We must not sit around contemplating anything

(27 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Apr-15 09:55:28

according to this lot on the Today Programme this morning

Up and at it. hmm

Ana Fri 17-Apr-15 11:23:51

Goodness, I hadn't realised the Green Goddess was 76! shock

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 17-Apr-15 12:17:24

I thought it was very funny that the professor bloke really thought 'psychology' began with an 's'. I don't think it's working for him. grin

Eloethan Fri 17-Apr-15 18:29:58

I think there were some very good tips here - especially about how to relax the muscles after hunching over a computer!

I agree that it is important to walk on a regular basis and generally keep oneself active - both physically and mentally.

However, it concerns me that what might be taken from these very good pointers is a feeling that those who are experiencing mobility or health problems really only have themselves to blame.

Not everybody has the same genetic make up and I do think that some people are just naturally more healthy and fit than others.

I know people who have never done much exercise or worried too much about maintaining a healthy lifestyle and yet they are fitter than others I know who have made great efforts to stay active and mentally alert.

Ana Fri 17-Apr-15 18:43:02

Yes, and the implication that we should have taken ourselves in hand by the age of 30 came a bit late for a great many viewers, I'd have thought!

I know it's never too late to improve one's lifestyle and ditch bad habits, but they didn't actually make that point. Diana Moran, especially, came over as rather smug...

FlicketyB Sat 18-Apr-15 08:44:25

I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but whenever I hear pundits like this on the radio, or any other media, even though they are preaching to the converted, I have an overwhelming urge to cancel my walk and slump in front of daytime telly eating chocolate all day.

i do not like either chocolate or day time television but I am sick to the back teeth of being hectored day and night on the media by people telling me what to eat, what to wear, how to lead my life and all the time people get fatter - or more emaciated and less fit. Does it ever occur to any of these pundits that if they just shut up and went away for ten years people would stop being obsessed by what they eat or do and we would all be able to relax back into sensible life styles where we are not so self-obsessed.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 09:20:03

I completely agree with you FlicketyB. Is there really anyone who hasn't got the message loud and clear by now? Time to leave us alone methinks.

rosequartz Sat 18-Apr-15 09:20:47

Spot on, flicketyb..I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I dislike being told what I should or should not be doing, it's bad for my stress levels!

rosequartz Sat 18-Apr-15 09:22:08

And the only exercise I take as a consequence is digging my heels in!

(Just ask DH grin)

rosequartz Sat 18-Apr-15 09:24:02

And (oh, do get it over in one, rose):

www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/william-henry-davies.html

nigglynellie Sat 18-Apr-15 10:29:57

I agree too, and like others have become sick and tired at (a) being preached to in a reproving tone as to how I should be living/leading my life, and (b) being made to feel guilty and anxious to the point of neurosis if I deviate off the prescribed path!! What really rattles me is that sometimes we're told that this is good for you and that is bad, only to have this advice contradicte a few months/years later! FHS, I think most people know that certain life styles are better than others, and that most people are sensible enough to tailor a life style that is appropriate for them, or not as the case may be. My reaction to being told what to do is ' GO AWAY!

AshTree Sat 18-Apr-15 10:33:51

Well said FlicketyB. They are so very patronising. I'm not as fit as I should be, but I sure as hell don't need the Green Goddess to tell me. The only thing these media articles achieve is a rise in stress levels and BP hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 10:34:06

Is it ok if I sit and stare today roseq. (Sprained my ankle #goneblue)

Ana Sat 18-Apr-15 10:43:14

See! Exercise can be bad for you.

Just be careful your sitting and staring doesn't turn into meditation, jingl (Green Goddess says it's good for you hmm)

GillT57 Sat 18-Apr-15 11:44:27

Agreed Flickety I hate all these hectoring people telling me what i should and shouldnt eat. The guidance keeps changing anyway. Also, so much of it is stating the bl**ding obvious.......we all know that you shouldn t eat takeaways every night. Ask yourselves who would you rather look like? Nigella Lawson with a fridge full of cream, butter and home cooked food, or Gillian McKeith with a fridge full of bean shoots, seaweed and kale smoothies.

crun Sat 18-Apr-15 13:37:51

I don't see what there is to sneer at, it's just common sense. There is too much obesity and too little exercise, not the other way around, that's why so much is said about the unfit and obese bankrupting the NHS before much longer. I despair at how fast I've been going down the plughole since my heart forced me to stop cycling. It's exasperating to watch those who could exercise but don't, when I want to exercise but can't, especially when I keep getting told that there's no reason not to exercise.

Regarding smugness, you only need to watch healthy eating threads on the internet to see that many are not about healthy eating at all. They quickly morph into cookery threads, full of gourmets crowing about how their diet must be healthy because they cook it all from scratch.

Perhaps anyone who thinks he really can't spell psychology should consider all those who refer to reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic as the three Rs.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 14:32:01

But it's not aimed at the overweight or the obese.It's aimed at older people. It is instructions on how to stay able to care for yourself until you are ninety. Instructions which might or might not, work. It is purely aimed at saving money rather wasting it on old people.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 14:54:01

and who is "sneering" anyway?! confused

crun Sat 18-Apr-15 17:14:19

So what are you suggesting, that they're not advocating exercise in the attempt to reduce obesity and improve fitness, or that obesity and poor fitness only affect the young?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 17:27:40

I think everyone needs to be health conscious. Why direct it at the elderly, as though we are a race apart? Do they think we become stupid as we get older?

Do you know what? I don't actually give a stuff! hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 17:28:41

And your post doesn't make any sense.

rosequartz Sat 18-Apr-15 18:42:09

I was going to say that too, that it is not aimed at the obese, it's aimed at older people - who may be overweight (or not); from what I observe when out and about it is mainly younger people who are obese.

The thing is, as I pointed out to someone I worked with who went running at lunch-time - how will you ever know that it will help you to live until you're 90? If you don't run you could live until you're 100.

rosequartz Sat 18-Apr-15 18:43:07

Hope your ankle is better soon, jinglbellsfrocks

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Apr-15 18:45:43

That you roseq. (it bloomin' hurts hmm - should look where I'm going on steps)

whitewave Sat 18-Apr-15 18:49:28

Sprained ankles are no joke I sprained mine years ago walking home from school with the children and as I lay there said "shit shit shit" when DH came to rescue me the children were all agog to tell him that Mum swore!!

It hurt mostly as night don't know why.