Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Great British Sewing Bee

(55 Posts)
FlicketyB Wed 28-Jan-15 14:39:59

I think the Sewing Bee season has arrived. At 8.00pm this evening there is a programme called: The Great British Sewing Bee - The class of 2014 , which I assume is the lead into the 2015 GBSB challenge starting next week (?). I know the series has been made.

HildaW Wed 28-Jan-15 14:45:58

Yes - new series is now being trailed......I was a reluctant watcher....only joined half way through 2nd series...but really enjoy it.....such lovely quirky people and I find it makes me try things that I used to think beyond me. Bought a book on proper couture sewing/tailoring and have been actually having a go!

Retiredguy Wed 28-Jan-15 15:02:54

It's on at 8 tonight before Wolf Hall.
Destination telly in our house is GB Sewing Bee.
Mrs Retiredguy loves it.

rubylady Wed 28-Jan-15 15:19:26

I can't find it up to next Thursday so to put tonight's programme on a week and a half before the new series (if it starts the week after) is a bit early to me. I do love it though, especially our Claudia. X

Ha ha, watch this thread, boom boom!

HildaW Wed 28-Jan-15 15:19:53

Oh tush....and am actually out tonight....a huge rarity!

soontobe Wed 28-Jan-15 15:28:09

Hooray.
I saw most of the last series, and really enjoyed it.
Considering I hate sewing, and have always been totally useless at it, the programme must be very good indeed to get someone like me interested.

Has it inspired me to do any sewing though? Absolutely not!

soontobe Wed 28-Jan-15 15:30:00

Even my kids all gave up on me once they reached 12, and attempted any sewing in the house themselves, rather than let me try it.

TriciaF Wed 28-Jan-15 16:16:40

Looking forward to it - it inspired me too.
I've made a simple jacket this winter, but the price of good quality fabrics and lining , zips and buttons tends to put me off.

appygran Wed 28-Jan-15 16:41:14

Love it. So glad they have made another series, the last one really inspired me to take up sewing again and I have successfully made a few items.

Greyduster Wed 28-Jan-15 16:49:26

My only flirtation with sewing of any kind was sewing badges on GS's Beaver uniform, always hated it at school; but I was absolutely fascinated by the last series of GBSB. I don't even know why I started watching it, but I was full of admiration for the participants and their efforts and will certainly be tuned into this series.

merlotgran Wed 28-Jan-15 17:01:02

I hate sewing but I love watching other people doing it. hmm

I'll have to catch up with it on iPlayer because DH loves Midsomer Murders which also starts tonight.

Oh heck. How am I going to fit Wolf Hall into all this??

Ana Wed 28-Jan-15 17:01:07

I don't know what it is about GBSB, but I find it far more fascinating than any cookery programme, despite the fact that I haven't done any serious sewing for over 30 years.

I'm so glad there's a new series - something to look forward to!

MargaretX Wed 28-Jan-15 17:05:15

Thanks for the tip, I shall be watching.......

Crafting Wed 28-Jan-15 19:39:54

I love it I shall be watching too

etheltbags1 Wed 28-Jan-15 21:12:12

love it xxx

rubylady Thu 29-Jan-15 01:02:36

It's back next Thursday. X

HildaW Fri 06-Feb-15 18:11:32

Well.....what do we think about this years lot. The soldier is certainly a contender to watch. wink

Greyduster Fri 06-Feb-15 18:19:37

You don't get to be a Colonel without having more than your fair share of confidence, but he'll have a run for his money from at least one of the ladies. Should be interesting. I admire them all - especially the chaps. I can't sew a button on. Dreaded it at school; nightmare!

rubylady Fri 06-Feb-15 18:29:26

I did a tiny dance last night!

MargaretX Fri 06-Feb-15 19:07:23

Yes the Colonel made a lovely dress! perefectly finished but he said he'd made the dress before. It was interesting to see how the dresses turned out as some of the fabric chosen was very garish.
I liked it that not all models had perfect slim figures, it made it easier to judge the dresses. I'd love to make a dress again for really hot weather, but being older you have so many parts that need covering up. Just the thought of that puts me off and in hot weather I'm back to chopped off trousers , skirts and teeshirts. See what next week brings.

Gagagran Fri 06-Feb-15 20:01:51

I thought it said that they had been allowed to practise making the dress before? It's the first two tasks that are sprung on them. It does look like being another good series!

HildaW Fri 06-Feb-15 20:20:32

Margaretx.....glad it was not just me then....the dark poppy fabric was just a bit much for me....lovely dress but it did not say 'summer' to me....too hot and bothered looking. The young lad's blue dress, although not perfect was a good attempt and much easier on the eye fabric wise.

MargaretX Sat 07-Feb-15 14:53:26

Yes Hilda his was a dress that any girl could wear, and I wondered about him being so good and so young. I don't know anyone who would wear those poppies and two contestants chose it! I wouldn't even make my kitchen curtains out of it.
This reminds me of Queen Beatrix of Holland. Without wanting to upset her I always feel she has cut down the curtains to make her frocks, a bit like Scarlet o'Hara in Gone with the Wind.
Now I've gone off the thread- better get off to the shops!

HildaW Sat 07-Feb-15 17:21:20

Ha, MargaretX....it was a good thread though....think your mind works a bit like mine. I've actually come across a dress pattern on internet that makes a 'Scarlet' type dress....all green brocade and tassels!

Deedaa Sat 07-Feb-15 19:14:19

All those men! The ladies are definitely going to have to work hard this year! At least no one has gone home sick after the first programme this time.