friends. X

DaphneBroon Tue 25-Oct-16 08:20:45

I have had exactly the same problem with my pixie boots, in fact although I loved them, they are possibly going to the charity shop. I wore them all last winter so assumed the suede would have stretched. You can get shoes stretched, could a shoe mender/Timpsons perhaps stretch the insteps of your boots? Maybe silk socks might help,your feet slide in rubylady or if enough of us complain to Hotter, they might redesign them with a zip. sad
Can't afford a new pair, but did wonder if the extra wide might go on more easily. Alternatively they do a nice purple suede boot with 2 zips called Whisper and there is currently £10 off.

Jayanna9040 Tue 25-Oct-16 08:28:39

I don't have feet that swell they are just enormous! Hotter are no good to me. I bought sandals from them this year which didn't just rub up blisters they actually made raw patches after about 30 minutes. I had to go to trading standards to get Hotter to honour their comfort guarantee.
I quite often buy men's shoes to get the room I need but they only usually come in black and brown.?☹️

teabagwoman Tue 25-Oct-16 10:36:39

I have problems finding shoes as I need extra width and extra depth so I now use dbshoes.co.uk. Not the most stylish but for me comfort is all important. Doesn't stop me being very envious of people who can wear pixie boots though.

Tizliz Tue 25-Oct-16 10:43:39

rubylady look on ebay for Hotter shoes. I know there are bargains there as my dd has just put up all my mil's. she kept on buying them even though she was housebound. Yesterday we managed to persuade fil to let dd sort out her wardrobe - she died in January.

I love Hotter pixie boots as well but have slim, small feet so can't recommend any for you.

radicalnan Tue 25-Oct-16 10:59:43

Hotter do have one style in triple eee with a sort of velcro strap at the front.I am having to consider these..........I bought the extra wide pixie boots and could not get feet in them.very disappointed. Hotter has quality on its side but I feel they are not very realistic about feet, the tight turn to pull the Pixie boots on is just not possible.

I have arthritis and unless I can get things on easily I cant get them on at all..............and that isn't rocket science.shame on Hotter. The eee sizes re the frumpy ones, even the tried and tested Shaker design comes in juts 3 colours.including black, boring.

Not as impressed with them as I once was. They do free returns but it is still a lot of faffing about.

Elegran Tue 25-Oct-16 11:05:46

I always buy DB Shoes for my EEEE feet. They have a very wide range of styles, in widths that go right up to 6E or 8E. There are frumpy ones and classic ones, and their Da Bella range is an Italian-looking style, with higher heels.

I looked at Hotter and they only have a few EEE width, all of them definitely old-lady style. Not nearly as attractive as DB.

Luckygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 11:07:17

Rieker are good for boots.

Conni7 Tue 25-Oct-16 11:29:29

Have you tried M&S Footglove? They do zips on boots.

Funnygran Tue 25-Oct-16 12:34:04

I've had Hotter shoes and boots too, some better than others for width. I can also vouch for M&S Footglove as Conni7 does. I bought a pair of their ankle boots with zip last week and it's like wearing a pair of slippers. May have to go back for another colour!

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 13:10:58

Thank you, I have never heard of DB shoes.

I am stuck with Hotter, black lace ups and triple E. Be careful if you buy a Hotter shoe with a velcro strap and your foot swells. The strap pinged off my left foot as my foot was very swollen- luckily I had only reached the front door so was not shuffling around the street.

Elegran Tue 25-Oct-16 13:24:58

charleygirl www.dbshoes.co.uk

aggie Tue 25-Oct-16 13:39:24

I hope you get boots , but more important can you get the GP to give you something for the swelling

silverlining48 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:53:50

I wish boots had a bit more 'give' in the legs because though my feet are fine, my calves refuse to be squeezed into a long boot and a long boot is what I would like to have.

grannypiper Tue 25-Oct-16 14:45:42

Try Clarks un range, they are like having your feet wrapped in a duvet, just pure bliss

Jalima Tue 25-Oct-16 14:52:07

teabagwoman I bought some DB shoes as well; some are not that stylish but I thought their boots were OK (haven't sent for any though). Not pixie boots!!
I am waiting for new orthotics before I buy new boots.
I can't get my other boots on with the insoles.

Jalima Tue 25-Oct-16 14:53:57

Rieker are not that wide in fact; I used to wear Rieker shoes but my feet must have got wider and they aren't comfortable any more.

It is my Clark's short boots that don't fit any more sad

ittybitty123 Tue 25-Oct-16 15:21:44

Hotter shoes are no good for me, I have found Cosyfeet the best as you can get extends for the straps etc. Large range of styles for both men and women extremely comfortable and if you have a medical problem you don't pay vat. They also do socks ,stockings and tights for bigger legs and feet as well as various other foot related items.

Charleygirl Tue 25-Oct-16 15:24:15

Elegran thank you, I must have a look.

Rosina Tue 25-Oct-16 15:29:20

There are 'Hotter' discount shops in some shopping villages and they usually have a good few boots to try. Also, they do a 90 day 'money back or swap for something else' guarantee which I hadn't realised meant also if you have worn the shoes/boots out in the street. Might be worth sending for a few sizes as you can send them all back with the one label.

Stella14 Tue 25-Oct-16 15:31:05

Here is a code for Hotter that gives you 30% off and free P&P SQAGDW It expires on 31st October. Enjoy!

MargaretinNorthant Tue 25-Oct-16 15:53:10

Have you tried Cosyfeet? My arthritic friend swears by them and I think you can get extensions for the velcro straps if you need them for very swollen feet.

luluaugust Tue 25-Oct-16 16:42:37

Tizliz do you buy your slim fitting shoes anywhere in particular, I find it very difficult to buy a slim fitting

libra10 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:25:19

I've heard such a lot of good things about Hotter shoes, that I would love to try them. Unfortunately their range starts at size 3, and I take size 2.

Kate51 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:55:49

I would also reccomend Cosyfeet.