Gransnet forums

Petticoats - still wear them?
"Is he single?" - discreet enquiries?
Complaints - last time it paid off?

Broadchurch - now that's more like a drama

(221 Posts)
facebook button twitter button email this page print this page
Mishap Mon 04-Mar-13 22:03:02

Just finished watching episode one. Excellent acting - characters rather then caricatures. Definitely more like it than Mayday. Shaping up to be a very good drama.

Ana Mon 04-Mar-13 22:04:59

Hear, hear Mishap - intriguing and engrossing.

Gorki Mon 04-Mar-13 22:07:59

Agreed !Thoroughly enjoyed it.I became totally engrossed .Can't wait for the next episode.

Mishap Mon 04-Mar-13 22:08:58

It also had some subtlety - the morgue scene was handled well and tastefully.

It is good to see some real acting. The little boy Tom at the end was excellent.

whenim64 Mon 04-Mar-13 22:30:28

It's got the makings of a great drama serial. Really interesting.

vegasmags Mon 04-Mar-13 22:38:33

I watched it and I'll stick with it, although it all seemed very British - I think I have been watching too much Nordic noir!

Ana Mon 04-Mar-13 22:54:51

Ooh! Too British! grin

phoenix Mon 04-Mar-13 23:08:29

I enjoyed it too, although was suddenyl struck by the though that the female detective bore more than a pssing resemblance to Frances De La Tour.

Ella46 Mon 04-Mar-13 23:10:26

Or even a 'passing' resemblance! grin

phoenix Mon 04-Mar-13 23:13:04

Ooops!

merlotgran Mon 04-Mar-13 23:17:45

Excellent! Looking forward to next week's ep.

gillybob Mon 04-Mar-13 23:28:46

8 weeks though????? I can't understand why they are stringing it out over 8 weeks. No doubt by week 6 every episode will be half taken up with the catch up of the pervious episodes. hmm

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-13 00:01:04

Good drama, well acted, but agree that 8 weeks does require some commitment!

annodomini Tue 05-Mar-13 00:09:51

I've set my box to record all episodes. Anything with David Tennant in it has a head start as far as I'm concerned.

Grannyeggs Tue 05-Mar-13 10:37:34

Good stuff great acting, lots of believable characters, enough skeletons in cupboards to keep you wondering. I shall definitely stick to it.

Maniac Tue 05-Mar-13 12:26:08

and much of the filming was at Clevedon-about 7 miles from here on coast of N.Somerset

soop Tue 05-Mar-13 12:57:02

...I agree, Mishap The first episode was deserving of the title - drama

sunflowersuffolk Tue 05-Mar-13 19:27:42

Really enjoyed it too. Beautiful scenery. During adverts I flicked over to Mayday, but still not grabbing me, so I haven't bothered to record it.

BAnanas Tue 05-Mar-13 20:46:08

I enjoyed this very much a promising start Olivia Coleman and David Tennant make a very good pairing. Have watched Mayday twice now, find it quite irritating, even though it has Lesley Manville in it who I think is a very good actress. Might stick with it a bit longer though as I have only just found out that it's filmed in and around Dorking which is fairly nearby so want to see if I can recognise anywhere even though the story isn't grabbing me. The Killing was spun out over quite a number of weeks if I remember correctly and that didn't seem too long.

Forzanonna Tue 05-Mar-13 20:53:25

Enjoyed this much more than Mayday.

Elijay Tue 05-Mar-13 20:59:23

Gosh I didn't realise that Pauline Quirke was in it.

Lots of possible suspect, lots of other things going on. The review on Digital Spy is really worth reading

grumppa Tue 12-Mar-13 13:10:56

Not sure if I can stand six more episodes of David Tennant's character, and the obvious dropping of clues, but it's still a good serial.

I shall persevere!

annodomini Tue 12-Mar-13 14:14:46

It's certainly something to look forward to on a Monday night. I've a feeling I'm going to miss it when it ends!

whenim64 Tue 12-Mar-13 14:40:37

That review was helpful. Thanks. I thought I hadn't grasped everything as there's so much going on, but I think I'm up to speed. If only we could have drama series like this very night of the week!

JammieB Tue 12-Mar-13 15:03:03

Loving it!!

Grannybug Tue 12-Mar-13 15:56:47

Shaping up nicely

Marelli Tue 12-Mar-13 16:04:42

Really enjoying this. Gave up on Mayday after the first episode.

JoanJett Tue 12-Mar-13 17:11:17

I do like it but something's niggling me. Am I being picky but I thought you couldn't have a paper round until you were 13.

annodomini Tue 12-Mar-13 18:37:31

That was certainly the case, JoanJett, when my DS did a paper round - he was desperate to be 13. Same with my GD, only 8 years ago.

gracesmum Tue 12-Mar-13 18:45:23

Caught up with this on the laptop today (both episodes) and loving it! So many people with something to hide, talk about hornets' nest! David Tennant being mean and moody - and with his own baggage - lots to titillate us over the next few weeks!

