Gransnet forums

Travel

October holiday.

(24 Posts)
supermum48 Thu 21-May-15 18:03:51

We are hoping to go away for a week in the middle of October. We are looking for a seaside resort in Europe with a promenade and a centre with shops, bars etc. warm, but not too hot, maybe an average temperature of 18-20 degrees. Also it would be nice to be able to get a bus or train to somewhere else if we feel like a change. Any suggestions?

J52 Thu 21-May-15 18:36:06

Le Toquet? Nice? x

J52 Thu 21-May-15 18:37:33

Le Touquet! Sorry. x

ninathenana Thu 21-May-15 22:34:02

Canaries maybe

MiniMouse Thu 21-May-15 23:15:43

Lagos in Portugal (Western Algarve) is lovely at that time of year. There's a promenade. Plenty of restaurants, cafes etc, plus Marina. The station is near the marina. Good bus service. If you go there, try the Adega Marina, which is on the promenade and is authentic Portuguese, i.e. used by the locals!

suzied Fri 22-May-15 05:52:27

Funchal in Madeira - lots of walking, boat trips, gardens, buses to different parts of the island
Barcelona - museums, galleries, shopping and beach
Lake Garda ( not strictly coastal but lots of water) lots of boat trips to different towns, somewhere like Gargnano, where DH Lawrence stayed is smallish but loads of lake side restaurants and a ferry point.

lefthanded Sat 23-May-15 00:53:13

I would go for Barcelona too. The beach isn't huge, but at that time of year it shouldn't be a problem. There is a lovely Promenade, and you can easily walk into the city.

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 06:54:15

How about Nice? You can easily go to Monaco by bus or train, and even into Italy.

Jane10 Sat 23-May-15 09:26:48

I would second Funchal in Madeira. Beautiful place, kind climate and interesting things to do and see or just relax. Don't tell anyone though -we need to keep it as unspoilt as possible!!

supermum48 Sun 24-May-15 14:32:42

Thank you everybody. Have been to Madeira, but will look into the others. I fancy Nice, but it seems expensive. There are some good deals on Alcudia in Majorca or Salou in Northern Spain. Does anybody know what these are like in October? Have been told Majorca ' closes down ' around then. Salou has the advantage that we could get the train into Barcelona from there I think. Getting confused!

loopylou Sun 24-May-15 14:58:57

We did a last minute holiday in Nice (November I think) some years ago and it was quite reasonable, basic hotel off the front was clean and comfortable so you may be lucky.
We went to Monaco by bus and in to northern Italy by train.

Good luck!

tanith Sun 24-May-15 15:04:07

How about Gibraltar? if you haven't been its very interesting lots to see , it has several beaches and marinas, you can walk across the border into Spain and from there get buses/coaches to other towns close by. Its got such a tiny airport there is no fussing with waiting to board or retrieve luggage. Many restaurants of differing cultures in town and at the marinas , which is fun for watching the 'fabulous' people berthing their yachts while eating or having a coffee.

Of course its British so not suitable if you want 'foreign'.

DanielLee5 Fri 05-Jun-15 07:00:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

granjura Fri 05-Jun-15 20:15:01

Cefalu in Sicily (flight to Palermo) or Taormina (Sicily) flight to Catania.

SusieB50 Fri 05-Jun-15 20:24:12

I would vote for Nice . By Eurostar and TGV. We went in early October and booked B&B in a small hotel . Then just had picnic meals and tried many different places to eat,so not too pricey . Also ideal to visit all the little places along the coast by local trains and buses. Even to Italy !

Sweetness1 Sat 06-Jun-15 07:25:55

Palma is good.

trisher Sat 06-Jun-15 14:21:14

If you want to be sure of good weather I would choose somewhere on Rhodes. Rhodes town has bars/promenade/shops and an ancient centre with museum/cobblestones/ancient walls. It is a busy place so not so good if you want peace and quiet. It has great bus links to Lindos and the other beach resorts, or you could take a boat trip to Symi a fascinating little island. I have been at the end of October and it was warm enough to swim and sunbathe.

Tegan Sat 06-Jun-15 14:31:36

Isn't one side of the island better than the other? It's somewhere that I'd like to go to one day.

annodomini Sat 06-Jun-15 15:06:53

Kephalonia (Cephalonia?), a lovely island with varied scenery and plenty of good beaches and you can reach at least some of them by bus. Also good for walking if you are inclined to take exercise. On a Ramblers' holiday we stayed in the capital, Argostoli, where the entire population seemed to come out into the main square in the evening for a drink or two, and the kids played around them.

trisher Sat 06-Jun-15 16:13:50

Tegan East coast where Lindos is is better than the west which was the first bit developed and is rather dated now. For peace and quiet I would head further out to Pefkos or Lardos. Both have a bus link to Rhodes town. Lindos is lovely but very hilly and a bit 'party city' in the summer. I was there right at the end of October when the Greeks celebrate "Ochi day"- the day the Greek prime minister said 'no' to the Germans and Greece came into WW2. They still celebrate with parades, all the school children march and sing songs.

Lys60 Sat 13-Jun-15 19:36:05

Try our favourite city break-Malaga. Our go to destination for a mini break. A wonderful city!

hildajenniJ Sat 13-Jun-15 20:19:27

Why not try Piran or one of it's neighbours in Slovenia. Piran is on the Med. and in about half an hour you can get to Ljubljana which is a very interesting city. As you can probably tell, I love Slovenia, and would go there every year if I could afford it.

lizzi50 Tue 16-Jun-15 10:25:43

I'd love to try Malaga. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 3 or 4 day break in B & B?

Lys60 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:14:16

Lizzi50 do give Malaga a try. Easy to get to and a very walkable city-catering to varied tastes.