Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC iplayer

(11 Posts)
Tegan Sun 23-Nov-14 11:28:11

Is anyone else having problems with iplayer? Spent ages last night trying to watch the start of the briliant new series on BBC2 about the history of Sci Fi. Missed the first half and was desperate to see it but can't get iplayer to work. Nearly threw the pooter out of the window; it just crashes everytime I try to watch it.

tanith Sun 23-Nov-14 11:46:02

Not had any problems with it on the lap-top but it was slow to load the other day on our tv but its fine this morning I just tried it. Maybe its your broadband thats the problem Tegan..

Tegan Sun 23-Nov-14 11:48:46

I think it's my computer. And, strangely enough Talk Talk keep sending me a message offering to de junk my computer for a small fee each month. Hmmm hmm. Coincidence or what?

tanith Sun 23-Nov-14 11:54:10

That does sound suspicious.. I'm lucky to have various ways to watch iplayer, I was much against OH when he bought a 'smart' tv last year but I have to say its been great for catching up with 'stuff' that I've missed much easier to find things as all the catch up stations are all easily accessed and searching for specific programs is simple.. we never have to bother recording anymore. I hope you manage to fix the problem..

Elegran Sun 23-Nov-14 12:13:36

Dejunk it yourself, Tegan for free. It is very easy. I do mine quite often and it always speeds up. Do you have Ccleaner?

Deleting old emails make a difference too.

pompa Sun 23-Nov-14 12:42:16

As Ekgran says CCleaner plus Malwarebytes clean out most of the rubbish and will speed up your system. If you haven't defragged your drive, also do that when CCleaner prompts you, but it may take several hours on a large drive.

pompa Sun 23-Nov-14 12:53:06

Ekgran, where did that come from -- Elegran

Tegan Sun 23-Nov-14 13:08:32

I tried to use the AOL de junker [it's free for one month..but the pooter crashed before it could work sad.

Elegran Sun 23-Nov-14 13:09:02

The k is next to the l, Pompa. Your finger slipped. Good job you weren't typing fulcrum.

Ccleaner also tidies up the registry safely for you, which is something you shouldn't touch manually unless you know what you are doing. That can make a difference too. You can download it free from www.tucows.com/preview/365267/CCleaner

pompa Sun 23-Nov-14 13:12:42

I meant to add that you should choose the free option for both CCleaner and malwarebytes. Malwarebytes clears out all the programs that get downloaded without your knowledge, they may not be viruses, but they will slow things down and are not needed.

Tegan Sun 23-Nov-14 14:13:24

Just taken me 15 minutes to get back on here. If you don't hear from me again it's cause I've put a hammer through it angry.