Grannyeggs Tue 12-Mar-13 18:53:13

I. Love it but a. Week between episodes is trying my patience, I really want to know what they will find next.love David Tennant .

phoenix Tue 12-Mar-13 19:57:37

Thoroughly enjoying it! Almost OTT in that everyone seems to have a secret, but none the worse for that.

I too wish it was less than a week between episodes.

And what was that skateboard doing in the cupboard of Pauline Quirkes caravan? And is the baby the mother is expecting her husbands? And where was he really when he said he was were he wasn't? And what about the fingerprint match in the beach hut? Will the David Tennant character get back in touch with the psychic telephone engineer???????????????

Ana Tue 12-Mar-13 19:59:41

All these questions, and more, will probably not be answered in next week's episode of.....grin

BAnanas Wed 13-Mar-13 13:37:20

I'm really hooked on this, it's a long time since I have felt this way about a home grown series There have been so many disappointments lately where one episode has been truly enough, Mayday, Ripper Street that Mr Selfridge thing, I haven't stuck with any of them. They all seem mediocre compared to Borgen and The Killing etc. Glad to think a British made drama can still crank up the tension, looking forward to Monday's episode now.

gillybob Wed 13-Mar-13 13:42:32

Has anyone got any early ideas on whodunnit? Obviously it is cleverly written so that anyone could be the murderer but just wondered if anyone fancied a wager just for fun?

I know its not the Pauline Quirke character (with the skateboard in the closet) that is just too obvious, or is it? hmm

Mishap Wed 13-Mar-13 13:53:26

I think that the postie is the father of Beth Latimer's baby, and that the row between him and Danny was because Danny had seen them together. We wait and see!!

Gorki Wed 13-Mar-13 14:11:41

Oh! That's a good one ,Mishap.I hadn't thought of that !

Ana Wed 13-Mar-13 14:14:12

Oh no! I'll have to stop reading this thread if everyone's going to start guessing and giving away things I might have missed...confused

gillybob Wed 13-Mar-13 14:23:52

Well Mishap you really threw me with that one. That's brilliant. Have you by any chance "read the book"? grin

Mishap Wed 13-Mar-13 15:41:32

Pure guesswork - do I get some sort of GN Award if it turns out to be right?!

grumppa Wed 13-Mar-13 15:55:23

I'm convinced the murderer is the Detective Inspector. He obviously made a hash of his last child murder investigation, and has hatched a cunning plan which involves him murdering the Latimer boy and pinning the blame on someone else (the Detective Sergeant?) to show that he's good at his job.

whenim64 Wed 13-Mar-13 16:16:13

ggrumpa what a devious mind you have.....or do you? hmm

gillybob Wed 13-Mar-13 23:19:41

No way grumppa I think,Mishaps theory is the best one so far.

There probably won't be an award as such Mishap but image how impressed we will all be, surely that is reward enough.smile

annodomini Wed 13-Mar-13 23:31:40

Is Mishap secretly the scriptwriter?

Mishap Tue 19-Mar-13 13:51:52

Interesting episode last night. Naughty Mark!

Who is lying about the plumbing job at the holiday cottage? - Mark or the Pauline Quirke character (who has a skateboard in her cupboard - ?is it Danny's)?

What does Danny's little friend know that he isn't saying?

Where do the drugs come in?

It's a long time till next Monday!

whenim64 Tue 19-Mar-13 14:04:04

I can't resist looking at this thread. You'll have to talk in code, if you work out who it is, Mishap! grin I want to work it out and have the smug satisfaction of knowing whodunnit before anyone else! grin

BAnanas Tue 19-Mar-13 14:48:08

Watched it last night, still draws the viewer in, some dramas can go off the boil after a few episodes.

LullyDully Tue 19-Mar-13 14:56:43

but why did they burn the boat???

bluebell Tue 19-Mar-13 15:19:28

I'm really disappointed with the woman detective - she's portrayed as quite wimpy and unprofessional

merlotgran Tue 19-Mar-13 15:41:10

And what about the woman detective's husband? He's getting a bit more of a look in now and the weirdo psychic bloke told the grieving mother that the murderer was someone she knew. hmm

Marelli Tue 19-Mar-13 17:00:05

I think it was the woman detective's husband wot dunnit! smile

whenim64 Tue 19-Mar-13 17:28:34

Oy!! Marelli! Put a warning first before you blow it wide open, will you?? grin

Now I'm going to have to try and forget I read that! grin

Mishap Tue 19-Mar-13 17:28:38

Motive? - getting his son mixed up in drugs?

Ana Tue 19-Mar-13 17:30:52

Stop it!

Perhaps we should have a separate Whodunnit Theories thread! grin

whenim64 Tue 19-Mar-13 17:31:17

....fingers in ears and over eyes.... La La La....I'm not reading this!!! grin

whenim64 Tue 19-Mar-13 17:32:41

If there is a separate whodunnit thread, do me a favour and password it!!!

Ella46 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:12:18

I think it's the grumpy old newsagent who done it! He's always a baddy in these dramas wink

I'm also getting fed up with David T gazing moodily out to sea every five minutes. hmm

Orca Tue 19-Mar-13 19:18:07

It's the plumber's mate what did it!

