Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey

(30 Posts)
rosesarered Sun 21-Sep-14 15:24:44

Will you be watching the new series?

shysal Sun 21-Sep-14 16:15:03

I shall be watching, really looking forward to it!

Charleygirl Sun 21-Sep-14 16:31:21

Cannot wait!

merlotgran Sun 21-Sep-14 17:01:27

Hurrah!!

rubysong Sun 21-Sep-14 17:14:37

Yes, I love Downtown.

Mishap Sun 21-Sep-14 18:25:03

Yup - I'll be there!

Purpledaffodil Sun 21-Sep-14 19:07:38

Oh yes! Can't wait! grin

granniefinn Sun 21-Sep-14 19:54:08

It's great to have something to watch on a Sunday night now that it's dark outside smile

Pittcity Sun 21-Sep-14 19:58:15

I'll be saving it for tomorrow as promised to watch Our Girl with DH. He is not a Downton fan. sad

ninathenana Sun 21-Sep-14 23:25:02

Is it just me that felt a little disappointed ??

Nanabelle Mon 22-Sep-14 00:01:51

That's a shame ninathenana. I enjoyed it - lots of different story lines, though I do find Lord Grantham so very grumpy stuffy and snobby! I think he should be of a more gentleman like character (as in Jane Austen!!) - more gracious as the lord and master.
Not sure why they didn't have a fireguard of some sort in the bedroom though, especially at night. And surely the slimy Thomas would not still be there?

suebailey1 Mon 22-Sep-14 12:09:31

I haven't watched it all yet I let DH off after three quarters of an hour - I think he had suffered enough! The Duke being passed over for the Butler for Chairman - hilarious!

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 12:29:45

Yes, I thought there should have been a fireguard!

Nanabelle Lord Grantham is getting very grumpy and stuffy - I think because the old order is changing and he doesn't like it one bit. In Jane Austen's time everyone knew their place, but in 1924 people are beginning to wonder exactly where 'their place' is.
The times they are a-changing.

Thomas was lurking supposedly as a lookout for the other footman, Jimmy, who was 'looking after' Lady Anstruther. Probably lurking because he lusts after Jimmy therefore enjoying the tryst vicariously. That's what I thought, may be wrong though!

I think it got back to form last night.

rubysong Mon 22-Sep-14 13:20:31

Spot on Rosequartz regarding the two footmen. You could see that in Thomas' face. When was the last series? I seem to have missed some plot (Lady Edith baby). Could it have been last November, when we were on the States, or am I just starting to forget things?

merlotgran Mon 22-Sep-14 13:28:46

That fire brigade was quick off the mark!!

Come on, Daisy. Get that teacher to show you the ins and outs of numbers (didn't they call it arithmetic in those days?) You've got a farm to inherit - probably by the end of the series.

I agree about Lord Grantham but if Cora doesn't stop simpering her head's going to roll off her right shoulder.

suemac Mon 22-Sep-14 15:29:43

Any ideas of the whereabouts of the father of Lady Edith's little girl? Sorry bit involved - couldn't remember his name!

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 15:33:12

rubysong, yes it could have been then, she went to stay with her aunt in London, confessed to her then went to Geneva to have the baby as far as I remember. The lover disappeared off to Germany and hasn't reappeared.
The little girl looks quite like her I thought!

Charleygirl Mon 22-Sep-14 17:49:52

Thanks for the update rosequartz. I have not missed a episode but totally forgot that she went to stay with an aunt in London.

Slimy Thomas does not change. I hope that the servant who has a conviction is not sacked.

rosequartz Mon 22-Sep-14 18:14:01

The lover disappeared off to Germany and hasn't reappeared. What is he up to - shall we ever find out?

rosesarered Mon 22-Sep-14 18:25:23

yes, I think we will find out what happened to 'the lover' but may have to wait a bit. I did get a bit bored watching the first episode last night, but first episodes are always a bit 'setting the scene' aren't they.
Lady Grantham looking older [as she should] and the butler looking and soundinfg even stuffier than Lord Grantham.Isis [the dog] looking much younger and slimmer [different dog?]

rosesarered Mon 22-Sep-14 18:26:23

Mary always annoys me!

Iam64 Mon 22-Sep-14 20:15:20

rosesarered - so pleased to see someone else spotted the dog has the same name, Isis, but is a much younger, slimmer dog than the original Isis. I enjoy suspending belief and watching Downton. Love the Dowager's killer one liners, the clothes and the scenery. However, I can't suspend belief about that dog. Does his lordship call all his dogs Isis, I wonder. smile

mcem Mon 22-Sep-14 21:09:22

Eagerly awaiting the appearance of George Clooney!

Lona Mon 22-Sep-14 21:18:10

I seem to think that the original dog actually belonged to the owners of the stately home (I can't remember which house it is)

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:43:42

It's Highclere Castle, Lona and well worth a visit if you are in the Newbury area. The Egyptian exhibition was an extra £5 and I did wonder whether to bother, but it was wonderful.

I think the dog is a different dog, and the original was an actor not the dog belonging to Lord and Lady Carnarvon