Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Jamaica Inn

(107 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 21-Apr-14 21:39:43

Anyone watching? I love this book and have been anticipating watching the series with enjoyment, but the sound is terrible - music drowning out conversation, actors mumbling or muffled sound. Looked on the BBC feedback and see others have the same complaint. I hope it bucks up!

judidoo Wed 23-Apr-14 17:12:02

Too dark, too mumbly, and too much standing around (the heroine) with one facial expression - or striding about on the moor to emphasise the loneliness.

In spite of all this I'm still watching- vaguely- as I've forgotten how it ends.

1 out of 10 for production and continuity.

Dragonfly1 Wed 23-Apr-14 18:22:54

A lot of complaints about the mumbles, according to tonight's news.

Treebee Wed 23-Apr-14 21:34:14

Hmm, they've stopped a-mumbling cos they're dead. Never made it to Devon!

Deedaa Wed 23-Apr-14 22:36:11

I am just stunned by the fact that the BBC will spend so much money on producing a prestige drama and yet apparently not bother to have anybody sit and watch it to see if it is actually watchable.
It's one thing to spend the money and have people complain about the subject or the casting or the costumes, but to have them switching off in droves because it's an incomprehensible blur is ludicrous.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Apr-14 22:44:47

Tonight's episode was absolutely superb. Such a shame it got off to a bad start on Monday.

merlotgran Wed 23-Apr-14 22:49:37

I'm going to have to dig out my battered old copy of Jamaica Inn because I don't remember any of that stuff with the vicar's sister on Roughtor. confused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Apr-14 22:55:16

So much of the book I can't remember…

Will have to do the same merlot

merlotgran Wed 23-Apr-14 23:04:59

I like the way the subtitles describe a background noise like.....door creaks.

The best one was.....Horse nickers. grin

Deedaa Wed 23-Apr-14 23:11:32

I had a long argument with a teacher at primary school merlot because I mentioned a pony nickering in a story I wrote. I assured her that according to my knowledge of pony books (Which was encyclopaedic at that time!) it was a perfectly acceptable word and what ponies did. She grudgingly allowed it, but I don't think she believed me.

merlotgran Wed 23-Apr-14 23:13:52

According to DH, Jamaica Inn was three nights of old horse nickers. grin

NfkDumpling Thu 24-Apr-14 07:46:30

I enjoyed it. Apart from the ending. Too many bullets just nicking rocks, incredibly fast reloading and accurate shots to the heart! I too will need to re-read the book. It's been a while!

jansyhy Thu 24-Apr-14 08:38:39

Dismayed with the poor sound quality and the darkness. A waste of licence payers money. I thought the BBC should have done so much better. Suggest people read the book.

Jackthelad Thu 24-Apr-14 08:41:55

Some of you are made of sterner stuff and stuck out to the end, but why the surprise at the changes to the storyline. Modern dramatists love to graft on present day values and add in how they think the story should have been told. "I can do it better". I liked the BBC's response over the poor quality of the sound. It wasn't their broadcast it was your big screen television not having the correct speakers. You really should have kept your old Ferguson 9" black and white.

rosesarered Thu 24-Apr-14 09:10:16

Have recorded it to watch tonight, but so far only seen the first episode.Glad the sound improves a bit.
Isn't the heroines name Mary Yelland? Only others keep saying Mary Ellen, so maybe I am remembering her name wrongly [haven't read this since I was about 14.]
Do horses make a lot of sounds with a K in them? Nicker, whicker?confused Thought a horse nicker was a rustler.

whenim64 Thu 24-Apr-14 09:19:51

It's Mary Yellan, roses. A lovely book, Jamaica Inn. I started reading it again last night.

DebnCreme Thu 24-Apr-14 09:25:47

Had recorded it but given today's news regarding Cornwall it may have to stay unwatched until my temper cools down.

Aka Thu 24-Apr-14 09:29:20

I thought she was Mary Yelland too.

What news about Cornwall?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Apr-14 09:39:12

You must have had the audio description, as well as the subtitles, on merlot. I didn't get any "horse nickers"! grin

janeainsworth Thu 24-Apr-14 10:06:12

They want independence, Aka. Or something similar. <sigh>

janeainsworth Thu 24-Apr-14 10:11:40

Sorry Aka, just seen Debncreme's link on another thread
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035
They have been granted minority status.

felice Thu 24-Apr-14 14:33:52

It is Mary Yelland, but when the name was said in the first episode it sounded like they were saying, Mary-Ellen.

whenim64 Thu 24-Apr-14 14:43:57

In the book, it's Mary Yellan, felice. Just had another look in case I read it wrong earlier.

HildaW Thu 24-Apr-14 15:06:35

Oh how my husband roared at the improbably fast reloading of the flint locks......I half expected to see John Wayne behind one of the rocks....and No I did not watch it all - just flipped over when the adverts were on t'other side!

Grannyknot Thu 24-Apr-14 16:34:21

Hilda so did mine! I told him snippily "I'm certain the researchers at BBC wouldn't make such a mistake!" LOL.

apricot Thu 24-Apr-14 18:58:58

The appalling sound quality couldn't have been caused by televisions the size of a wall because mine is titchy. I've only owned a TV since Christmas and no way has it been worth the licence fee. I watch about 1 programme (but now they are called "shows") each week.
So goodbye, BBC and back to the radio, which is well worth £12 per month.