Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Monster

(10 Posts)
Anne58 Sat 28-Mar-15 10:28:43

This was the title of the afternoon play on Radio 4 yesterday. It centred on the male characters and their behaviour. It was partly narrated and that style usually puts me off, but it was so gripping that I ended up sitting in the car in Morrisons car park for 20 minutes so that I could listen to the end.

Anyone else hear it?

rosesarered Sat 28-Mar-15 10:32:37

No, but I usually love the plays on radio 4.Can just imagine you sitting there (Bideford?) I use to like the store there.

rosesarered Sat 28-Mar-15 10:33:51

In fact I can't think of a radio4 play that I haven't liked, as they are usually gripping.

Anne58 Sat 28-Mar-15 10:35:24

Yes roses it was indeed Bideford!

I would recommend the play to everyone, very thought provoking.

Anne58 Sat 28-Mar-15 21:41:20

I must admit to being a bit disappointed by the lack of response to this, ok not very many members listen to Radio 4, and those that do might not catch the afternoon drama thingy , and I will be quite happy to state that (in my opinion) some of them aren't top of anyones list.

Oh heck, enough, time for some rhubarb crumble, just to check if the sugar is right

Depression is a bit more than (oh shit, bit of bad patch, sometimes,) part means that it often creeping up on you when you/one least expect it.

Sorry, sure it will all be daffodils again soon.

janerowena Sat 28-Mar-15 23:55:43

Maybe the timing of when it was broadcast is the problem. At that time I was seeing monsters of a very different kind - walking around the Harry Potter studios. Actually, Monsters was on a, Friday was Frankie Howerd and that one, I had intended to listen to but couldn't. So you reckon it was worth catching up with on iplayer then?

Iam64 Sun 29-Mar-15 10:03:03

I heard the play phoenix and like you, was gripped. I'd listened to the Archers whilst tidying the kitchen and planned to turn to radio 2, then remembered Jonothan Ross was covering the Steve Wright show so stayed on radio 4. Excellent play which was very topical, given the Jeremy Clarkson issue.

J52 Sun 29-Mar-15 11:03:37

I listened to Monster and agree it was particularly good, as have many recently.
I often work at my desk and listen, meaning to turn it off after the Archers, but then get hooked by the play.

I didn't listen to the Frankie Howard one, but plan to catch up later. x

rosesarered Sun 29-Mar-15 20:20:08

I heard a bit of the Monster play this evening on radio 4 pick of the week, also the Frankie Howerd one, both sounded really good. as did whatever Roger Allam was in, about waking up in St.James'Park with his trousers missing!

rosesarered Sun 29-Mar-15 20:21:51

Hope that you feel more your usual cheerful self again soon Phoenix, we can't predict when or why these black moods descend can we, the only good thing is that they do go away after a while.