Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Neighbours

(28 Posts)
Falconbird Thu 18-Dec-14 09:37:33

The only Soap I watch is Neighbours - it's valium for the mind - but they take it off for Christmas and it's not on again until the New Year.

PS can't seem to work out how to do the smileys.

Anniebach Thu 18-Dec-14 10:23:03

Same for me Falconbird

Elegran Thu 18-Dec-14 10:54:13

Just type exactly what is opposite the smiley in the list near the message box.

I will type one here, (but with a space between the letters so that they don't vanish and be replaced by the smiley) - like this - [ s m i l e ] - it is smile but with a [ ] at each side

So typing [ s m i l e ] but with no spaces gives you a smile

Falconbird Thu 18-Dec-14 13:22:29

Thanks Elegran

Going to give it a try.

{smile}

Falconbird Thu 18-Dec-14 13:23:04

Think I'm using the wrong brackets.

Elegran Thu 18-Dec-14 20:32:17

Yes you need these square brackets []

Kiora Thu 18-Dec-14 20:50:23

Oh I like it falconbird 'Valium for the mind' it makes me less embarrassed about watching 'the waltons' and 'little house on the prairie' blush

Falconbird Fri 19-Dec-14 09:21:47

I used to watch Eastenders but it's so intense. Neighbours deal with serious subjects but it's more easygoing somehow and I love seeing the fashions etc.,

Falconbird Fri 19-Dec-14 09:24:20

smile

Falconbird Fri 19-Dec-14 09:25:19

Thanks Elegran as you can see "I've got it, by George I've got it.

smile

Elegran Fri 19-Dec-14 09:29:53

Congrats! wine

rosequartz Fri 19-Dec-14 09:48:02

DS and I used to watch Neighbours together after I fetched him from nursery (he is in his late 30s now) I didn't realise it was still on! I also used to watch The Sullivans.

loopylou Fri 19-Dec-14 09:49:14

Think last time watched Neighbours Charlene and whatshisface were getting married........!

rosequartz Fri 19-Dec-14 09:53:05

Jason?

shabby Fri 19-Dec-14 11:06:19

I am a latecomer to Neighbours. My DH watched it with my DC and carried on watching it when they left home. Since I retired I started watching with my DH. It's the only soap we watch and has become slightly addictive - oh dear! What amazes me is that it is not the sort of programme either of us would normally choose to watch.

loopylou Fri 19-Dec-14 11:22:20

Do the makers of soaps add subliminal messages to draw/drag us in? DH glued to tv by Emmerdale (I swear he used them as agricultural advisors when we were farming.......)
Personally spend too much time trying to decipher who's who and the storyline to actually get hooked (getting slow on the uptake tchconfused )

Treebee Fri 19-Dec-14 19:47:46

Neighbours and Home and Away are the only soaps I watch. I find them more enjoyable than the home grown ones.
We visited Australia a couple of years ago, went on a tour. Love the relaxed culture.
Trying out a smilie sunshine

Marmight Fri 19-Dec-14 20:04:37

I never watch soaps but recently discovered 'Somewhere to Call Home' on BBC2 around 3pm. Set in the early 50's, it's the saga of an Australian family. I am completely gripped, so I record it every day and then watch 5 back to back when there's nothing else worth watching on the telly at the weekend. It's really silly and soppy, but different and of course being an Oz soap there is the nasty Matriarch who is determined to spoil everyone's lives and get her own way. Worth a watch although it could take some time to catch up with all the complicated relationships. I love all the 50's cars and costumes - everybody wears a hat with not a hair out of place and the ladies look as if they are permanently off to a wedding tchwink

rosequartz Fri 19-Dec-14 21:13:10

'Somewhere to Call Home'

Marmight - is it still on in the UK? I started watching it last year when we were there, completely gripping but I came home before the end so didn't find out the ending. I asked DD (who was equally gripped) not to tell me as I hoped she was recording it for me.

Nonnie Hazlehurst is good as the matriarch, really nasty and so unlike other parts she has played. And she did a recording of 'Go the **** to sleep tchgrin - she looks so different !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_WzkHRtX8

Falconbird Tue 06-Jan-15 19:15:42

Hooray - Neighbours is back - normality returns.

soontobe Tue 06-Jan-15 19:23:43

I like Neighbours too.
I have watched it from near the beginning.
I stopped watching it for about 4 years around the time that Steph was married to Toady?
Was astonished to discover that when I returned to it, that at least half the actors were still there!

It is not very taxing on the mind. Which is why it suits just fine at times!

numberplease Tue 06-Jan-15 23:12:43

I`ve watched it since shortly after it began, and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly characters who`ve split up from someone, or, worse, been bereaved, bounce back and find someone else. I still love it thought, likewise Home and Away.

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 08:47:57

Oh yes. Totally unrealistic in some ways.

soontobe Tue 31-Mar-15 18:59:39

Anyone else really enjoying the 30 year episodes?

I think that they have done a great job. I am loving seeing a lot of faces from the past.

numberplease Wed 01-Apr-15 01:22:58

Des Clarke hasn`t aged very well has he, compared to some of the previous characters? Mind you, neither have I!