Gransnet forums

Travel

Winter sun

(27 Posts)
supermum48 Sun 31-Aug-14 22:41:19

Thinking of a winter sun holiday in Feb/March next year. We don't want to travel too far and DH wants a promenade, plus cafés and bars within walking distance. Can anybody suggest a good resort?
Have also looked at winter sun cruises, but reviews seem to suggest seas can be particularly choppy at that time of year. Has anybody any experience of these types of cruises to The Canaries or similar?
Any advice gratefully received.

Coolgran65 Sun 31-Aug-14 22:45:53

Love the idea of some winter sun. And we also have booked a holiday. Malta in October, the travel agent matched the internet price and then actually came up with a 5* spa for only £10 extra each smile

Some years ago we did Lanzarote in February which was good excepting for a day of torrential rain that flooded the area for a few hours.

Sorry, haven't done any cruises, can't convince DH on the cruises.

Nanabelle Sun 31-Aug-14 23:13:22

We have had two holidays in Egypt at that time and the weather was lovely. Not sure that I would go in present times though. We stayed in Hurghada.
Lots of people seem to go to Spain still in the winter but I don't know how warm it is. We have also spent February half terms in Portugal, and was warm enough for shorts and tee shirts but this was about 10 years ago. Not sure what it is like now.
Look forward to hearing where other people go.

Mamie Mon 01-Sep-14 06:25:30

We spent three weeks in Jan / Feb in Fuengirola a couple of years ago. I wouldn't go there in summer, but in winter it was fine. It was about 20 degrees and sunny in the day, but the wind could be cold and we needed the heating in the apartment. Lots of bars and restaurants on the prom and visitors in shorts and t-shirts. Further back in the town the Spanish were in boots, coats and scarves. Good shops, transport links, indoor market and a real town, not just a holiday resort.
Next year we are renting an apartment near Malaga at the same time of year. We go to Spain to see our son and family and we like taking our car, though it is a long and tiring drive down.

suzied Mon 01-Sep-14 07:21:06

I am interested in going to Madeira in February. Anyone else been there at that time of year? Cyprus is lovely in November, or can be, but I don't know about February.

Brendawymms Mon 01-Sep-14 08:02:53

Maderia is lovely in March. Very good atmosphere to the place, very friendly and a lovely walk beside the sea in Funchal. Great gardens all in flower and if you really like walking there are many many walks. Highly recommend it. Lots of people speak English.

Iam64 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:18:23

The canaries, cheap and cheerful, and between January and March, quiet. La Palma, great for walking, quiet and beautiful. Maspalomas, on Gran Canaria is a great resort in the winter. Good apartments/hotels, it's flat and caters for older visitors. The walk along the beach to Playa del Ingles is fabulous. The temp is around 70, food is varied and it's easy to self cater if you want to. it isn't ridiculously expensive - I know it isn't for everyone, but for me a bit of sunshine and being able to walk in warm sunshine beats being at home in the grey January days

supermum48 Mon 01-Sep-14 10:57:46

We have been to Marbella several times in the winter and had some lovely holidays. Weather is often very pleasant in the day, but cool in the evening. However we did have one terrible week when it rained almost all the time. Generally good though, but we fancy a change this year, so keep the replies coming!

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 11:09:20

I would say the Canaries too, not too far to travel and good temperatures. We stayed here

https://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/hotels/spain/tenerife_el_medano/cheap_rates_medano_hotel_hotel.html?oid=187508&mkid=13994495&aid=1&dev=c&gclid=CK3rnOPiv8ACFbPJtAodckMAOA

It's a nice village and I really liked the hotel, which isn't exactly large but is quiet.

suebailey1 Mon 01-Sep-14 12:02:38

My experiences of winter sun have been very varied so I list them
- Tenerife this Feb - rained buckets and windy

- Madeira in May a few years ago - rained buckets and windy

- Gambia in December twice - lovely and warm- cant go there - Ebola on the doorstep in Senegal now and the begging is rife

- South Africa in December - very nice but a little cool early morning and late afternoon.

-Egypt (Nile cruise) in FEBRUARY - was cool but good for sightseeing

- Israel in January very nice - cant go there now

- Thailand cant remember when but torrential rain

Going to Barcelona this Feb but for the sightseeing so don't mind if its cool.
I hope you find somewhere nice my neighbours always go on cruises in January and have a wonderful time and are not seasick. Let us know what you decide.

whitewave Mon 01-Sep-14 12:19:28

Caribbean is delightful but a long way. We keep thinking of a winter holiday but anywhere gloriously warm is a long way really.

We did the Maldives one year and that was the most lovely experience we spent the whole holiday in the water snorkling saw wonderful things.

Nonu Mon 01-Sep-14 12:25:18

We love Mauritius in February have been to the same hotel 7 years running .
It is still as charming and the team cannot do enough for us.!

sunshine & smile

dustyangel Mon 01-Sep-14 12:31:48

I have a friend who takes an aparthotel break in Portugal for six weeks every year from the end of January to the beginning of March. She absolutely loves it and has only had consistently bad weather once.
The trouble with Portugal and Spain is that especially for a shorter break you just can't guarantee it. Horrible for people who can only manage a week when it's cold, wet and windy.

whitewave Mon 01-Sep-14 15:48:10

Actually seriously thinking of a break once DH gets over his pneumonia and is fitter again. We were saving for some fitted wardrobes so sod the wardrobes I say and hello sun!

Nonu Tue 02-Sep-14 08:14:05

Good for you WHITE.

sunshine

KatyK Tue 02-Sep-14 12:48:00

Good for you from me to whitewave. We are thinking of doing the same when DH's course of radiotherapy is over. Out of the sad, into the sun
sunshine

KatyK Tue 02-Sep-14 12:48:30

or too even blush

Nonu Tue 02-Sep-14 12:55:36

Good for you KATY .

A bit of sunshine , can"t beat it !

KatyK Tue 02-Sep-14 12:56:53

Nonu smile

Galen Tue 02-Sep-14 13:40:22

I'm off to the med in nov/dec for 18 days then a back to back to the Xmas markets. So a total of 21 days. Won't be warm but it will be different

whitewave Tue 02-Sep-14 15:30:56

Good for all of us I say!

Nonu Tue 02-Sep-14 16:23:40

smile
smile

Stansgran Wed 03-Sep-14 09:47:11

I'm thinking of the med for Christmas with the family. Has anyone been on the Queen Victoria? It's not a cruise liner you hear about.

whitewave Wed 03-Sep-14 11:05:30

My friend loves the QV. Has been 1/2 way around the world on her and has just come back from Russia Norway etc and thoroughly enjoyed it.

JennyB Wed 03-Sep-14 13:48:01

Nice is wonderful, it has 2 promenades, one by the sea and a new green one, full of fountains and flowers. Last 2 weeks of feb there is a carnival, which is fabulous, the better weather usually starts in march. Lots of wonderful restaurants and bars.