Gransnet forums

Technology

Yahoo & security

(4 Posts)
toomuchcouchgrass Thu 29-Sep-16 10:13:29

I use my neat little Blackberry 9300 to access my Yahoo email account quite a bit when I’m away from home. I’m now getting messages from Yahoo that they intend to block access “from older apps” - but Blackberry isn’t one of the ones they list. Does anyone know anything about this? I really don’t want to have to get a clunky smartphone I don’t otherwise need. Thanks.

Cherrytree59 Thu 29-Sep-16 10:55:41

Hi I use a Blackberry torch all the time rather than a pad or laptop.
I prefer to use qwerty keys than a touch screen.
A couple of days ago my DH was on the laptop and wanted to access his Yahoo email account.
At first he could not connect and yahoo said they had engineers working on the site
when he was able to connect later in the day he was unable to open using his password. There was link that said that yahoo had an issue with being hacked (strangely this was several yrs ago) and that our account was now case sensitive.we do not use Yahoo for anything else.
We changed the password for both our emails.
I then was unable access on my Blackberry I had to verify new passwords.
Other than a photo app I don't use any other Apps on the Blackberry
and I have not had any Yahoo messages on my Blackberry.
I have 2 email accounts which are yahoo addresses.

toomuchcouchgrass Thu 29-Sep-16 16:17:09

Thanks Cherrytree! Yahoo seem to be bombarding users with security messages just now but I'm not clear if they're doing it randomly, maybe to sell more of their apps, or if there's a particularly problem with Blackberry. I thought Blackberry were quite secure. As you say, it's a hassle to change passwords, you have something else to remember, and you have to go through all the rigmarole again on your Blackberry.

NanaMacGeek Sat 01-Oct-16 23:08:28

Hello toomuchcouchgrass, you say that you use your Blackberry to access Yahoo emails when away but how do you access your emails from home? The email client (app) you have set up to access Yahoo email from home may not meet modern/Yahoo's security standards. When you access emails using older apps, the account information, including passwords, is sent over the network. Yahoo deem this transfer of sensitive information to be insecure using older apps. However, when Yahoo send you an email, they don't know which computer/mobile you will use to open it, so the email may not apply to all the apps you use. Your Blackberry may not be the problem. Yahoo can see what settings various apps on all devices (including home computers, tablets and mobiles) are using to access emails and will block those they believe to be insecure. You can log into your Yahoo account and allow apps that use less secure sign in. Given the huge data breach that Yahoo have recently had to acknowledge, they were duty bound to tighten up security.