Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Please stop me now!

(16 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 17-Dec-14 18:06:53

Turned on the TV the other evening, and by default it goes to the last channel you were watching. Which in this case was BBC1. (Some documentary or other that I had been watching the evening before)

It came on to Eastenders, which I haven't watched for about 9 years! tchshock Before I knew what was happening, I simply had to find out why that woman was scowling (didn't half show her wrinkles up) and why that other woman was pouting and then of course why that woman looked so awful. It was a sort of relief to see a character or 2 that I recognised, and to find that the one that had Den's baby (Michelle?) still sounded as adenoidal as ever, and that (the actor that plays)Nick Cotton still overacts everything.

I do NOT want to start watching it again, I have enough to cope with in the Archers at the moment, tchconfused but I keep getting strangely drawn to find out what happens............

Ana Wed 17-Dec-14 18:21:58

Goodness, is Michelle still in it? tchshock I thought she'd left years ago, but then I haven't watched myself since the baby-swap hoo-haa...

I did like Nick Cotton though. Might have to have a look just to check - see what you've now, phoenix! My Corrie addiction is manageable, but if I get hooked on anything else...tchconfused

Ana Wed 17-Dec-14 18:22:24

done now

Pittcity Wed 17-Dec-14 19:54:19

Michelle has not been in it for years - they often go to visit her in America!!

The one with the adenoids is Sonia, who had Martin Fowler's (Michelle's brother) baby about 15 years ago. She gave birth after not knowing that she was pregnant.

I am one of those who have watched it for nearly 30 years!!

BTW Nick Cotton is now married to Mrs Doyle from "Father Ted" tchshock

Ana Wed 17-Dec-14 20:06:14

Oh, Sonia - yes, I remember her all right. Used to play the trumpet?

Re Nick Cotton. Do you mean in Eastenders or in real life? tchconfused

Anne58 Wed 17-Dec-14 20:17:39

Oh yes, of course it's Sonya! I was getting a bit confuddled with that thing of all the offspring of one family having names beginning with the same letter, i.e. Michelle, Martin and err umm..............

rosequartz Wed 17-Dec-14 20:20:26

They're still scowling all these years later than?

Anne58 Wed 17-Dec-14 20:27:31

*rosequartz

At the list of going all *doo lally"

Pittcity Wed 17-Dec-14 20:45:45

Ana I mean in Eastenders!

numberplease Thu 18-Dec-14 00:01:55

I love my Eastenders, have not missed a single episode since it began in 1985, even if I have to record it.

Teetime Thu 18-Dec-14 08:56:44

I hate these soaps- I wonder how much they are responsible for social mis- behaviour these days?sad

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 18-Dec-14 09:01:03

Why do you want to be stopped? If there is a chance you might get some pleasure from watching - why not? tchconfused

Marelli Thu 18-Dec-14 09:28:27

I watch both Eastenders and Corrie - can't quite work out Emmerdale and all the different families who suddenly happen to live in the Big Hoose! Up here we have a really good soap called River City - well, I think it's good, anyway! tchsmile

annodomini Thu 18-Dec-14 10:10:16

I used to teach an Access course on cultural and media studies, one module of which was 'soaps and society' - very popular! I had to watch soaps for that and have hardly watched any since I retired, though I still miss Brookside. tchgrin

Jane10 Thu 18-Dec-14 10:12:49

I am fully emotionally extended by my adherence to Corrie, Eastenders and Holby. I couldn't cope with caring for any more characters! grin
I even find I have to watch them at the "right" time. Oh dear

grannyactivist Thu 18-Dec-14 10:37:59

When I was doing social work in Manchester I realised very quickly that not having a TV disadvantaged me with most of my clients. I borrowed a small portable and used to watch Coronation Street and Eastenders enough to follow the storylines and talk about who, what, where and when. I thought Eastenders was horrible, but Coronation Street had sort of day to day stories that were (at least in the world of soaps) more realistic. What did concern me is that no matter how far-fetched a storyline was, my clients thought it mirrored 'normal' real life.