Ella agree, fed up with the moody gazing from DT. Too much stubble as well.

Ella46 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:21:01

I liked the plumber's mate wink....and not as the villain!

Orca Tue 19-Mar-13 19:24:29

Time will tell........wink

Lilygran Tue 19-Mar-13 19:29:05

Pauline Quirke. Otherwise, what is she doing there?

Marelli Tue 19-Mar-13 19:30:10

grin - sorry, when! Anyway, who was that man that was talking to DT in the bus shelter thing? I must have been looking at GN when the scene started confused.

Ana Tue 19-Mar-13 19:33:05

One of his old cronies from his last posting, I thought.....

Marelli Tue 19-Mar-13 19:58:16

Aah - maybe, Ana.

Mishap Tue 19-Mar-13 20:08:01

He was a doctor Ithtink??

Ana Tue 19-Mar-13 20:20:51

Was he? Perhaps I got that wrong and he was DT's psychiatrist....confused

Forzanonna Tue 19-Mar-13 20:51:41

Yes I thought he was a doctor and there's something very wrong with DT sad. i think Pauline Quirk has something to do with it - didn't we see a rucksack or something in her caravan?

Grannyeggs Tue 19-Mar-13 21:00:13

I think we saw the missing skate board of the dead boy last week in her houseForzananna I think there are a lot of clues and red herrings, I am confused but am thoroughly enjoying it.

Ana Tue 19-Mar-13 21:07:15

Forzanonna you've just jogged my memory - yes of course, DT has a serious condition....

grumppa Wed 20-Mar-13 10:28:15

I agree that DT has a serious condition, Ana. It's called mumbling, especially to his psychiatrist (?).

Having suggested earlier that the DT character is the murderer, I am now keen that he should himself be bumped off as soon as possible in the next episode, as nobody as continuously and consistently rude could ever have become a DI, and he is a pain to watch. With luck, the DS will poison him when he comes to dinner.

Ana Wed 20-Mar-13 10:30:05

grin grumppa

Ella46 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:43:05

I can't keep up with all these red herrings!

Ella46 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:44:41

Told you that the newsagent was a bad bad man! wink

whenim64 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:53:42

I'm not looking. I'm going to watch it on ITV+1 shortly - just watching the documentary about Boris grin

grumppa Mon 25-Mar-13 22:42:05

Worst episode yet. Tennant's character is clearly not fit to detect and should be relieved of all responsibilities before he kills someone.

grumppa Mon 25-Mar-13 22:43:21

I could have said he'd lost the plot, but that would be excusable.

gracesmum Mon 25-Mar-13 22:43:29

Is there a single character who is not the potential suspect? It seems they all have something to hide, but rather like the other chap in the removal company in The Killing I, my money is currently on the plumber's mate. I mean who serves rosemary with beef??shock

Ana Mon 25-Mar-13 22:46:23

Is DT's accent getting more indecipherable week by week or is my hearing going? Never mind the plot, I couldn't tell what he was saying half the time...hmm

bluebell Mon 25-Mar-13 23:05:17

Ana I had to put the subtitles on this evening

Nelliemoser Mon 25-Mar-13 23:10:36

Its not us going deaf! Its the Bloody "background" music they play over the dialogue. It drives me mad!

I do not know why they do it but it happens more and more these days! angry

Ella46 Mon 25-Mar-13 23:29:58

I think it's the vicar! Or maybe the husband of the woman detective, I don't even know her name!

I feel boredom creeping over me.....grin

phoenix Mon 25-Mar-13 23:34:59

Who wants a bet that the newsagent get beaten up or his shop gets vandalised?

graces Totally with you re rosemary with beef, but surely that's more of a reason for someone to be bumped off rather than have done the bumping?

Mishap Tue 26-Mar-13 12:26:10

I too had trouble with hearing the dialogue last night - we kept saying to each other "What did he/she say?" - let us hope we did not miss a vital clue.

It seems to be wide open at the moment - could be anybody - maybe Mum??!!

Ana Tue 26-Mar-13 12:28:27

One thing's for sure - the Pauline Quirke character is a nasty piece of work|! shock

HappyNanna Tue 26-Mar-13 17:07:59

I am enjoying Broadchurch and haven't a clue who's done it (yet!) - there's lots of red herrings I think. However, it's really slow moving. Am finding the vicar really creepy. Pauline Quirk excellent as usual.

LullyDully Tue 26-Mar-13 18:47:01

Think its good but I think they could make an omnibus and cut some of it . It did go on a bit last night.. 4/6 episodes perhaps without loosing any of the tension.

merlotgran Tue 26-Mar-13 20:47:13

I've just watched it Don iPlayer as we were out last night. DH is watching the footie but I don't think he'll find it hard to catch up next week. I like the fact that it's slow moving and my money's still on the woman detective's husband.

annemac101 Tue 26-Mar-13 23:03:10

Why do they put music over dialogue? Yes DT's accent is getting broader each week,Im from Glasgow and I can't understand him. Did Pauline Quirk's character whisper to newspaper woman," I could get a man to rape you" ? I rewound it twice and still wasn't sure. I think more than one was involved.

