Gransnet forums

Travel

Leaving a tip for the cleaner on holiday

(28 Posts)
jeanie99 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:26:59

Wondered what other members thought about tipping your cleaner on holiday.

If you have been given good service while staying for 7 days I always leave the cleaner a tip.

Our friend was holidaying with us this year in Egypt and stayed for a week in the same hotel when we got round to discussing tips she told me she had left the equivalent of a £1 tip for the cleaner for 7 days good service.

To say I was shocked is an understatement and I said these people receive so little pay and rely on tips but her answer was well they get paid to do the job and shouldn't expect tips.
If you have little money I can understand this but my friend is well off.

I left equivalent of £10 per week to our cleaner and thought that wasn't much, I guess I must be a soft touch in some peoples eyes.

Jane10 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:32:36

I'm with you jeanie99 and always leave about a tenner. I remember once we had to clear out of our hotel rooms but our flight wasn't until much later. The hotel kindly let us have access to another room so we could shower and change. However, it was the room used by one of our party. It hadn't been cleaned yet. We discovered that she had generously left 4 aspirins and a corn plaster for the maid! tbushock

tanith Thu 02-Apr-15 11:04:32

We usually leave a dish with all our leftover foreign currency or Euros sometimes its over generous sometimes not , swings and roundabouts..

J52 Thu 02-Apr-15 11:18:15

We also leave our coins, depends where we are, but usually gather them up after each day out as they are often fill up my purse and are heavy to carry.

If we have had particular service we do tip that particular person. In some countries, we from 1st world countries are extremely well off, so even a modest tip is a consideral boost to incomes.

After touring around Morrocco my DH put his old trainers in the hotel room bin. Every day they were removed and tidied in the room. It was only after seeing a market stall selling old trainers, did we realise that his trainers would be a valuable item, not to be thrown away.

He then carefully wrapped them in a plastic bag and placed them at the bottom of the bin. This made it clear that they were no longer wanted. They were taken away! Probably to live another day.

X

Mishap Thu 02-Apr-15 12:35:00

We are never faced with this decision as we cannot afford hotel holidays! But we have lots of fun on our self-catering choices.

Teetime Thu 02-Apr-15 12:45:16

Yes I leave about £10 occasionally more if something extra has been done. Holidaying in Africa the guides have asked us to leave any clothes, shoes and toiletries, too so we do. In Gambia once I had taken a box of Weetabix for DH (cant travel without them) but he didn't eat them so they were unopened. I came back one day and the maid was still in the room and she asked me what they were- I asked her if she would like to take them which she did with a big smile. The next day she told me her baby loved them. We knew before we went there would be a visit to the local school (the same in Kenya) and we had packed some Biros and paper for them as recommended in the guide books.

Eloethan Thu 02-Apr-15 12:46:39

I agree with you jeannie. £1 tip for a whole week's work is miserly in the extreme. It seems it is often the people who can most afford it who part with as little of their money as possible.

granjura Thu 02-Apr-15 12:50:18

We always leave a good tip- try to keep it proportionate to local prices- for instance leave more in France or italy than in Morrocco or Egypt- but even so, £1 seems almost like an insult (still, better than nought, but..) for instance. And as J52 says, depending on location bits of clothing, flip-flops or sandals, etc- can be really appreciated too. So are any toiletries, eg rest of shampoo or shower-gel bottle. When we used to run ski trips, etc- we always asked the staff (who are on very low pay, a bit like Au Pairs) if they wanted us to leave bottles of shampoo and shower-gel, etc, and they always said YES PLEASE.

We often rent a self-catered villa (as we will do when we go to Sicily later this month)- but also leave a tip for those cleaners- tend to leave more is we meet the cleaners during the stay and they try to be welcoming and friendly. Different of course if it is self-clean at the end.

shysal Thu 02-Apr-15 12:58:19

I have always left money, except in Gambia, where we gave toiletries, pens and notebooks for the children, and also gave a T shirt which the sunbed attendant had admired.

Stansgran Thu 02-Apr-15 21:31:33

I find that in Burma and Laos the cheap specs from poundsavers type shops are very welcome especially with older people in rural areas.i love ethnic embroideries and comments were made by some old women that they used to have so much better sight and used to find it much easier. as I use cheap specs for threading needles I have taken them as gifts.

