Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Babes of Hollywood - child actors documentary on More 4

(5 Posts)
Elegran Wed 10-Aug-11 17:28:45

I did not like the picture one bit. The makeup, clothes and pose are not "pretty" they are sexy.

Many of the comments (from men!) claimed that it is not sexy. They should read "Lolita", in particular the scene where Humbert Humbert paints the toenails of his prepubertal mistress. That Lolita was fully aware of her power over a grown man is irrelevant to whether a child should be portrayed in this way. She is NOT sexually available, and should not be packaged as though she is.

Mother is trying to sell her daughter's maidenhead to the highest bidder, metaphorically if not literally. There are ugly names for this

effblinder Wed 10-Aug-11 16:37:01

I saw the original of that story earlier this week - I actually don't have a problem with the original pictures as images - I think they're meant to be tongue in cheek (I love the rabbits in that link!). What is worrying is how a 10 year old ended up in that situation, surrounded by photographers, make up artists etc - it's not quite trying on your mum's lippy in her bedroom is it?

Elegran Wed 10-Aug-11 15:43:24

fashion.telegraph.co.uk/article/TMG8690624/Mother-of-10-year-old-Vogue-model-speaks-out.html

Elegran Wed 10-Aug-11 14:27:33

Horrendous. Similarly the child beauty queen industry.

effblinder Wed 10-Aug-11 13:39:17

This was such a sad documentary - the children were so exploited and treated so strangely by their parents.

There was a mother and daughter couple who moved to LA for years and years and hadn't had any luck even though they applied for anything and everything. The children of course were all adorable but it just made me so sad that the only way they would feel like they'd achieved their dream is by fitting in with the Hollywood dream. So so many other ways for a child to be successful - and why ruin your childhood chasing a dream?

The casting agents were awful people as well - exploiting the weakness of the parents who just wanted the best for their children to get the most money out of them.

Horrendous, horrendous industry.