Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Banished

(44 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 05-Mar-15 22:00:46

Codswallop!

Anne58 Thu 05-Mar-15 22:06:05

Over produced and over music'd (you know what I mean!) and as for the syrupy happy ending!

Ana Thu 05-Mar-15 22:19:16

Gave up on this after 15 minutes...awful!

campodol Thu 05-Mar-15 22:36:20

agree with all your comments we banished it after only 5 minutes

Lona Thu 05-Mar-15 22:49:54

Well, that saves me watching it!

Anya Thu 05-Mar-15 22:57:04

Oh dear, I've recorded it. Sounds like it's not worth watching then.

Grannyknot Thu 05-Mar-15 23:00:30

Awful.

ninathenana Thu 05-Mar-15 23:23:29

You should all have been watching Super Vet smile

numberplease Fri 06-Mar-15 00:10:41

I`ve recorded it as well, don`t know whether to watch it or not now.

nannieroz111 Fri 06-Mar-15 05:17:55

I was enjoying it so much............ I fell asleep. smile

Maggiemaybe Fri 06-Mar-15 09:31:39

Oh dear. It was so disappointing. I expected so much better from the man who gave us Cracker.

nigglynellie Fri 06-Mar-15 09:32:45

I thought it was brilliant! But then I'm simple soul.and easily pleased. Super Vet was brilliant too.

Anne58 Fri 06-Mar-15 09:33:25

On the subject of Supervet, I do enjoy it, but feel that he is in danger of becoming a parody of himself.

pompa Fri 06-Mar-15 09:56:00

Awful, hated it.

Greyduster Fri 06-Mar-15 10:09:43

Me too! Gave up and switched off!

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-15 10:13:29

I agree about Supervet, phoenix. I didn't like the first series because his enormous ego seemed to overshadow his brilliance. I warmed to him a bit more in the second series because the animals seemed to be getting more of a look in but last night I could picture a French and Saunders sketch in the making. hmm

kittylester Fri 06-Mar-15 10:16:21

Re Banished, did they use 'those' words in those days?

We will watch next week as DH says he thinks it will be a slow burner!!

tanith Fri 06-Mar-15 10:56:39

I quite enjoyed it but there was definitely something not right about some of the language , I can't quite put my finger on it.. we missed the first 8mins as OH had it on the wrong channel and I wasn't paying attention..
Agree about Supervet his style reminds me a bit of Cesar Millan the dog whisperer.. some of the thousands those people must of spent on their animals is scary..

TerriBull Fri 06-Mar-15 12:06:23

Glad it wasn't just me then, I thought it was boring, my husband thought it wasn't too bad, so he will probably watch it next week, I don't know whether I can be bothered, might, but it won't get my undivided attention. About the language tanith, I'm not sure they would have used the word "shag" was that around in the late 18th century? undoubtedly the f word was, I imagine they would have used that then, Maybe Jimmy McGovern thought shag would be more acceptable in the context. The vernacular should be authentic in a historical drama otherwise it looks as if it hasn't been researched properly.

kittylester Fri 06-Mar-15 12:16:33

But what about the w word?

Eloethan Fri 06-Mar-15 13:04:39

I usually like Jimmy McGovern's stuff and I was looking forward to this, but I did find this disappointing and rather ludicrous, grim and overwrought. A lot of it just didn't make sense to me and the hanging scene that suddenly transformed into a marriage scene was, to my mind, quite ridiculous.

I'm not keen on dramas where there are out and out "baddies" and out and out "goodies". It seemed a bit pantomimish to me.

Given that I like the writer so much, I'll give it one more go.

Pittcity Fri 06-Mar-15 14:11:13

I saw an interview with some of the cast and they said that they didn't think it was historically accurate, just a Jimmy McGovern work of fiction.

DH thought that a gallows was an apt place to get married grin

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-15 14:23:15

The ending was ridiculous. She had just been given twenty five lashes, her back was badly cut yet she doesn't flinch as he flings her over his shoulder and strides off no doubt to fling her on her back and have his wicked way with her.

What tosh!

Anne58 Fri 06-Mar-15 15:30:08

Going back briefly to Supervet, do you remember the characters in (I think) The Fast Show, who were always sort of going off into the wilderness in 4wd vehicles with cries of "Yeah! Let's off road!!" ..............

Maggiemaybe Fri 06-Mar-15 15:59:12

One of the critics (Sam Wollaston) has described Banished as I'm A Convict, Get Me Out of Here, and wonders how Russell Tovey could possibly starve with all those witchetty grubs to go at. grin