Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Interior Design

(131 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 20-Jan-14 20:33:21

I enjoyed The Great Interior Design Challenge even if was just a more upmarket version of Changing Rooms. DH groaned and picked up his fishing magazine muttering something about hiding the paintbrushes.

Maybe it's a good thing that I've just finished our bedroom.

Tegan Mon 20-Jan-14 20:44:58

I loved it; was glued to the tv! I do hate the 'you have only got x number of days to finish the job' scenario [not necessary imo] though. I'm glad the girl won; that room was beautiful. In fact it's got me all itchy fingered to do some decorating. We've been buying some paint that goes on almost like chalk but, when it's been waxed it's really tough, and I'm desperate to try it on something. My son has painted a table and my daughter has plans for her new kitchen. I was surprised at how well the third bedroom turned out [the one the man designed]. And I've always wanted to do something with chicken wire.

mollie Mon 20-Jan-14 22:46:23

I only caught a bit of this as I changed channels and was rather intrigued so will be going back to download this so that I can see the whole programme and maybe get some inspiration!

Agus Mon 20-Jan-14 22:58:22

I missed this but am now downloading it.

Tegan I have used Annie Sloan's chalk paint then waxed. Very impressed with the finish. I buy wooden frames from charity shops and experiment with different paint finishes. It's great fun

merlotgran Mon 20-Jan-14 22:58:47

I won't say too much then, mollie but there's a moment when the second designer decided to embellish her quite tasteful design with a 'trompe l'oeil' effect and I would hazard a guess that all viewers were shouting, 'Nooooooooooooooo!!!!'

ninathenana Mon 20-Jan-14 23:15:07

I take it grey is the colour for bedrooms this year smile
I thought the winner was the best scheme.

Tegan Tue 21-Jan-14 00:26:40

Is the chalk paint quite tough when it's been waxed? I think grey looks good in rooms of that size but in my house it would look like the Black Hole of Calcutta sad.

Agus Tue 21-Jan-14 05:30:39

Paint then a wax finish is a popular technique used for painting furniture in Provence and is very tough.

Pale grey with white woodwork works well in a dull room. I like this look with bits and pieces of yellow or pale lavendar.

mollie Tue 21-Jan-14 09:11:35

By sheer coincidence I'm reading Annie Sloane's painting techniques book - never heard of her until last week when I found the book on the library shelf now I see her everywhere! - and am very tempted to give it a go. Maybe this programme will give me the inspiration...

annodomini Tue 21-Jan-14 09:56:08

Is grey the new eau di nil?

Lona Tue 21-Jan-14 09:59:08

It is in my wardrobe anno!

Tegan Tue 21-Jan-14 18:18:09

It's on again tonight! [thought it was once a week]. Can't wait. Am addicted grin. Will grey be the 'in' colour tonight?? Is it on tomorrow as well cause I'm supposed to be going out..I need an excuse not to go hmm....

hespian Tue 21-Jan-14 19:03:36

What channel? Sounds interesting!

merlotgran Tue 21-Jan-14 19:08:33

BBC2. It's on now.

hespian Tue 21-Jan-14 19:10:18

Thank you. Just in time!!!

merlotgran Tue 21-Jan-14 19:10:32

It's on every night this week Tegan grin

DH is wailing in despair.

Tegan Tue 21-Jan-14 20:13:49

I thought the woman who won was Grayson Perry's mum. Liked all of the rooms and pleased to see that the terraced houses in Salford are still instact. When my ex was at Uni there we thought they were all going to be demolished. Have used old Beano's to cover vases and suchlike in the past and I saved old Observer magazines for years with the intention of using them for collages when I found time to do it. I've just bought a printer/scanner and am having a great time copying things so this programme has come at a good [or bad] time.

merlotgran Tue 21-Jan-14 20:24:31

I felt a bit sorry for Lyn, whose design went down like a ton of bricks. She didn't really listen to the brief and we hooted with laughter when she insisted, they're not just logs, they're ROUND logs! grin

I liked the man's design (can't remember his name)

rosesarered Tue 21-Jan-14 20:36:43

Good programme. I liked Lynn's room the best, the other one [the man] also did a good job but it lacked any colour at all [maybe what the client wanted] and the winner....... whoooo! I couldn't have lived in that room with those chairs, and the awful table.looked like a student's digs.

seasider Tue 21-Jan-14 21:01:31

I thought Lynn's room was lovely and much improved especially the alcove with the desk . Her client obviously could not see how hideous his room was !

hespian Tue 21-Jan-14 21:15:48

I also preferred Lynn's room to the others but somehow it was predictable that the judges chose the quirkiest design.

Tegan Tue 21-Jan-14 22:23:28

Seems to be very much the luck of the draw which client you get. Unfortunately Lynn got the guy who didn't really want his room decorated anyway [I reckon he just wanted it redecorated for free exactly as it was before].

grumppa Wed 22-Jan-14 07:58:22

In programme 1 I was intrigued to see a whole fitted wardrobe vanish and apparently not be replaced by any storage. Had it been standing empty? Was there massive spare space elsewhere? Has the occupier gone minimalist? I think we should be told!

shysal Wed 22-Jan-14 08:44:51

grumppa, the client said storage was not a problem as they had another room which they used.
I am really enjoying the programme, have set the series to record. Along with the other daily titles saved (Australian Masterchef and Britain's Best Bakery), I find it difficult to catch up on them all!

ginny Wed 22-Jan-14 09:20:56

I thought the table and chairs in the winning room were awful. I would have taken them to the dump. I loved the tree transfer and the room was nice though lacking colour. My favourite was the one that the owner did not like but I don't think he would have like anything other than a freshen up of what he already had.