Mishap Wed 27-Mar-13 10:33:42

Yes - I could not understand what the PQ character said to the editor. Perhaps I'll try a rewind on iplayer.

Ana Wed 27-Mar-13 10:35:46

I heard it as "I know men who would rape you". It sent a shiver down my spine!

Marelli Wed 27-Mar-13 11:01:59

Very menacing, that bit, Ana and annemac101! And although the episode tended to 'drift' rather, it ended on a nasty note.

shysal Wed 27-Mar-13 11:02:21

Yes, that was it ana, I had to use subtitles. Another possible culprit is the husband of the woman detective, to protect their son who had got mixed up in something illegal, but it could also be any of the above guesses!

sunflowersuffolk Mon 01-Apr-13 18:39:00

Oh.... nearly forgot it's on tonight, was thinking it's Sunday. Really enjoying it.

grumppa Mon 01-Apr-13 22:03:34

Looked in vain for "Sponsored by Hacked Off" in the credits.

At last the body count is starting to mount. By the final episode only the Chief Superintendent will be left as a suspect.

Ana Mon 01-Apr-13 22:06:39

Don't be daft, grumppa - it's not a body-count-rising type of drama! I reckon poor old Jack was driven to suicide.

grumppa Mon 01-Apr-13 22:33:50

Of course he was driven to suicide, but however he died it makes for one suspect the less.

Of course I'm being daft. Am I required to take it seriously?

Ana Mon 01-Apr-13 22:40:01

Of course! smile

Ella46 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:47:17

I'm beginning to wonder why DT is in it at all? Can't understand him and he doesn't seem to do much hmm
I think it needs to speed up or I'm offski grin

dorsetpennt Tue 02-Apr-13 09:01:45

Too many red herrings, too dragged out and that is not a Dorset accent, no one has said 'where's that to ?' for example. Which is pure Dorset. Someone said holidaymakers - it's grockles!!!

GrandmaH Tue 02-Apr-13 13:44:34

I got The Killing the first week but I did enjoy the way they gave you a suspect- built them up as guilty & then showed they were innocent- which is what Broadchurch does.
Haven't got it yet although I did wonder at the start about the plumber's mate- probably too obvious.
I expect Pauline Quirk will be shown as innocent next week.
It will probaly be the policeman who asked Olivia Colman out last night.

I haven't even noticed the music- what music??

LullyDully Tue 02-Apr-13 13:56:32

Or the journalist! Or the children whose game went wrong and they had to cover it up. The little boy knows something. Going away soon, wish they'd get on with it!

goldengirl Tue 02-Apr-13 16:40:48

I'm enjoying it but it is dreadfully slooooow - or is it because we watch too many US dramas [I don't actually, but I do channel hop a fair bit on occasion]. So, the newsagent is not the murderer. I guessed that from Day 1 - too obvious. What a sad little tale his story was. I wonder what the relationship is between the PQ character and the plumber's mate. 'Ellie's' son is definitely hiding something and then there's all this fuss about mobile phones and boats now. I must say I found last night's episode with the crowd baying for the newsagent's blood scary - too realistic. It's just what people do even though they don't have any proper evidence.

I watched the end of Jonathan Creek afterwards and found that very contrived...

Maniac Tue 02-Apr-13 17:21:06

I'm completely confused -and also have trouble hearing some of the dialogue and with the background music .Might have to rerun all the episodes on Catch-up before the next episode -if I can rouse the enthusiasm!

LullyDully Tue 02-Apr-13 17:38:12

We put the subtitles on.

Grannyma Thu 04-Apr-13 16:46:20

I hope they don't wreck it by the villain being someone we don't know yet! The acting (and the writing) is great. Olivia Coleman gets more weary every episode.

GrannyHaggis Thu 04-Apr-13 17:49:41

Definitely a not to be missed programme on a Monday evening!
Even better if it's recorded and you can fast forward all the adverts!

eGJ Thu 04-Apr-13 18:49:38

It's just the length of time to do the ironing, so I record it and do what grannyhaggis does with the advertisements!

nonnanna Fri 05-Apr-13 06:41:36

Grannyma - I hadn't thought of that twist, that would be awful. I'm useless at staying awake for anything that starts at 9pm so have to keep up with it on the computer. Sadly, we don't have Catch-up TV. I do think that 8 weeks is a bit long though. I'm sure it will do absolute wonders for tourism in Dorset - links to the Venice in Peril blog on here.

gracesmum Mon 08-Apr-13 22:01:56

Things are hotting up! Don't want to be a spoiler, but shame about the labrador (I never liked that man) You knw it's good when you put your hands over your ears and shut your eyes!!!
What about David Tennant too? Can't wait for next week!!

Ana Mon 08-Apr-13 22:08:16

Yes, I thought it was a really good episode tonight - things are moving fast! That boy holds the key to the reason Danny was killed....

