Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Richard III

(133 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 21-Mar-15 19:08:50

For history lovers there's a drama/doc on Channel 4 at 9pm tonight about the Princes in the Tower. I think we're promised a bit of a Plantagenetfest over the next few days.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-31990721

granjura Sat 21-Mar-15 19:28:21

Thanks for that - looking forward to it.

An exciting day for my adoptive town tomorrow- wish I was there.

rosequartz Sat 21-Mar-15 19:32:11

Thanks merlotgran
I missed that - DH was just moaning about there being nothing on tonight - and he is the history buff!

merlotgran Sat 21-Mar-15 20:42:00

I love all the speculation surrounding the deaths of the princes. My money has always been on Margaret Beaufort but......who knows??

granjura Sat 21-Mar-15 20:43:56

Same here- a very ambitious mother for her son- whom she knew had scant claim to the throne ...

Deedaa Sat 21-Mar-15 21:12:45

I know we should feel sympathy for Margaret Beaufort enduring a hideous childbirth at the age of 13 but really she was an awful woman. Shame they can't re examine the bones that were found in the tower, but the Queen is keeping well out of the whole thing so that's never likely to happen.

Greenfinch Sun 22-Mar-15 09:18:12

What a terrible waste of money being spent around a long-gone King. All that is being spent on the pomp and ceremony could be better given to the food banks. A small acknowledgement is all that is necessary.

Teetime Sun 22-Mar-15 09:25:56

The money that is being spent is about bringing tourism, jobs and opportunity to Leicester which in relation to other cities is pretty poorly off and badly in need of regeneration so in that sense I think its an excellent piece of marketing and development. Leicester is only 12 miles from us but we are waiting for the hoo ha to die down before we visit- we didn't get a place in the ballot for one of the ceremonies - seems all the great and the good in this town did though - funny aint it?

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 09:33:03

Yes, what Teetime said- Leicester has been the poor sister as compared to Nottingham from the point of view of tourism, etc so it is time it receives more and better attention. The town centre is very nice, great restaurants, cafés, shops, covered Market, and a magnificent shopping mall, with a great John Lewis, Debenhams, Apple store and so much more.

I am definitely rooting for 'my' Leicester and can't wait to visit.

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 09:33:50

So, according to the documentary last night, Buckingham looks like he could be the culprit!

J52 Sun 22-Mar-15 09:39:56

I agree, Leicester is often missed out in favour of other cities.it has many redeeming features and history, as outlined by Granjura.

It suffered in the 60s/70s because many of the beautiful buildings were demolished to make a ring road. Fortunately, the unsightly inner city office blocks are being replaced by attractive buildings and open spaces.

It is a harmonious city, with two Universities, the National Space Centre and of course has a fantastic Rugby team, The Leicester Tigers! X

kittylester Sun 22-Mar-15 09:53:26

Surprisingly, I agree with Teetime, granjura and J52. grin

We live about 12 miles away, too, and recently spent the day doing touristy things and really appreciated all that our city had to offer. I would add that the area around the Castle gardens is fabulous, the scenery in the county is glorious, the curries are rated world class and we have the biggest Diwali celebrations outside of India.

I dislike the self-serving elected Mayor but he has made a good job of promoting and enhancing the area around the Cathedral.

So, come and visit Leicestershire!

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 11:20:43

When the huge shopping centre was built behind the High Street- all the facades of the old Victorian houses were kept- in order to somehow compensates for the horrors of the 60s/70s- and it works really well.

Shopping in Leics is so much better than in Nottigham for instance, which is split on 2 separate sites quite a distance away.

The Old Medieval Guildhall, next to the Cathedral, is small but wonderful.

rosequartz Sun 22-Mar-15 11:21:54

Thankyou, granjura for the info.
I must confess that I fell asleep for half of the programme and the bits I did see didn't sem to enlighten me any further!

Surely more historical tours = more tourists = more facilities needed = more money spent = more jobs = fewer food banks.

Money spent on food banks = short term fix.

PS DN volunteers in a food bank and tells me they are very well supplied by generous donations.

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 12:16:47

Anything that generates extra income via tourism is OK by me and I wish Leicester all the best with this opportunity.

I didn't think the programme was very enlightening either.

whitewave Sun 22-Mar-15 14:38:28

I think that he should have been buried in York Minster. I am sure if asked he would not have chosen Leicester.

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 14:54:49

That door has already bolted, no ? ;)

whitewave Sun 22-Mar-15 14:59:03

Yes!

whitewave Sun 22-Mar-15 15:01:14

Although I don't suppose he would have understood the arguments i.e. tourist income comes above the Lord's Anointed.

J52 Sun 22-Mar-15 15:04:02

Is there a suggestion that Leicester Cathedral is less worthy than York Minster? x

hildajenniJ Sun 22-Mar-15 15:05:08

His bones have rested in Leicester for 500 years. I think that it is completely appropriate that he remains there. He was buried by the Monks of Grey Friars in the most honoured position in the Church. Leicester Cathedral is a fitting place for his remains to rest.

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 15:05:20

Well to be fair ... lol ;) but York has go too many tourists anyhow ;)

whitewave Sun 22-Mar-15 15:25:05

Richard of York gives a clue grin plus I think that I would rather be buried with where I was associated and remembered and not where I met my violent death and the way my body arrived in Leicester to be followed by a hurried burial.

rosequartz Sun 22-Mar-15 16:05:04

I think you're right, whitewave but he doesn't have much say in the matter unfortunately hmm
Perhaps if they plant a few white rose bushes around Leicester he may like it better.

granjura Sun 22-Mar-15 17:10:51

Watching now. Very exciting, with John Snow.