Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Warner Leisure Hôtels

(35 Posts)
granjura Mon 15-Dec-14 16:15:14

... will never ever go there, because if I meet that stupid woman, I think I'd floor here. Surprised her Colin has not done so himself- a saint ;)

Ariadne Mon 15-Dec-14 16:30:45

What was that, granjura? Just being nosy (and really do not like the whole concept of these hotels - if they are the ones that are only for adults?)

granjura Mon 15-Dec-14 16:50:36

Surprised you have not seen those dreadful adverts on ITV- with that silly woman and her invisible husband Colin. Any Colin's here on GN- DH just said he would top himself if he was called Colin ;)

granjura Mon 15-Dec-14 16:54:17

Give me Hyacinth Bouquet any day over her- so that is telling !

MiniMouse Mon 15-Dec-14 17:23:36

Granjura I'm so with you on this! It's put me off completely and I can't help feeling that it must be the most counter-productive advert ever made!

Eloethan Mon 15-Dec-14 17:52:20

I haven't seen the advert - I'll have to watch out for it.

I think the Warner Leisure hotels are quite good for elderly, less mobile people. I took my mum to one in Somerset and it was in the most beautiful grounds.

granjura Mon 15-Dec-14 18:02:45

Cooooooyeeeeeeee- oh Colin, this is the lovely couple we met at the pool- little wave, the most silly voice ever. Yep, the worst advert ever.

ninathenana Mon 15-Dec-14 18:49:43

Yes, woman is a real pain in the butt !

DH and I have been to several of the hotels We used to take mum, she loved them. They are good value and most of the evening entertainment was very good.
I've been to Cricket St Thomas Eloethan very picturesque. I believe the zoo at the bottom of the hill is now closed.

MiniMouse Mon 15-Dec-14 18:50:21

I think Colin's run off with the courier and they've run off into the sunset on a Wallace Arnold holiday . . . . .

ninathenana Mon 15-Dec-14 18:51:15

Hasten to add you get all ages lots of 30-40 something's.

annodomini Mon 15-Dec-14 19:04:30

And the 'lovely couple' have done a swift runner. I won a holiday at a Warners hotel - Thoresby Hall in Notts - as a Gransnet prize. Took a friend with me and we enjoyed the ambience, champagne waiting for us, suite with TV in both rooms, and a 4-poster bed, spa and the lovely pool. Food could have been better - certainly not haute cuisine - but we never ran into Colin! Weather was terrible, but we had books and crosswords with us.

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 19:09:51

Oh come on. The man is a total wet lettuce and at least she has been let off the leash a little. Really though, you would avoid them as a couple wouldn't you.

MiniMouse Mon 15-Dec-14 19:48:50

No, no Gracesgran, it's all a front! He's not really a wet lettuce. He's just duping Mrs Colin into thinking he is so that she'll go off doing activities and then he can get up to no good with the courier.

Soutra Mon 15-Dec-14 19:53:01

I won't name names but that woman really reminds me of somebody . . . . . . tchgrintchgrin

annodomini Mon 15-Dec-14 20:01:49

Oh.... Soutra, you are naughty... but I like you... tchgrin

Eloethan Mon 15-Dec-14 22:22:26

ninathenana My friend told me about the zoo, so I was quite disappointed to find it had closed down - but anyway the grounds were really lovely.

FlicketyB Tue 16-Dec-14 07:06:43

Personally, I think the adverts serve a very useful purpose, they give me all the information I need to make sure we avoid them at all costs.

rockgran Tue 16-Dec-14 09:33:23

Is no one sticking up for Warner holidays? I go on lots of Warner holidays and really enjoy them - and I think those adverts are quite funny. I've returned from a "turkey and tinsel" in Wales with a group of friends and it was great fun. tchsmile

merlotgran Tue 16-Dec-14 09:37:48

DH is 70 in January and I'm thinking of taking him on a two day Warner holiday break. Thoresby Hall would be ideal because it's not far from where he grew up so we could have a trip down memory lane from the warmth of the car.

I haven't been put off by the above posts.

Teetime Tue 16-Dec-14 09:41:18

I agree about the advert. Several of DHs bowls players have been to Warners and have said they will never go again as the value for money was very poor and the hotel not well kept - in need of repairs - not sure which ones they have been to.

ninathenana Tue 16-Dec-14 15:32:25

rockgran see my earlier post. I stuck up for them tchgrin

ninathenana Tue 16-Dec-14 15:40:04

FlicketyB I've never met anyone like her on the many times I've stayed at a Warner hotel. You can mix with others or not. The choice is yours.

Of course you and everyone else are entitled to your opinion. Personally I hate the ad but enjoy I Warners.

granjura Tue 16-Dec-14 15:52:28

Never ever been to one- so I posted this thread because of the absolutely dreadful adverts- which really put me off going to WH. The Hôtel may be delightful for all I know, but that advert is not helping their cause. As said, if I ever meet her, I'll throttle her ;)

glammanana Tue 16-Dec-14 17:02:53

If he hasn't run off with the WA rep he must have gone off with the Saga rep and we all know what Saga stands for don't we.
this has got to be the most irritating advert on TV but it certainly has people talking so it must be working to some sort of degree,far too organised for my liking I'm sorry.

annodomini Tue 16-Dec-14 17:19:29

Dire thought the ad may be, I can vouch for Thoresby Hall as being a fine property in beautiful grounds - with peacocks! If the other hotels are as attractive, you can always avoid the social activities if they're not up your street, and still have a good break.