Ella46 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:15:57

Well, I couldn't understand half of what was said tonight, mainly by DT.
If it goes any slower it'll stop.

gracesmum Mon 08-Apr-13 22:16:43

Nooooo! Tonight got really exciting!!!

Ana Mon 08-Apr-13 22:23:52

Ella! Were you watching the same episode as the rest of us? grin

Mishap Mon 08-Apr-13 22:25:38

I find it hard to hear some of what is being said - so does OH. We keep turning it up.

I wonder if the vicar will find the deleted files. Nasty man who (spoiler coming) shot dog has always been a bit of a suspect.

I now have no clue at all whodunnit!

grumppa Mon 08-Apr-13 22:46:12

I'm with you, Ella. Morse would have solved it, audibly, in two hours.

Is it too much to hope that the David Tennant detective is dead? I know he was my original suspect, but his combination of unintelligibility with incompetence is becoming too much to bear.

annodomini Mon 08-Apr-13 23:46:57

Why did it take a journalist to suss out Susan Wright's history? Wouldn't the police have traced her straight away on the PNC? Anyway, she loved her dog so she can't be the killer.

Sel Tue 09-Apr-13 00:33:56

Ergo man who didn't love beautiful dog and shot it is the killer anno. Solved smile

sunflowersuffolk Tue 09-Apr-13 06:59:02

I love it this week - apart from the dog bit, turned over for a minute as can't watch that sad I agree, man who took the dog did it - must be a baddie.

Really... still don't know. Don't think it was the vicar now. Still wondering about Ellas' husband and why did her son say he hated Danny? Was he jealous of Dannys relationship with someone? Or was Danny forcing him to do something bad?

Ella46 Tue 09-Apr-13 08:58:23

sunflower grin I've often wondered about my husband too! grin

annodomini Tue 09-Apr-13 09:49:10

Isn't the man with the crossbow another red herring? Did he really shoot the dog? We didn't see the body, or at least I didn't.

Ana Tue 09-Apr-13 10:20:16

No, that's what I was thinking, anno. I don't think he shot the dog.

whenim64 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:28:37

I have started to suspect the mother! shut up when and keep watching! grin

Mishap Tue 09-Apr-13 10:35:09

The whole Susan Wright thing is weird - why did she give the skateboard to Tom, knowing that he was a policewoman's child and that the s**t would hit the fan?

I also wondered how the dog could be shot without making a helluva mess of the van - or even making a hole in it. Might raise a few eyebrows.

Grannyeggs Tue 09-Apr-13 10:40:02

I wonder about the Policewoman's husband, he didn't want his son to talk to the David Tennant character, also what is on that hard drive that the boy wants to destroy?

Sel Tue 09-Apr-13 10:52:33

Oh flipping heck Ana, I was convinced I'd solved it. Have to admit to closing my eyes at the dog moment and I didn't hear a whimper so maybe, maybe you're right confused There should be a sweepstake.

whenim64 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:57:48

Mishap is Susan/Pauline trying to drop a large hint by giving the son that skateboard?

sunflowersuffolk Tue 09-Apr-13 19:36:42

Ella grin re your husband!

merlotgran Tue 09-Apr-13 19:57:52

I've had my eye on the policewoman's husband since the beginning because I usually pick the 'person least likely to' and then hope my hunch develops. It could be anyone though. Even the bloke who committed suicide last week......Did he?

Ana Tue 09-Apr-13 20:00:53

And what about the postman, who was dropped casually into the conversation at one point last night....?

Sel Tue 09-Apr-13 22:55:36

merlotgran I do exactly the same (and it often works) then nod sagely at the end, trying not to look too superior. I often add 'I should have been a detective' grin

Nelliemoser Tue 09-Apr-13 23:19:08

I have just watched the recording of last nights. I have not seen anything as good as this for years. What are we going to do when it ends!

sunflowersuffolk Wed 10-Apr-13 06:23:20

We'll be lost Nellie! I hate it when something good ends.

Ella46 Wed 10-Apr-13 07:52:36

I must admit that I do like the part the policewoman plays, asking for more money to pay for the round of drinks, and being a bit tactless sometimes. I like her.

Oh no.....you don't think it was her do you? shock grin

LullyDully Mon 15-Apr-13 17:16:42

Won't see this tonight as we are away, so will use catch up at the weekend.

So what's going to happen? all seems to hang on the children!!!!

Ella46 Mon 15-Apr-13 17:18:40

Don't worry Lully we won't be any wiser after tonight grin

Forzanonna Mon 15-Apr-13 17:32:30

this one is going down to the wire - is tonight the last one or is there another? I haven't a clue - could be anyone - except DT.

annodomini Mon 15-Apr-13 17:48:51

I think this is the seventh episode out of eight.

Forzanonna Mon 15-Apr-13 22:01:15

Well thank heavens there's one still to come - I'm no further forward!! confused

Ella46 Mon 15-Apr-13 22:08:42

I enjoyed this weeks episode, but I still don't know who dunnit if it isn't 'Nige' hmm

merlotgran Mon 15-Apr-13 22:22:44

I didn't quite follow the bombshell that Danny's sister's boyfriend dropped. Oh well. It will all come out in the wash.

