Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Any Questions

(30 Posts)
NanKate Fri 29-Aug-14 20:58:10

I have just been listening to Any Questions. It was presented by Ritula Shah who let the panel speak, did not interrupt, on occasions summed up or made a relevant comment - what bliss.

I dread Jonathan Dimbleby returning next week. He tries to take over and doesn't let the discussions run naturally. I have had had enough of him, but I suspect he is too influential to get rid of.

Who annoys you ?

rosequartz Fri 29-Aug-14 21:08:11

His brother.

rosequartz Fri 29-Aug-14 21:21:46

I should add, only on Question Time. Other programmes that DD has made have been very enjoyable.

Deedaa Fri 29-Aug-14 21:24:12

The thing that has always irritated me about David Dimbleby on Question Time is the way he always talks about The Woman there or The Man there. I don't want to come over all Hyacinth Bucket, but I think it would sound better if he talked about The Lady in green or The Gentleman in the striped shirt or whatever.

rosequartz Fri 29-Aug-14 21:40:03

He could be in trouble with some women or men who object to that as well, Deedaa - didn't someone post that once, that they objected to women being referred to as 'ladies'? grin
In that he can't win.

I can't stand the way he constantly interrupts some panel members and belittles them but lets other rant on for ever and lets some interrupt others when they are trying to speak.
Not that he is partisan or anything.

Deedaa Sat 30-Aug-14 22:27:33

Well a friend of mine had a formal complaint made about her because she called a middle aged man "Young Man" ! I suppose he would have preferred if we'd all called him "You miserable old b****r" which was what we all thought grin

Aka Sat 30-Aug-14 22:58:29

Oh dear Deedaa I've just told a youngish male shop assistant off for calling me 'young lady' .. I actually thought it was smarmy and puerile. He does this often and today I'd just had enough.

I can't stand Jeremy Vine as he's always cutting people off in mid speech or trying to put words into their mouths.

GrannyTwice Sat 30-Aug-14 23:04:51

When I bought my first iPhone 4/5 years ago, I was very excited and enthusiastic as the 12 year old the young man who served me went through the tutorial. As I left he said that he was really good to see an old person so into new technology shock

GrannyTwice Sat 30-Aug-14 23:07:13

Out for lunch a few months ago with two friends of similar age. Waiter comes up and says what can I get you girls and we just laughed and said in unison 'you should have gone to specsavers' - we thought we were very witty!

papaoscar Sun 31-Aug-14 10:56:21

Returning from our ramblings,*NanKate*, I wish we could fire David Dimbleby as far away from Question Time, or in fact any media involvement, as possible. He is way past his sell-by date and like the mouldy old bits found now and then at the bottom of the freezer he should be quietly ushered towards the BBC dustbin. Others do his job much better and I'm sure that his old Dad would be embarrassed at little David's decline into mediocrity. So, on yer bike, Dave!

GrannyTwice Sun 31-Aug-14 11:39:19

I was listening to R4 yesterday morning and there was the next generation (Henry I think) taking part in a programme about food ( with Jay Rayner - as in my mum was Clare) that was so basic I wanted to weep. Discussion about gooseberries - did you know they go well with mackerel? Gosh no I didn't thanks for telling me , now how do I suck this egg?

Ana Sun 31-Aug-14 11:49:54

I didn't know that gooseberries went well with mackerel.

Just saying.

GrannyTwice Sun 31-Aug-14 11:54:07

Well there you go, you've learned something! My favourite use for gooseberries though has to be gooseberry and elderflower fool....

Ana Sun 31-Aug-14 12:06:15

Oh yes, you can't beat a nice, tart fool...

GrannyTwice Sun 31-Aug-14 12:16:11

Well you should know that Ana - was that necessary?

papaoscar Sun 31-Aug-14 12:19:04

Beating a foolish tart, Ana? I think we'd better draw a veil over this!

Aka Sun 31-Aug-14 12:22:13

grin

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 12:32:50

wink

Ana Sun 31-Aug-14 12:33:39

Was your comment necessary, G2? Or was I meant to retire, hurt...confused

Nonu Sun 31-Aug-14 12:40:51

wink

NanKate Sun 31-Aug-14 16:21:59

PapaO I do agree about the Dimleby Bros, they can't need the money. Why do some people hang on too long ?

I am happy to say there are some excellent presenters who are years younger. We get our TV news from BBC in London, don't know if there is still such a thing as Thames TV, but you know what I mean. One of their best young presenters is called Riz Latiff, she let's people speak, keeps them on track and is always pleasant. She even speaks clearly so a doddery old soul like me (only 67 really) can hear.

I am interested in films and Mark Kermode is very good.

Evan Davis is good but he is on slight overkill. Also they say he has either a tattoo or a piercing in an intimate area and that puts me off him no end. grin

rosequartz Sun 31-Aug-14 21:48:25

Nepotism is alive and well at the BBC.

Henry Dimblebum Dimbleby also advised the government on school dinners I believe.

Eloethan Sun 31-Aug-14 23:23:59

I'm obviously in a minority here, but I really like David Dimbleby, though I do think Question Time isn't as lively as it used to be.

I personally feel that referring to someone as "that woman" or "that man" sounds a bit rude. I would usually say "lady" or "gentleman". However, I think some people see it as a bit obsequious, so it's a bit of a minefield.

I don't like being addressed as or referred to as "young lady", particularly by a younger person. It may not be intended but it comes across as cheeky and patronising.

NanKate Mon 01-Sep-14 06:58:24

I like it in Costa when they refer to me as Madam, but I like old fashioned courtesy.

GrannyTwice Mon 01-Sep-14 07:56:04

Papa - can you explain your comment? I'm surprised at you - the comments from the others are par for the course but I didn't know you'd joined the gang! I was just making some lighthearted observations and then look what happened.