Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I'm a Celebrity........

(56 Posts)
Marmight Tue 11-Nov-14 09:56:59

I have just heard that Michael Buerk will be taking part in this. shock. I feel that ex newsreaders should refrain from taking part in reality shows and retain a modicum of gravitas in their retirement! What do you think? (I have never watched this programme btw)

Marmight Tue 11-Nov-14 10:05:54

I forgot to add that he will receive a fee of £120,000 which might have some bearing on why he has chosen to go to Oz and make a right * * * of himself!

Teetime Tue 11-Nov-14 10:06:25

That'll be it.

merlotgran Tue 11-Nov-14 10:07:09

I've just had a look at the line up so far and apart from Michael Buerk I haven't a clue who anyone is. hmm

Oldgreymare Tue 11-Nov-14 10:23:59

Oh dear, how the mighty are fallen, I still won't watch it tho'.

henetha Tue 11-Nov-14 10:30:52

I am surprised at this. I thought he was far too dignified for such things.
However, I enjoy the programme and shall be watching it. It makes me laugh. I suppose it's about the money! But to be honest, if someone offered me £120,000 I would be very tempted and probably say yes.
I read this morning that Chris Packham has written to Ant and Dec asking them to stop using live animals/insects etc, as it is cruel and also sends out the wrong message. I tend to agree and hope the programme can come up with alternative trials which don't involve animals or insects.

whenim64 Tue 11-Nov-14 10:44:44

I'll watch - Ant and Dec have me in stitches. I'd rather the animals and insects were left out of it altogether, so agree with Chris Packham.

posie Tue 11-Nov-14 10:52:27

I'll be watching! Don't think even the lure of £120,000 could get me to agree to do anything where rats were likely to run over me though.

glammanana Tue 11-Nov-14 11:00:53

I always look forward to I'm a Celeb and Ant & Dec they really make the programme I think,I was in hysteric's the other year when at the beginning of every programme they acknowledged The Prime Minister by saying "Good Morning PM".
It has got to be my guilty pleasure and I do warm to the contestants as the programme progress's.

annodomini Tue 11-Nov-14 11:46:42

I was so put off by the things they had to do and consume that I stopped watching it years ago. Maybe it was something to do with being a veggie!

Riverwalk Tue 11-Nov-14 13:36:21

I'm still reeling from President Gorbachev taking part in an advert for Pizza Hut!! shock

The man who brought down the Berlin Wall .......... former leader of the Soviet Union .... international statesman ... who'd have thought!

soontobe Tue 11-Nov-14 13:58:57

Newsreaders have got on the celebrity bandwagon.

I have never understood why cruelty to animals is viewed with deep loathing, whereas cruelty to fish and insects is seen as A ok and entertainment.

That said, the programme is being aired, and I do like aspects of it[I whizz over most of the trials if I am watching by myself.]

annodomini Tue 11-Nov-14 14:53:18

Perhaps the Russians don't pay their former Presidents enough. Gorbachev could take a leaf out of Tony Blair's book!

Lona Tue 11-Nov-14 15:06:13

I watch it every year in the hope that someone else will be as funny as Paul Burrell.
Ant and Dec are usually very funny too.

Eloethan Tue 11-Nov-14 15:11:25

I liked it when it first started. The "trials" didn't really interest me but the developing relationships between people did - and how everybody coped in an environment completely alien to their normal lives. It was also interesting and quite heartening to see the alliances that were formed, which often involved very surprising combinations of people.

The trials became very extreme - cruel to both the animals and the competitors. I started to feel sickened by it and stopped watching about 9 years ago.

annsixty Tue 11-Nov-14 15:47:35

Am I alone in never having watched I'm a Celebrity?

Anne58 Tue 11-Nov-14 15:51:10

No, I've never watched it either and have no plans to start now!

Anyway, surely the program makers could be sued under some obscure part of the Trade Descriptions Act?

annsixty Tue 11-Nov-14 15:54:00

Nice to see you phoenix.

merlotgran Tue 11-Nov-14 20:17:54

This morning I looked at the line up and thought, Blimey, Trudie Styler's come down a bit until I googled Tinchy Stryder - whoever he may be hmm

ninathenana Tue 11-Nov-14 23:38:34

No, annsixty your not alone.

GrannyAsNanny Wed 12-Nov-14 07:18:21

I've never watched the programme. I think ex-newsreaders (like ex-MPs, eg Anne Widdecombe?) should be free to be and do whatever they want in their 'retirement'. I think dignity is an overrated quality! And how do we know the £120,00 isn't going to charity?

Lona Wed 12-Nov-14 08:24:36

It really is a dire line up this year, scraping the barrel definitely.

mollie65 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:30:39

I am with the non-watchers grin
out of interest I googled to see what the Daily mail has termed 'The full star-studded line-up for this year's I'm A Celebrity'
STARS! shock

merlotgran Wed 12-Nov-14 09:23:23

I quite look forward to it really. It's the one time of the year when I can mutter, 'Who are these people?' without the family threatening to book me into the nearest home for the bewildered.

Iam64 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:23:33

Ive watched it occasionally, when our children/grandchilden have been here. I like ant n dec, but I loathe the bush tucker trials. I'm not a fan of mini beasts, rats etc, but it does seem cruel and, dare I say this, rather tasteless to eat live things.

I wouldn't eat mini beasts, or swim with rats no matter how much money I was offered. I much prefer to watch the nordic noir I've become addicted to - go Saga!grin