Any chance the dog did it? hmm

Ella46 Mon 15-Apr-13 22:48:38

merlot, sister's boyfriend, Danny and Nigel, had all been going out at night looking for animals (to shoot?)....I think hmm

That dog looks guilty as hell! grin

Gally Mon 15-Apr-13 23:25:49

Well, I am totally confused as I have missed all the previous episodes and only saw the last 20 minutes of this evening's, but it looked pretty good. Hopefully it will be repeated and I can find out what it's all about grin

annodomini Tue 16-Apr-13 09:03:18

Told you Nige didn't shoot the dog! We know more or less who didn't do it. but I'm still in the dark about who did. confused

Ella46 Tue 16-Apr-13 09:21:24

Maybe it's that newspaper woman, trying to boost her reputation! hmm

whenim64 Tue 16-Apr-13 09:39:36

I'm still ruminating over the boy's mother, and her ambivalence about her pregnancy. The policewoman's husband has been ignoring her requests to get the decorating done. Has he been busy elsewhere, and is this why the two boys fell out? Hmm hmm

Grannyeggs Tue 16-Apr-13 10:03:03

I am now totally confused as how this all going to be tied up.The bald bloke who didn't shoot the dog, did he put the body on the beach for someone else? What was on that computer? Did Tom accidentally kill Danny and Nigel got rid of the body? Almost anything can happen, but I think the vicar is dodgy and the Policewoman's husband a possible suspect.I don't know what I'm going to do when this is over, there should be more dramas like this on television, I've loved it.

Ella46 Tue 16-Apr-13 10:15:14

when I like your thinking, that hadn't occurred to me hmm

NannaB Tue 16-Apr-13 12:47:12

I said to my hubby earlier that I think it could be the police woman's husband. Now the Daily Telegraph think so too and some of its readers. I won't be able to watch the last episode as we are away. It will be on Iplayer as soon as we return!!! Love it.

Mishap Tue 16-Apr-13 12:56:09

Yes - OH and I have had Miller's hubby in the frame for a while!

HappyNanna Tue 16-Apr-13 13:08:55

After last nights revelations, I wondered if Nige's father (Pauline Quirke's ex) could be involved somewhere along the line. She seemed adamant it was him (Nige) in the boat that came into the beach with Danny's body and also said Nige was the spitting image of his father. Can't think why though! Really looking forward to next week's episode.

NannaB Tue 16-Apr-13 13:14:37

Happynanna, hadn't thought of that! Oh imagine if it is him and he killed the other child as well! It's so gripping.

LullyDully Tue 16-Apr-13 13:56:28

Luckily we managed to watch it in Spain. Well I have been moaning about how slow it has been but it's speeding up now. Can't wait for the end. Did Danny get killed accidentally on the hunt , policeman's son there, they tried to cover it up!? photos on the computer?

How did he die again? confused

Grannyeggs Tue 16-Apr-13 14:04:47

I think he was strangled.

Ana Tue 16-Apr-13 15:38:59

Susan Wright's husband hanged himself in prison, Happynanna, so he's out of the frame!

HappyNanna Tue 16-Apr-13 16:20:29

Oh, thanks. Must have missed that bit! Back to the drawing board!

merlotgran Tue 16-Apr-13 19:01:40

I feel like sticking a large whiteboard up on the wall and creating my own incident room. Not sure what DH would think about it but it might stop the constant, 'Who's he again? What happened to the newsagent? Where's the mobile? What does he do for a job? I thought you said the dog was dead!'

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

My money's still on the policewoman's husband.

annodomini Tue 16-Apr-13 19:59:06

How many bets on the sergeant's husband? He's about the only one who hasn't been interviewed, so by process of elimination... confused

sunflowersuffolk Tue 16-Apr-13 20:58:45

Well when Ellie the policewoman was letting Susan go after interviewing her, Susan said why do you keep staring at me like that? Ellie said something about - "I can't believe you were in the house when all that was going on, and you didn't know" meaning when Susans' husband was abusing their daughter.

Just wondered if the same will be the case with Ellie and her husband, I think he may be very involved, and she was totally unaware. Also he is bald headed, so at a distance, when Susan thought she saw her estranged son in the boat dumping the body at night, maybe it was the other baldie, Ellies husband!!.

However she seems to have covered up the fact that her son and Danny were certainly not friends, lately at least.

BAnanas Wed 17-Apr-13 09:51:05

sunflowersufflolk - I watched it on playback last night and I thought exactly the same as you when Ellie said to Susan "I can't believe you were in the house when all that was going on and you didn't know" I think that statement is going to come back and slap her in the face when she finds out about her own husband. We'll have to wait and see if we are proved right!

Grannyeggs Wed 17-Apr-13 10:25:27

I agree. Oh roll on next Monday to put us out of our misery.

sunflowersuffolk Wed 17-Apr-13 19:43:58

It's so exciting, can't wait to know. Glad someone else thinks the same. Bound to be an extra twist at the end!

