Gransnet forums

Travel

Holiday in Sept - where to go?

(42 Posts)
granoffour Mon 31-Aug-15 07:39:51

I am thinking of taking a last-minute break in the next few weeks. This rain is really getting me down and I need some sun! Where would you recommend that's a) not too expensive b)not far to fly c) not overly touristy
Ideally like something near a beach. Am I asking for the world? grin

janeainsworth Mon 31-Aug-15 08:13:10

I would love a few days on the Isles of Scilly or anywhere in Cornwall but you couldn't guarantee sunshine I suppose. Not particularly cheap either.

suzied Mon 31-Aug-15 08:14:02

If you can go in the next 14 days there are lots of bargains out there. I have just seen a week half board at a lovely hotel on a Greek Island £300 off. We booked a last minute deal to Cyprus last year and had a lovely week for half price in a 5 * hotel. Lots of European destinations would fill your criteria - Minorca, Madiera, the Algarve. There's loads of choice!

Anya Mon 31-Aug-15 08:57:23

Well I'm off to Jersey, all by myself, on 11th September, just to chill sunshine

granoffour Mon 31-Aug-15 15:23:36

Thanks for the suggestions. I might look at Greece. It's a little further than I was planning but at least you're guaranteed sunshine (please let me be right!) Jersey, sounds lovely Anya, would love to go there someday.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Aug-15 19:10:03

Barcelona would be nice along now. Got a beach too.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Aug-15 19:13:45

(says she wistfully)

granfromafar Mon 31-Aug-15 20:22:33

I'd recommend the Canaries for some guaranteed sun. 4 hr flying time but no time difference. If that's too far, Amsterdam is only an hour's flight and lots to see and do, including beaches. Have a good break.

rosesarered Mon 31-Aug-15 22:33:45

Madeira?

Eloethan Tue 01-Sep-15 00:57:36

I think Menorca and Ibiza are still very pleasant at this time of year (I especially like Menorca)

The Canary Islands - I've only been to Tenerife (Puerta de la Cruz - we had good weather and really liked it, but I believe it can be rainy in that area) and Lanzarote (went end of December - very warm and pleasant but didn't like island much).

I have heard good reports of Madeira - pretty good all year round climate.

Spain - Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca.

EastEndGranny Tue 01-Sep-15 09:54:12

Sorry this is not much help to Granoffour but as September holidays are being discussed, has anyone been to the west coast of Canada in September? I was wondering what the weather was like?

michellehargreaves Tue 01-Sep-15 13:08:13

EEG. Yes, I have; well at least, the coast of Vancouver Island. The climate is mild there, but it does rain. You would have a great time though whatever the weather. Great scenery and very friendly people.

tigger Tue 01-Sep-15 13:23:04

Portugal is about as warm and as cheap as you can get this time of year. The Algarve is lovely, people are reserved but nice and with the current euro exchange rate accommodation and food should be reasonable.

Daddima Tue 01-Sep-15 13:29:23

Zakynthos for me next week! Fabulous people, food, and beaches. You'll be hard pushed to spend €30 on a meal for two, with many places giving free wine, starters, or puddings.

EEJit Tue 01-Sep-15 15:29:57

On a Gulet off the Turkish coast. Heaven

J52 Tue 01-Sep-15 16:17:27

Small village on the Costa Blanca at the end of Sept. No crowds, lovely restaurants.

x

AlgeswifeVal Tue 01-Sep-15 16:22:00

Anya. What is it like going away solo. Have you done it before? Are you nervous about travelling on your own? hmm

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 16:36:41

Yes, I've travelled alone many times, the furthest to Ankora and where I very nearly missed the connecting internal flight at Istanbul airport. I visited Edinburgh recently, staying four nights at a bizarre hotel, though I did use the chance to visit the 'aunts' in Glasow one of the days.

I don't see any reason to be nervous travelling alone as there's lots of other people around and I always get there (and back) somehow. I like company usually, but do like just once a year to get away and do my own thing - go where I want, see what interests me, just wander, find somewhere to eat, get lost and found again.

rosesarered Tue 01-Sep-15 17:17:08

Sounds very liberating Anya.

rosesarered Tue 01-Sep-15 17:20:06

We are having a week in September at an old cottage on the North Yorkshire coast........it won't be sunny!
However I can really reccommend Funchal in Madeira, stay there and explore the whole small island. or nearer to home, Nerja in Spain.

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 17:20:21

That's exactly it Roses smile

rosequartz Tue 01-Sep-15 17:26:23

I liked Lanzarote (no high rise, interesting landscape) and preferred it to Tenerife where we went last year, never to return we hope!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 17:29:01

I would hate to travel alone. I get confused in airports. I need to hang onto follow someone.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 17:30:31

I am not brave.

annodomini Tue 01-Sep-15 18:34:56

I have no problem travelling alone. En route to NZ some years ago, I spent a week in San Francisco and absolutely loved it. A few times I've spent time alone in Paris, seeing the sights, museums, galleries and so on. Although it's nice to have company, I do like not having to work to someone else's agenda and just 'doing my own thing'.