Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Just watched (or listened to - - )

(9 Posts)
onmyown Sat 22-Nov-14 17:09:41

Just watched the last hour of "The Red Shoes" (1948) with Moira Shearer. ( I've caught bits of it in the past, never watched it right through - not today either.)

Beautiful period piece, don't care about the cheesy storyline, with magical ballet scenes laced with fantasy moon flowers smile, and richly coloured sets. (And I am not a ballet aficionado, I think that's the right word?) Anyone else seen it today?

Or anything else? (I caught "Saturday Live" this morning, Radio 4 - love it.)

Bez Sat 22-Nov-14 17:52:59

Yes I did - happened to see it was on and watched a bit more than an hour - got more of the gist of the storyline too. I don't know of anything else with Moira Shearer in - assume she retired or did something else when she married Ludovik Kennedy.

Tegan Sat 22-Nov-14 18:55:55

I saw Hope and Glory a couple of weks ago and couldn't understand why I'd never watched it before [it was lovely]. On the subject of old films I've just bought, off the internet, an old film annual that I owned as a child. It was as if I'd only put it down the day before and picked it up again. A favourite of mine that has been on the telly recently is The Quiet Man; not very correct from a womens lib point of view, but I love it blush.

ninathenana Sat 22-Nov-14 20:58:25

When ever I see mention of this film I think of mum n dad. He took her to see it on their first date. She hated it and walked out on him grin it took him weeks to persuade her to go on another date with him.

I must watch it some day.

annsixty Sat 22-Nov-14 21:16:49

This brings memories to us all. DH and I went to see Angels One Five on our first date and I try to watch it when it is repeated though infrequently now after the passage of time (long).

vampirequeen Sat 22-Nov-14 22:52:50

I love The Quiet Man too.

But my favourites at the moment are two family movies. The first is One of our Dinosaurs is missing. It was made in the sixties and is certainly not very PC but it's hysterically funny in a very silly way with staid nannies stealing a fossil dinosaur from the Natural History Museum and being chased by the Chinese. The second is Thunderpants which was made in 2002. It's hard to explain the plot in a nice way so I'll quote from Wiki

a boy whose incredible capacity for flatulence gets him a job as an astronaut.

Tegan Sat 22-Nov-14 23:21:06

Sounds like a film my two grandsons would love! They're very into flatulece at the moment...

vampirequeen Sun 23-Nov-14 10:04:07

They would and our children love it because it has a naughty word in it.....'arse'.

henetha Sun 23-Nov-14 10:48:25

I've just watched the Andrew Marr show this morning while eating my crumpets. Brilliant as usual, politics mainly, but always fascinating.