Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Animals in Love

(11 Posts)
Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 18:59:23

Just caught the second half of this - fascinating! Worth getting on iPlayer to take a look if you missed it.

merlotgran Sun 01-Feb-15 19:04:04

I'll have to watch it on iPlayer, Mishap

DH's reaction was, 'Oh No! Not another b***dy animal programme! hmm

Soutra Sun 01-Feb-15 20:37:36

Very sweet -but also fascinating!!

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 21:01:06

I am not really into animal programmes normally, but this programme raises all sorts of philosophical questions about the nature of love and of humanity. Fascinating.

ninathenana Sun 01-Feb-15 22:30:37

Great isn't it.

Tresco Sun 01-Feb-15 23:42:31

I'm fascinated by the evidence (not just in this programme) that elephants seem to have ways of sensing whether people they care about are alive or dead, or coming back from a journey.They gather to mourn or to greet. I hesitate to call it telepathy, because we now know that elephants communicate by sounds we can't hear - but how do they know that someone has died?

Jane10 Mon 02-Feb-15 08:31:03

Yes tresco it was amazing hearing about those elephants. Too accurate and repetitive to be coincidence. Was surprised they didn't mention cats purring. Do they do that because they can't help it or because they are happy and fond of the cat/other person they are with? Probably not mentioned as it wouldn't involve the presenter travelling to exotic locations!

Grannyknot Mon 02-Feb-15 09:12:30

They didn't perhaps use the SA "elephant whisperer" Lawrence Anthony as an example of that fresco? Two herds gathered at his house when he died suddenly from a heart attack. They came from the far corners of the game reserve, walking for hours. He was an amazing man, saved the animals from the Baghdad Zoo too. He used to talk to wild elephants.

www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/Home-Page-News-and-Views/Wild-Elephants-Mourn-Death-of-famed-Elephant-Whisperer.aspx

Grannyknot Mon 02-Feb-15 09:13:07

Oops kindle made you fresco smile

KatyK Mon 02-Feb-15 10:07:05

I've recorded it and will watch it with my granddaughter. She is animal mad smile

Tresco Mon 02-Feb-15 23:19:52

Yes, it was about Lawrence Anthony. Dame Daphne Sheldrick, who started the elephant orphanage in Kenya with her husband David, says she believes elephants are telepathic.
www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/updates/updates.asp?ID=755