Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Cancelling BBC 4?

(44 Posts)
Lilygran Thu 27-Nov-14 11:41:30

I heard this morning that the BBC is planning to cancel BBC 3 and BBC 4. I shall be very sorry if they get rid of 4. Am I the only one?

whitewave Thu 27-Nov-14 11:51:16

Blimey NO!! I can't believe that - what is happening everywhere?

feetlebaum Thu 27-Nov-14 11:52:27

No - it's the nearest thing to a decent channel they have these days.

If there's one thing the BBC does well it's bugger up their services.

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 12:08:35

I dont even know what is on them, so I dont think I would miss them.
What do you watch on them?

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 12:09:10

or are they radio channels? blush

merlotgran Thu 27-Nov-14 12:11:14

BBC4 is the only thing worth watching on a Saturday night. We'll miss our 'singalongs' if they cancel the music documentaries and concerts.

Elegran Thu 27-Nov-14 12:24:21

Soontobe
This is what is on BBC3 today

This is what is on BBC4 today

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 12:36:01

I am a channel hopper, so hardly notice which programmes are on which channels.
I do watch Eastenders sometimes.
And I did happen to watch an episode of World's Craziest Fools.

Actually, I was thinking to watch the toff programme. I saw it advertised somewhere. But I dont buy the Radio Times or any other TV Guide, so I couldnt find the programme.

Having said all that though, wouldn't these programmes find their way onto other channels if BBC 3 and BBC4 got cut?

vampirequeen Thu 27-Nov-14 13:55:47

BBC 3 and BBC 4 tend to cater for a minority of viewers who prefer something extra to the continual diet of soaps, reality tv, quiz shows and other crap regular programming.

I will miss them.

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 14:04:48

I am mainly a crap regular programme watcher! smile

sunseeker Thu 27-Nov-14 14:36:54

I will miss these channels too.

absentgrandma Thu 27-Nov-14 14:48:00

BBC 3 is a bit 'juvenile' for me, but they have some good programmes for the age group they're aiming at. We watch BBC 4 + BBC2 a lot and I thank God for them. A blessed relief from the misery of soaps(aka... Eastenders) and the mindless drivel of reality progs (I'm a Celebrity..... Sorry never heard of you ) and the 'I don't mind looking like a complete arse as long as I get paid for it/get famous overnight' (Strictly, X Factor). Yeh, I know there are ITV offerings in the miix, but it just goes to show the way the Beeb has gone....at one time they were ahead of ITV in quality,now there's not a cigarette paper between them .

When the BBC manages to gain some ground and produce a good drama (like Rememeber Me) we are astounded and applaud them... but for God's sake, this type of quality production was the norm a decade ago.

It seems the more channels we have at our disposal the more garbage there is out there

If the Beeb does away with BBC4 and continues down the path of catering for morons I think I'll leave them to their downward slide and give up the telly all together.

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 15:20:54

My guess is that younger people dont want drama.

vampirequeen Thu 27-Nov-14 15:46:44

The BBC mission statement includes:

"To enrich people's lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain."

and

"To be the most creative organisation in the world."

Chasing audiences does not necessarily fulfill this statements.

soontobe Thu 27-Nov-14 15:51:17

You are right, it doesnt.
They seem to have lost their way a bit.
Perhaps they have less income now?

Tegan Thu 27-Nov-14 15:55:54

I only tend to watch BBC4. Don't know what I'd do without it sad. May have to do some sort of protest and chain myself to some railings somewhere.

Lona Thu 27-Nov-14 16:02:03

What will they do with the Proms? shock

NfkDumpling Thu 27-Nov-14 16:06:49

Perhaps they'll go back to putting soaps, quiz shows and reality stuff on One and the drama, history and more high brow stuff on Two. Just like in the old days.

NfkDumpling Thu 27-Nov-14 16:08:29

Weren't the proms on Two?

whitewave Thu 27-Nov-14 16:13:47

BBC 3 seems to be for the younger viewer and 4 has much more meat than the other channels. Won't be worth having a tv.

merlotgran Thu 27-Nov-14 16:17:06

Most of the Proms are on BBC4 but some of the concerts are on Two.

Lona Thu 27-Nov-14 16:19:57

I won't be able to get to sleep without watching Family Guy! blush

jennycockerspaniel Thu 27-Nov-14 16:50:18

yes I like BBC 4 and bbc3

durhamjen Thu 27-Nov-14 17:25:34

They are not getting rid of BBC4 yet. They just cannot guarantee it beyond 2016-17. We'll just have to watch it more to keep it going.

Ariadne Thu 27-Nov-14 17:30:53

Oh, thanks, jen! To what would we be reduced without it?

soontobe there are several really good channel guide aps, and most are free!