Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Interior Design Challenge BBC2

(22 Posts)
specki4eyes Fri 28-Nov-14 11:44:54

Every evening that I settle down happily to watch this, I drop off to sleep just when all the interesting bits start. I am not bored - honest - just relaxed. So last night I nodded off just as I was waiting for the finalists names to be announced - the pregnant pause takes so long! When I woke up it was over.

So does anyone know who the finalists are? I'm just hoping that the feisty lass from the north is one of them. I've tried to google it but all I can get is the BBC telling me I cant access it. Cant get iplayer.

And whilst we're on the subject - how tasty is Daniel Hopwood?! Yum yum.

merlotgran Fri 28-Nov-14 12:09:59

Fiona and Martin went through. I thought they were the best ones.

Daniel Hopwood?? hmm

Jane10 Fri 28-Nov-14 14:54:08

I sort of lost it with this series. Who are these people who let strangers in to spoil their perfectly nice houses? Do you think that BBC will pay to return these rooms to what they were like if the owners really cant bear the results?

Lona Fri 28-Nov-14 16:50:40

I've been enjoying this series too, and cringing sometimes!
Some of the properties have been beautiful, but I couldn't let a young inexperienced person mess with mine I'm afraid hmm

merlotgran Fri 28-Nov-14 16:58:40

I agree about some of the rooms looking better before the designers are let loose. hmm but I do like the section that deals with the history of the design and architecture of the buildings featured in each episode.

Much more interesting than the designs.

Tegan Fri 28-Nov-14 17:16:46

I liked the last room that Fiona did but not this one. And can't get my head round a room for a family with a small child that has a white sofa and tables with sharp corners. I'm sure one of those grey box things that were on the wall hung over the sofa so you'd hit your head on it whe you stood up. The wall unit that Fiona did was almost identical to one that was stripped out of one of the other houses confused. I'm going out on Tuesday so will miss the last one [and I still can't use iplayer] but they are repeating the whole series on Thursday mornings. I am enjoying it though. But confused that the judging is done by someone who wears bright pink tights shock.

whitewave Fri 28-Nov-14 17:33:36

The two presenters say the most odd things.

suzied Fri 28-Nov-14 18:51:55

They always say some hideous feature is "a triumph" , and even if the homeowners love it, but they think it's not " edgy enough" they don't like it! I do love this programme though and I even like the presenters despite their predictable statements.

specki4eyes Fri 28-Nov-14 20:48:57

thanks for that info - good. I hope Fiona wins..she is good, feisty and fun. Its all subjective anyway. Yes the pink legged Sophie does say some very strange things - I think its all scripted - they have to build up the drama side of it - you know.. will she? won't he? I worry that....etc etc. It was Kevin McLoud who started all that nonsense.
The Beeb must be paying some serious money to put those homeowner's houses straight afterwards - are you happy over there in Britain that your licence fee is being spent on this endless diet of competition tv? Cooking, baking, dancing, singing, house refurbs, sewing.....I dread the knitting competition when that comes up!smile

Who is Daniel Hopwood merlot? He's the very hunky Sloane who is head of the Interior Design Institute and the male judge on the programme. If ever I wanted a toy boy - he would be 'it'! Just dreaming.

Tegan Fri 28-Nov-14 21:36:47

I don't think any of the rooms have been so bad that people would want to change them [unlike Changing Rooms], but I do think some of the rooms were unsuitable for young families. I don't actualy watch any of the other elimination contests on the telly but I like this one cause I get some good ideas for decorating my own home. It was the last series that made me decorate my bedroom in grey, a colour that I wouldn't have considered before. The designers aren't complete amateurs; a local shopkeeper told me that one of the men in the last series was at a trade fair she'd been to.

janerowena Fri 28-Nov-14 22:40:00

I think Daniel Hopwood's attire is a little strange too. I feel the pair of them are dressing up. Maybe they have to wear what they are told to.

I loved the grey and white room but would have raced to the shops to buy some white fleecy washable throws the minute the tv cameras were out of the way. I liked both of the winning rooms. I can understand them wanting as much light as possible in the rooms, but they were so long and narrow that I'm surprised that no-one put in some kind of unit as a room divider, particularly in the 50s room.

Tegan Fri 28-Nov-14 23:46:03

Can someone please put up the result of the final on Tuesday; I'll be out till quite late and won't know who won sad.

merlotgran Tue 02-Dec-14 20:03:09

SPOILER ALERT!!

Tegan Martin won!!

They were both good designs and I was disappointed that Fiona didn't win because her rooms were so tastefully designed but she seemed to think it was a one horse race and came over as a bit smug towards the end.

annodomini Tue 02-Dec-14 21:32:25

I fell asleep and only woke up as they were announcing the winner. I might watch the bits I missed on i-Player.

Tegan Tue 02-Dec-14 23:59:09

Thanks merlot! I am pleased about that. But [unless I get a new pooter sorted] I'l have to wait ages to see the repeat of the programme sad.

suzied Wed 03-Dec-14 03:17:08

I liked Martins kitchen, I think that must have won it for him as the bedroom was impractical, and a bit bland, and the sitting room ok but a bit too much blue for my liking.the homeowner was thrilled with Fiona's work, but probably not enough original design ideas to please the judges.

J52 Wed 03-Dec-14 06:16:31

Has anyone else noticed that they filming is not shown in real time sequence?
Last night, when Martin's kitchen handles arrived, he said he no longer had time to spray them black. But behind him the kitchen tiles had not yet been painted, but in previous shots they were painted!

I have also noticed in other programmes some shots showed the floor covered in protective plastic, then not covered, then covered; all out of sequence! X

ninathenana Wed 03-Dec-14 13:25:25

I posted on another thread about this last night tchconfused

Lona Wed 03-Dec-14 13:28:05

They all wear the same clothes for 3 days on the run too!

merlotgran Wed 03-Dec-14 16:53:56

I have also noticed some of the shots being out of sequence and I think it's a bit daft to say things like, 'He's only got twenty minutes left' when the amount of work needed to finish the room is obviously going to take at least a couple of hours.

I wish they'd mention how some of the earlier contestants have fared like they do in Bake Off. Maybe they're not allowed anywhere near a paintbrush ever again!

stuartkweston Tue 31-Mar-15 08:20:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

glammanana Tue 31-Mar-15 08:41:22

reported.