Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Girl

(12 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 30-Sep-14 13:13:04

Is anyone else watching this? I've just caught up with the recent episode and ended up blubbering. When my son in law returned to Afghanistan for his final (fatal) tour of duty he was delighted to discover that since his previous tour girls had started attending school in Helmand; he spoke often of the mission to win hearts and minds and really believed that educational opportunities would ultimately provide a new generation of Aghans with the resources to turn the country around. Seeing the fictional portrayal of the Taliban assault on the school, and the refusal to allow the girl (Bashira) to attend was very moving.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 30-Sep-14 13:19:21

I'm hoping it's still on I-player as Downton won out for me. I really do want to watch it.

Not surprised you found it emotional though, granny-a. flowers

Nelliemoser Tue 30-Sep-14 13:20:40

Grannyactivist I have not watched this but I can see why you have. flowers

tanith Tue 30-Sep-14 14:02:27

I have certainly enjoyed the series so far and I can see how it would affect people who have had loved ones involved. Lets hope that sometime in the future Afghanistan finds peace.

numberplease Tue 30-Sep-14 17:00:37

Yes, we`re watching it, after enjoying the what was meant to be a one off drama last year, in which the impression was given that she`d been killed in action, but obviously when they decided on a series they resurrected her. I think it`s a very good drama, but would hate to be the only woman amongst all those blokes, Lacey Turner is doing a good job in this. The Smurf character is a bit annoying, but the captain is a bit of a dish!

Rowantree Wed 01-Oct-14 09:49:44

I'm enjoying it. I didn't expect to. Even DH is watching it, and war dramas aren't his thing at all. It's well acted and gripping. I agree about the Smurf character though! Not sure about the captain - was thinking that he does seem to be attracted to Dawes, and I wondered if there was going to be a sexual assault theme - not so far!

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Oct-14 13:17:26

I think Smurf has a soft centre and is vulnerable while Dawes sees him as a mate but he is likely to be living a wee bit on the edge and his cockiness is I think just bravado.

Dishy officer might end up a pain in the bum, but he is dishy.

We are also watching it with emotion as one of our sons did 4 RAF tours between Iraq and Afghanistan.

Pittcity Wed 01-Oct-14 16:57:52

I am enjoying it with DH and DS and recording Downton to watch on my own!

Unfortunately my boys love picking fault with the production which is apparently using helicopters that were not used in Afghanistan etc. I am just loving the story.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Oct-14 20:27:38

Just watched the first episode on i-player. Very good. Going on to second one now...

numberplease Wed 01-Oct-14 21:45:26

Did you all see the original drama last year?

papaoscar Mon 06-Oct-14 07:11:53

A poignant reminder of what our young people are exposed to in the armed forces. The programme should be force-fed to the political buffoons and be-medalled loons who send our troops out to these god-forsaken places.

Jane10 Mon 06-Oct-14 09:40:34

I`m enjoying it too and although I always liked Lacey Turner I reckon she must be getting a bit sick of always having to play tortured souls- cocky but brave sort of thing. What do the GNs with family members with Afghan experience think of "Bluestone 42"? Its also set in Afghanistan but seems to be trying to be a modern day "MASH". I enjoyed it, the humour and the characters did stick in my mind. Scots viewers might also have like "Garry Tank Commander" ( hilarious but maybe not everyone`s cup of tea)