Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Breaking Bad

(27 Posts)
suzied Tue 26-Aug-14 08:19:02

I see that Breaking Bad won loads of Emmys last night. my OH and I have been watching this recently ( on our months free Netflix trial! ) after my DCs have been raving about it. I am loving it so much I don't want it to end, but it's so gripping we have to keep watching . I love the fact that each episode is only 45 mins, so you can watch 2 ( or even 3 ) back-to-back, and theres time in between to recover make a cuppa or whatever. I love the way each episode doesn't begin , like many series, with a long reprise of the previous episode, but gives a bit of a mysterious glimpse of something you haven't seen before and you think "whaaaaat...?" I also love or hate all the characters and all the twists and turns. My OH and I don't usually like the same tv programmes, but this has been one we both make time to sit and watch together. Anyone else love it? Please don't tell me what happens though!

whenim64 Tue 26-Aug-14 08:26:18

My family are all Breaking Bad fans but I haven't seen a single episode. There are large hints being dropped, so I won't be surprised if a boxed set appears for me to watch at some point. I'm starting to get curious now grin

Grannyknot Tue 26-Aug-14 08:42:30

Hi suzie we've watched most of it. Great series, we took a break after Series 4 and just watching the last few episodes now.

It is an interesting one because it does have elements that appeal to most people - like you, it was one I could watch with my husband (albeit me often through my fingers). There are lots of great characters, my favourites are Walter Junior and Hank - whoever thought I'd be sweet on a DEA officer? smile

Can't stand Walt, can't stand Skyler angry Jessie ... hmm.

I walked past a boutique the other day and in the window was a plain tote bag with the logo and "Breaking Bag" grin.

I hope you've watched The Wire.

Iam64 Tue 26-Aug-14 08:48:55

Are we related wheni'm? It's the same in my family, all the younger generation are Breaking Bad fans, and I'm being told it's the best box set around. As we've worked our way through The Bridge, The Killing and every episode of The West Wing, we need something to watch now the nights are beginning to draw in. Incidentally, as so many of us predicted, there are now hundreds of tv channels, but rarely anything we want to watch grin

Agus Tue 26-Aug-14 08:50:37

DH raved about Breaking Bad, wishes he hadn't seen it and could watch it again smile I won't tell you what the ending is as I haven't caught up and DH won't tell me!

Another one we enjoyed was Dexter

Grannyknot Tue 26-Aug-14 09:00:31

agus he could watch it again ...? smile I often find that things are so layered that you pick up more watching second time round.

I cheat and read the "Episode Guides" (mostly "in arrears" to remind myself); don't know what I'd do without them with some of the convoluted plots.

Agus Tue 26-Aug-14 09:37:43

So true Gknot. Also, given that our memories are not so sharp, could be in a couple of years we sit down to watch it again as we will have forgotten quite a bit smile

Same with us Iam '47 channels and nothing on' although now there are a lot more than 47, not many of them are worth watching.

henetha Tue 26-Aug-14 10:12:14

My son got me into Breaking Bad and I absolutely adored it. Sadly, finished watching it now and just longing for them to make at least ten more series. So glad they won all those Emmy's yesterday; well deserved.
My son bought me a Heisenberg t-shirt which I wear with pride!

I'm now watching Homeland which is also excellent.

whenim64 Tue 26-Aug-14 10:15:55

I take my family's enthusiasms with a pinch of salt, though, Iam as they also enthuse about The Inbetweeners and various series that don't chime with me at all. I still see my lot as the Friends generation - they all got so wrapped up in it and years later I started watching - loved every programme.

vegasmags Tue 26-Aug-14 10:25:28

I was absolutely hooked on Breaking Bad - I was devastated when it finished. I subscribe to Netflix, and feel it represents good value for me. I've loved House of Cards with Kevin Spacey and Orange is the New Black. In common with many others, I find I prefer to watch episodes back to back, rather than in a weekly dose. I watched the 2nd series of House of Cards over a weekend as soon as it was released and was highly amused that Barack Obama tweeted 'No spoilers, please' so he is obviously another fan.

henetha Tue 26-Aug-14 10:32:40

I'm into House of Cards too. Isn't Kevin Spacey mesmerising.
But though I love it, nothing compares to Breaking Bad.

Grannyknot Tue 26-Aug-14 10:54:17

henetha a man behind me at a supermarket till had a "Better call Saul" T-shirt with a phone number and "Saul Goodman, Attorney at Law" beneath it [smile

You know Saul has a spin off series ... I think will be released next year.

www.imdb.com/title/tt3032476/

We always liked Bryan Cranstoun as an actor. So I am glad he had got this recognition. He is a tireless charity worker too, and I see that **Aaron Paul's wife's charity website crashed after the appeal he made last night in his acceptance speech.