Marelli Wed 17-Apr-13 20:31:00

I missed that bit - about Ellie saying that to Susan.....confused.

Forzanonna Fri 19-Apr-13 17:17:21

I thought that remark might come back to bite as well sunflowersuffolk

HappyNanna Mon 22-Apr-13 15:03:02

Well, it's the last one tonight - can't wait! Although I'll have to as I'm out tonight. Have been checking on facebook most people seem to think it's Ellie's husband, some the vicar and some suspect the daughter's boyfriend. I think it'll turn out to be related to the previous murder of the girl. Have read an article recently that said the clues have been there right from the start, well if they have they've certainly not been apparent to me. There's also supposed to be a clue in the theme music. It's a very haunting piece called 'So close' but even though I've read the lyrics a few times, I can't make head nor tail of them. All will be revealed later.

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 15:09:27

The bookies favourite is Joe Miller (Ellies' husband) at odds of 4/6 (whatever that means). Next is their son Tom, then the Vicar.

The psychic kept saying it was someone close!!! surely cannot be his parents or sister? No.

gracesmum Mon 22-Apr-13 15:12:53

All I can add is that the phone will be OFF, and I will be UNAVAILABLE even for emergencies tonight!!!

Notso Mon 22-Apr-13 15:13:20

Could it be the Gran? shock

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 15:18:11

shock at Gran - not long now

Pittcity Mon 22-Apr-13 15:23:49

Radio Times has tweeted that you must be sure to watch from the very beginning to the end....something will be revealed after the credits...intriguing.
Can't wait grin

Notso Mon 22-Apr-13 15:31:41
shysal Mon 22-Apr-13 16:25:08

I think I was the first on here to suspect the detective's husband. We shall see! I hope my recorder doesn't stop before the very end!

Tegan Mon 22-Apr-13 16:36:42

Oh I've missed all of this. Olivia Coleman is one of my favourite actresses [I see she's teaming up with Paddy Considine to do something else soon as well] and I used to have childhood holidays at Clevedon and have such fond memories of the place. I'll have to get it on dvd. I think the Scandinavian stuff has run it's course with me and BBC4 are just showing anything they can with subtitles, regardless of whether it's good or not.

mrshat Mon 22-Apr-13 16:44:22

Someone in the D.Telegraph threw in the Blonde in the hotel/her that had the affair with the dad, as a possibility ............................. Roll on 9.00p.m. grin

Ana Mon 22-Apr-13 16:46:36

Apparently there is a clue in the very first frame, where Danny is standing on the clifftop with what looks like blood dripping from his hand....confused

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 16:56:13

if it IS'NT blood, what could it be? Oil? from boat ? Or, clutching at straws - Danny had been paintballing in the past without his Mum knowing - could it be paintball paint, but why, in the night?

I do hope it is fully answered, if we may need to wait until credits. I hope they don't leave it open to debate.

Mishap Mon 22-Apr-13 17:05:31

Well if there is something revealed after the credits, let us fervently hope that they do not have some nonsense trailer there as happens so often!!

Ana Mon 22-Apr-13 17:06:45

Yes - or an annoying voice-over telling us what's coming next....hmm

merlotgran Mon 22-Apr-13 19:11:31

The red stuff dripping from Danny's hand is likely to be red diesel because nasty Nige the poacher admitted he was also nicking fuel from farms.

What about sister Chloe and her boyfriend and where's the postman gone? hmm

Ella46 Mon 22-Apr-13 19:41:54

Ooooh I can't wait! grin

Ana Mon 22-Apr-13 19:42:49

I keep thinking back to that postman, too, merlot....hmm

BAnanas Mon 22-Apr-13 20:23:22

My money is on Ellie's husband, according to the Evening Standard he's the hot favourite. Monday nights wont be the same after tonight. I'd like to think we could have more dramas of this quality

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 20:31:23

I did think it was Ellies husband .... but is that now too obvious?

Just saw a trailer for The Suspicions of Mr Whicher with Olivia Coleman, which looks interesting .... as we will all be lost when Broadchurch finishes!

LullyDully Mon 22-Apr-13 21:29:06

Ah so that is that!! Cooooooo.shock

Ella46 Mon 22-Apr-13 22:04:08

Well, it started slowly but went on to a really good finale.

Pittcity Mon 22-Apr-13 22:04:47

.......Broadchurch will return......

BAnanas Mon 22-Apr-13 22:06:17

....................I was right! the clue was in "how could you not know?" Would never have guessed the reason though. I thought it was one of the best dramas we have had in a long time. Glad to see at the end that there will be another Broadchurch.

Marelli Mon 22-Apr-13 22:08:43

Aah! Wasn't that GOOD!!

Grannyeggs Mon 22-Apr-13 22:08:50

It was fabulous. Very moving at the end, and awful that her words came back to haunt her, I'll miss it.

