Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

JL Christmas ad

(193 Posts)
J52 Thu 06-Nov-14 10:14:23

Just seen John Lewis's Christmas ad. I'm not sure about it. What do others think? You can see it on You Tube. X

Mishap Thu 06-Nov-14 10:23:21

Blimey - I bet that cost a penny or two!

Teetime Thu 06-Nov-14 10:27:16

I didn't mind it but not keen on the music - I expect we shall see it hundreds of times now.

tanith Thu 06-Nov-14 10:30:58

I wasn't even going to look but then my niece posted it to my FB page.. I have to admit it is very sweet..

J52 Thu 06-Nov-14 10:31:03

I found something disturbing that such a young child would want a 'mate' for his toy penguin and he looks oddly at his mother. This could of course be all in my imagination. The song is apparently a John Lennon one. X

tanith Thu 06-Nov-14 10:32:55

J52 I think the penguin was giving all the hints necessary, as for looking oddly at his Mother?? what an odd thing to think!!

J52 Thu 06-Nov-14 10:36:40

At the end when they find him opening the present. As I said, first impression. I may change my mind after seeing it hundreds of times, before Christmas. X

alex57currie Thu 06-Nov-14 11:20:39

Just watched it on youtube because post piqued my intrest. Pass me the sick bag. This is shamess manipulation on an emotional level. JL is saying all you hopes and dreams can be bought here. Now, I realise I've left myself open for a barrage for belonging to the "bah humbug" brigade. But there you have it. It takes all sorts etc, etc, etc- There, I feel better now.

feetlebaum Thu 06-Nov-14 11:35:57

I read it as the boy being a bit embarrassed at having done something a bit 'girly' and soft... very natural!

The penguin is a fine example of CGI ... so lifelike. Very entertaining - for the first two or three times.... The song was a bit of a nothing.

gillybob Thu 06-Nov-14 11:36:20

Oh I watched it earlier this morning and I absolutely love it J52. It brought tears to my eyes, although it was pretty easy to guess the ending it was still lovely. smile

I agree Teetime the music does let it down a teensy bit.

posie Thu 06-Nov-14 11:37:31

The penguin couldn't be "giving all the hints necessary" tanith as it's just his cuddly toy, confused

Granny23 Thu 06-Nov-14 12:07:46

Shameless Manipulation indeed Alex. With all the terrible things happening in the world and all the good things to be celebrated, here we are on Gransnet discussing a commercial advert - WTF hmm

glammanana Thu 06-Nov-14 12:42:40

No doubt we will be seeing more festive ads by the end of this week according to The Guardian,Asda/Lidl & Debenhams have all got their's ready for prime time viewing,I loved the one from Debenhams showing all the children running about the store after closing time,I also like the fact that the little girl finds a cute soft toy as a friend rather than some up to the minute techi game.

shysal Thu 06-Nov-14 13:21:02

The ending brought a tear to my eye too, gillybob, maybe because the festive season highlights the aloneness for those of us who live on our own sad. The JL ads are so long, they must cost a fortune to make, but I enjoy them every year.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Nov-14 13:28:02

Oh! I don't believe it! It's just so sweet! I've come over all Christmassy!

Here we go again. hmmsmile

Xmas emoti when you like HQ. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Nov-14 13:31:16

He's a lovely little actor. I love the fish finger drop. grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Nov-14 13:45:39

That's cute. And will no doubt be in for a proper old doing over by the cynics. The DGSs will love it and I will love watching them love it. smile

Roll on the rest of them! smile

kittylester Thu 06-Nov-14 14:10:03

Granny23 - I don't know about in your life, but in mine we talk about all sorts of things - good, bad and ridiculous! Like it or not, the jl ad is part of popular culture!

Soutra Thu 06-Nov-14 14:21:00

I think it is lovely! Let's not over-think these things smile

kittylester Thu 06-Nov-14 14:35:15

I love it and I like the music!

merlotgran Thu 06-Nov-14 14:37:12

I love penguins!!

I'm a sucker for shameless manipulation at Christmas which I can manage to enjoy despite being concerned about the terrible things happening in the world. hmm

whenim64 Thu 06-Nov-14 14:50:56

I like it, too. Grandaughter is a penguin fan so no doubt we'll be YouTube-ing it to death! grin

tanith Thu 06-Nov-14 15:10:13

posie you are quite right, just shows how these adverts suck you right in and turn your normally sensible brain to mush...

Atqui Thu 06-Nov-14 15:14:26

Heard on the radio it cost 7 million

ginny Thu 06-Nov-14 15:49:33

I watched it. Not overly impressed with it and thought it was a bit too long.

Granny23 Surely we can talk about all sorts of frivolous or mundane things without forgetting and / or caring about the terrible things. Should we all be miserable all the time ?