**I've won the DVD of his new movie from Gransnet smile Don't think it got very good reviews though ...

suzied Tue 26-Aug-14 11:14:08

I love Jesse, Walter Junior and even Walter, But as for Hank , Skyler and Marie noooo. Saul is hilarious, but a spinoff series won't match this one. We haven't seen the Wire,House of Cards or Orange is the New Black, so we will have plenty to watch when this has finished, but I am going to miss BB. May have to get the T Shirt or Tote Bag.

sunseeker Tue 26-Aug-14 11:15:14

I have been dithering about whether to watch this or not - after all the glowing recommendations on here I will go out and buy the box set of season one today!

WBundecided Tue 26-Aug-14 11:47:16

Fantastic series, our son got us binto it, and we too used to sit and watch two or three episodes back to back. I loved Walter, Jesse and Saul, got irritated by Skyler. Great writing. Also watched House of Cards as I love Kevin Spacey. Our son has a great t shirt, with 'White and Pinkman Pharamceuticals' on the front in small, business like print. I loved Saul, but not sure if a whole series can be carried by his character, will wait and see. I am seriously considering watching BB again in the autumn, it was a while ago that we watched it, and as has been said, you can sometimes see things the second time that were missed in the whirlwind of the plot first time around.

TerriBull Tue 26-Aug-14 12:45:27

My son gave us several dvds of Breaking Bad last Christmas, have watched a few of them but it hasn't really grabbed me, my husband likes what he has seen so far. Our son thinks it's the best tv show ever, he and his mates had a Breaking Bad party after the last episode was screened they were so bereft. He has now moved on to House of Cards. I am told by a friend to stick with BB because it's worthwhile, so perhaps I will.

Have also recently got the much lauded True Detective out on rental, so far have seen 3 episodes and again it isn't really doing it for me, I really could do with sub titles due to a lot of deep south mumbling. Another hyped American series I also haven't enjoyed is The Wire, so must be me, because all these shows are greatly acclaimed.

I have loved Mad Men though.

grannyactivist Tue 26-Aug-14 13:23:37

Having seen endless glowing reviews I bought the Breaking Bad boxset for my husband. It got off to a slow start and I wondered if I'd made a mistake, but we soon became immersed in the lives of the characters and eventually became completely hooked. Our son, on the other hand, never got past the first few episodes.

Grannyknot Tue 26-Aug-14 14:44:46

terribull re True Detectives - that's why you need the episode guides! smile

Also re BB when I was looking for episode guides I came across whole forums discussing Skyler's fluctuating weight! And it sure does yo-yo throughout the entire series.

henetha Tue 26-Aug-14 14:55:25

I did wonder if the actress who plays Skylar was pregnant at some point during filming. Her up and down weight became fascinating!
Thanks Grannyknot... I'm looking forward to the Saul spin off series.
Especially as Walter and Jesse are rumoured to be making guest appearances.
I'd love the Saul t-shirt, to wear alternately to my Heisenberg one!

suzied Tue 26-Aug-14 15:45:08

I agree, at the beginning you wonder if it really is anything special, then I really got hooked at the end of series 2. The last episode in that series was jaw dropping. The acting is really brilliant.

susieb755 Tue 26-Aug-14 19:08:27

I loved it the acting was fantastic, and it is so clever how your attitude to Walt changes
Funny , Sad and Gripping

Cannot wait for call saul spin off

Flowerofthewest Wed 27-Aug-14 23:42:53

Have netflix, may look into it. thanks for info.

janthea Thu 28-Aug-14 15:36:32

I bought the box set of Breaking Bad after hearing so much about it. Haven't started it yet. I did the same with Game of Thrones and am watching the first series and am completely hooked.

cassgran Thu 28-Aug-14 17:11:36

We've watched the entire series at our children's recommendation. OMG it was so brilliant with such clever twists and turns and characters. I'm sure you get addicted it to it in the same way as the crystal meth addicts do! We were also the first in the family to watch The Wire, which I think is still my favourite. If you're enjoying BB try to catch True Detective with Matthew McConaghey and Woody Harrelson.

jamsidedown Mon 01-Sep-14 23:29:54

Hi, newbie here
Breaking Bad is brilliant, what a roller coaster the final series has been. Emotionally draining, we have one last episode to go on DVD. I feel I can't bear to watch it. Anyone, everyone, you should watch this series!

As no Sky, I have also bought on eBay True Detective, House of Cards, Mad Men 6 to follow on. These American series are brilliant. Tempted by Orange is the New Black - is it on a par?