Mishap Mon 22-Apr-13 22:09:07

Did anyone get the supposed Facebook link?

gracesmum Mon 22-Apr-13 22:09:58

Well!! I think most people saw that coming, but I would never have guessed why. Powerful stuff! And the end was so moving - have to admit I cried.

gracesmum Mon 22-Apr-13 22:10:25

Re the Facebook link - yes, it was very short.

shysal Mon 22-Apr-13 22:14:02
Ana Mon 22-Apr-13 22:15:13

A wonderful last episode! I do think there was far too much hype about it though - there were no real surprises or shocks, it would have been better just to let us all just enjoy it without hinting at further twists and turns in the plot. Superb acting by all the cast.

sunflowersuffolk Mon 22-Apr-13 22:16:21

It was a really excellent programme, and like gracesmum, I was in tears, it was very moving, and well acted.

Mishap Mon 22-Apr-13 22:18:25

Thanks shysal - unfortunately it will not open as it says I have to install some other software. Never mind.
Was it worth watching?

BAnanas Mon 22-Apr-13 22:21:50

Yes forgot to say wonderful acting and very moving. David Tennant is popping up again this week in the Politician's Wife, looks as if it could be good but it will have to go a long way to beat this one it's certainly up there with some of the best of the Skandis!

Lilygran Mon 22-Apr-13 22:23:54

I wondered how they had got David Tennant and Olivia Coleman into a mystery but I can understand now. I thought the last episode was very powerful and compassionate.

Ella46 Mon 22-Apr-13 22:31:30

BAnanas, it's The Politician's Husband this time. It was The Politician's Wife a few years ago, with Trevor Eve.
I seem to remember that it was good, so I'm looking forward to this reverse view.

vegasmags Mon 22-Apr-13 22:37:10

I remember that, Ella. Did Juliet Stevenson play the wife?

Sel Mon 22-Apr-13 22:46:41

I'm glad its over - now no worries about recording or missing an episode. I thought the beacons were slight OTT but, given that the subtext was community, maybe that would happen in Dorset? Glad I read all the comments on here and could identify the killer with quiet, modest confidence - thanks ladies smile

Ella46 Mon 22-Apr-13 22:47:18

Yes, she did, it should be good.

BAnanas Mon 22-Apr-13 22:47:20

Ella you're right, that's what I meant The Politician's Husband, and I was confusing it with the previous one from a few years ago, I do remember it though.

HappyNanna Tue 23-Apr-13 08:05:57

You can watch the extra scene on Youtube. It's not very exciting

GrandmaH Tue 23-Apr-13 13:10:47

Don't bother with the voting- just give Olivia Coleman the BAFTA!
Loved it! Even if I did get the killer from week one- I watch too many Scanidramas.

soop Tue 23-Apr-13 13:28:53

Terrific stuff! I agree GrandmaH - Olivia Coleman deserves the BAFTA

annodomini Tue 23-Apr-13 13:37:35

It was a first class cast and plot. David Tennant said in a interview that they didn't know whodunit until just before they recorded the last episode which must have made their acting all the more convincing.

whenim64 Tue 23-Apr-13 13:38:04

Yes, Olivia Coleman's performance in that last episode was amazing. I was astonished when the reason for killing Danny was revealed. Would never have guessed. I thought he was having an affair with Danny's mum, got her pregnant, and one of them had killed Danny to stop him disclosing it. I do love a red herring grin

Ella46 Tue 23-Apr-13 13:44:20

I don't know if it's a good idea to do another series though, it would be like a soap opera set in Broadchurch hmm

Ana Tue 23-Apr-13 14:02:50

I agree, Ella. Nothing could match up to this series.

eGJ Wed 24-Apr-13 07:51:15

Perhaps Olivia Coleman's the clue to the next series and how the community do pull together, though another murder would be a bit much and we'd suspect them all!

Ella46 Wed 24-Apr-13 07:58:31

eGJ, exactly, just like a soap! smile

annodomini Sat 18-May-13 17:07:47
mrshat Sat 18-May-13 17:34:05

Oops!! Not enough - not great on detail in these things!! grin

Gorki Sat 18-May-13 17:40:42

I scored 7 out of 10 in the quiz. Did not get the name of Pauline Quirke's dog, name of the newspaper or David Tennant's previous case. Otherwise it was quite easy. grin

Ana Sat 18-May-13 17:47:55

Same here, Gorki - I remembered the name of the newspaper but got Devon and Dorset mixed up! blush

shysal Sat 18-May-13 17:53:08

Only scored 5!

annodomini Sat 18-May-13 18:17:40

I got 8, mostly inspired guesswork. grin

Ana Sat 18-May-13 18:18:59

I must admit I guessed about the slug - I don't actually remember it! grin

Gorki Sat 18-May-13 18:22:41

I did too.

HappyNanna Sat 18-May-13 19:27:58

8 out of 10. Quite pleased with myself

broomsticks Mon 20-May-13 19:16:34

That's clever. I loved the series but I can't remember any of the answers now confused

Add your message here

To post you need a valid nickname and password. Log in if you are a returning member, or join for free.

If you have forgotten your nickname or your password, you can get a reminder.