Jane10 Fri 03-Apr-15 10:55:37

Nice idea stansgran!

KatyK Fri 03-Apr-15 14:53:52

We always tip in countries where it is customary. However, we were holidaying in Corfu one year (our first trip to the Greek Islands). We asked advice re tipping beforehand and were told that it was customary to tip. On the first night in our hotel we ordered drinks from the bar and my DH paid and gave the man who served us a tip (a reasonable amount). The man said to DH 'What is this?' DH said 'That's for you'. The man was furious. He replied 'This is my hotel, I own it, do you think I need a few coins from you?' DH was mortified. He was very dubious about tipping again, but he does anyway. Just a bad experience.

rosesarered Fri 03-Apr-15 14:58:46

Yes, we always tip the cleaner, if there are two of them, then five euros each.

petra Fri 03-Apr-15 16:39:29

The Egyptions love it when you leave alcohol in the room.

Katek Fri 03-Apr-15 17:54:17

Was totally confused there....thought you meant a tip as in mess!!

granjura Sat 04-Apr-15 11:41:41

SOME Egyptians Petra- others would be upset and shocked to be left alcohol- not all Muslims are secret alcohol drinkers!

We were so lucky to go on safari to Kenya and Tanzania about 10 years back, followed by a week on Zanzibar. The women cleaners worked so hard, and their men sad outside the compound smoking all day, waiting for their wives to come out so they could take the wages off them. Used to make me feel so angry. So I always made sure I gave them the money directly and told them it was for them, not the men... but whether they managed to hide it and keep it, I'll never know.

Juliette Sat 04-Apr-15 13:26:05

Do you all leave tips for the chambermaids in this country too?
For some reason we don't, only in foreign parts. I have never thought about it before.

rosesarered Sat 04-Apr-15 13:34:13

Yes, here in the UK as well, no cleaners are all that well paid after all.

Juliette Sat 04-Apr-15 14:03:33

Yes, of course you are right rosered and I am sitting here feeling suitably guilty.
Will review our policy.

Grannyknot Sat 04-Apr-15 14:34:37

katyk that hotel owner might have been insulted by the way he was treated by someone on a previous occasion? Perhaps by being given a paltry amount.

One of the worst experiences I have ever had 're treatment of staff was in a golf club in South Africa - posh restaurant - and a group of men at one of the tables who had been exclaiming all night about how cheap the sea food feasts were (when converted to GBP) - when it came to paying the chap's card was declined and when the elderly Indian waiter returned to the table and informed him, this man proceeded to throw every card in his wallet - and there were many - at the waiter shouting "Try this one this one" whilst the latter just stood there utterly dignified whilst the cards fell at his feet. I've never forgiven myself for not saying something. Bit off topic I know.

granjura Sat 04-Apr-15 16:47:48

Must say we have so often felt so ashamed how people behave with staff in Hôtels we've been to abroad- and have absolutely no sensitivity whatsoever that the food they mock or put their nose up at- would be realy luxury for the staff's families. And the absolute disgusting amount of waste left by people helping themselves to tons of food at evening buffets- piling food so high then eating just a fraction- when the staff and local people are so poor.

Elizabeth1 Sun 05-Apr-15 08:37:35

We always give a tip because of the hardworking souls who make our holiday extra special.

petra Sun 05-Apr-15 18:30:02

I can moly speak as from my experience in Egypt, Grandjura.
Because my OH had a ear infection while we were there we left about £100 worth of drink that we had bought at the local 'tourist drink shop'
The staff were falling over each other when I told them we were leaving it and that they could take it.

J52 Sun 05-Apr-15 18:43:09

Holidaying in France, some years ago, a group of us were staying in a gite.

We had a habit of buying unusual drinks to try at aperitif time. Not wanting to take any of our duty free allowance up we left what remained for the concierge, who inspected the property before we left.

She gave us an excellent inspection and our deposit back! Which, of course we spent on our duty free! x

soontobe Sun 05-Apr-15 23:27:42

It is nice to leave a tip if you can.